[ Total Views: 1873 | Total Replies: 3 | Thread Id: 113131 ]
Author: Subject:  TMI Door Card Vinyl Texture
Memberviiking
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 58

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on March 7th, 2018 at 09:21 AM
TMI Door Card Vinyl Texture

The TMI Door Panels I have, have a completely different texture to the originals. The TMI supposedly are "correct". These are off a 68 beetle. See photo.

I have posted on The SAMBA and also emailed TMI twice with the photos but have got not one answer, so I will try here for some local experience.

Is this the best I can achieve with reproductions? Are there any better? It's the same with the armrests. I have the smaller pre-68 door handles and they have a smooth texture. All the repro's seem to have the coarse texture to match the door cards.

My beetle seems to have a mixture of different parts as originally supplied. I know this car from new so I know these have not been swapped out. For example the original floor pan is not black but grey-black, the rear ashtray has a handle similar to earlier (oval?) ashtrays

I'm half tempted to recolour the 50 year old door cards I have and accept that the wrinkles and small tears are better than having something that is not correct.

Can anyone help?

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.
Memberhulbyw
Insano Dub Head

No Avatar

Threads: 130

Mood: I'm OK, RU?

posted on March 7th, 2018 at 01:15 PM

I have black TMI door trims in my '68. Probably 3 years old purchased through VW Heritage. I don't reckon they are as grainy as yours. Maybe they have changed vinyl suppliers My armrests are stock VW
The original door trims in my Beetle didn't match colour, front to back. Back were grey to match seats but fronts were a bone colour. I haven't owned it since new but have owned it for probably 35 years.

Cheers
Super Administratorvw54
Super Administrator
Always Waiting 4 Friday

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 378

Mood: Oval resto ongoing

posted on March 7th, 2018 at 06:55 PM

TMI is the BEST you can buy I had a set on my Type 3 for 10 years or more with young kids all over them

I wouldn't worry too much about the texture don't think anyone could pick that the colour and seaming are pretty good as per original

Nuthing else is close

Memberviiking
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 58

posted on March 8th, 2018 at 07:59 AM

Well that's a sad state then. Given how different it is of course it is not good enough.

Go To Top