Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 2075 | Total Replies: 6 | Thread Id: 112334 ]
Author: Subject:  starter solenoid??????
Membergvangalen
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 7

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on April 13th, 2017 at 08:03 PM
starter solenoid??????

Hi My 67 bug has been driving perfectly , but today I turned the key to start it and the ignition lights came on the dash but it would not turn over , could this be the starter solenoid ? Battery is new and it usually starts first time every time . If it helps I jump started to get it going and later in the day it started normally with key but later in the day the issue returned . Any suggestions would be good . cheers!
Super Administratorbarls
A.k.a.: Mr indestructible
Super Administrator
Causer of Chaos and Mayhem

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 295

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2
Mood: indestructible? and listening to the voices

posted on April 13th, 2017 at 09:52 PM

first thing i would be checking are you getting power to the starter.
i had this and it turned out to be a broken wire under the back seat.

“We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.” Bill Hicks
the chaos project - click me

http://www.goats.com/store/images/banner_destroy.png
Super Administratorvw54
Super Administrator
Always Waiting 4 Friday

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 378

Mood: Oval resto ongoing

posted on April 14th, 2017 at 09:33 AM

use a screw driver on the solenoid to jump the starter with ignition on and out of gear

if it starts then it will be your ignition switch

Memberviiking
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 58

posted on April 21st, 2017 at 01:13 PM

I've also seen on other makes of cars where a worn starter gear or flywheel causes the starter to hang up. The solenoid engages the gear but it instantly gets stuck on a bad section and the motor can't turn. So it makes the same click click sound you get when there appears to be no power getting through.

If there is only one bad spot, sometimes the motor will start fine until the next time it hits that bad spot. The old method of overcoming this was to put it into top gear, turn OFF the ignition, remove the handbrake (do this on a flat surface obviously) and rock the car forward and back and most times it popped out of the bad area as the flywheel had turned to a new spot.

However, I too think it might be a bad solenoid, so do vw54 test first and just add the additional info in case nothing else works.
Memberjamesbond
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 12

posted on April 24th, 2017 at 08:58 PM

MMMM well that's strange. I'm having a similar issue today with my L-Bug. After driving the car this morning i came home and pulled out a heater box for some repairs. After putting everything back together I tried to start her. When I turned the key there is no starter, instead the hazard lights flash and the two red lights in the instrument panel come on. I didn't touch anything electrical. Is it a short? how do I diagnose it, why would this happen while I'm parked up? Any advice appreciated.
Membergvangalen
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

posted on May 12th, 2017 at 10:13 AM

Ok Just an update, I spoke to an auto electrician and apparently I have a 6v starter motor in a 12 v car.This was a common thing that was done when it was converted but eventually it will cook the solenoid. He has a fix and will do the job next week so I will let you know of outcome
Membergvangalen
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

posted on October 22nd, 2017 at 12:34 PM

I fixed the issue !,

It was the internal part of the positive battery terminal. It was a factory item and had internal corrosion that was not obvious in the crimped part of the terminal . The area that slips over the battery terminal was in perfect condition.

Go To Top