Membermynicknamerocks
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 2

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on January 4th, 2017 at 04:50 PM
Pertronix ignition

Hi everyone,

I'm excited, so I'm posting in anticipation...

Just purchased a pertronix 3 009 style dizzy, new leads, plugs, pertronix .32 ohm coil from ACN.

Still wondering if I should have bought the billet dizzy rather than the cast one... too late now...

The dizzy looks pretty cool, has a rev limiting rotor & apparently the advance curve is better than a stock 009, apparently the dwell adjusts with RPM - I don't really understand this, but it sounds good :blush:

I'm chucking it all in my '66 type 1 with an 1835 running dual Kads...

The current set up is a cheapy 009 from the look of it... I hate it... the advance is all over the place. Brought it home from the mechanic after a service, it was running like poo, backfiring and wouldn't rev, it also blew out big oily clouds when i started it... not sure how this is related though?

I've never really messed around with timing and carbs before, so I did some reading and bought a timing light. The timing was at about 42 degrees at 3500 rpm!!! at idle it was about 15 degrees advanced... no wonder it sounded like the starter motor was dying or the battery was flat... I pulled the timing back to 32 deg advance at 3500, which means it's now about 4 degrees advanced at idle... it runs like crap with so little advance at low rpm...

Well, fingers crossed it arrives soon. I bought a couple of other goodies too (quick shift, some gaskets, etc). I'll write up a little review when I get it installed, I couldn't find much info on the cast dizzy with the ignitor 3.

Hopefully I've made a good choice... has anyone tried this dizzy before? I was torn between going to just an ignitor 1 in the stock dizzy, or going all out with the magnaspark system... this is my attempt at finding middle ground. I decided the magnaspark was too much work at the moment (new child, and I study).

Well, as a famous Austrian once said, 'to conquer a nation, first disarm its citizens'. Hang on... wrong Austrian, I meant to say 'I'll be back'.
MemberSnap Crackle Bang
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 9

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on January 5th, 2017 at 05:05 AM

A few years ago I put the billet Pertronix in my type 4 powered beetle and I have been very happy with it. The billet version lets you change springs and range of motion to get a more suitable curve. Previously I have bent the stops inside a 009 to reduce the maximum advance so I ended up with 7.5 degrees static and 32-34 degrees max advance. That ran much better than a normal Chinese 009.

Go To Top