Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject:  Ko 702
MemberPaulhvb
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 2

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on June 1st, 2018 at 07:31 PM

Hi Folks, decided to have a go at first panel....bit of a learning curve but fun. Looked at layout and reckon right side is correct for tabs in panel. So next challenge how to weld...spot welding is the answer for panel reatchment, so checked out welded I brought and it has a spot weld function but no instructions in manual or on line , it's as if they don't want to acknowledge this, so fiddled around and getting it figured, so there is hope. But would still appreciate if anyone could tell me the way the front corner is attached, is it welded or bogged up the front angle?

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

Error

Error
MemberPaulhvb
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on June 1st, 2018 at 07:35 PM

The panel, not perfect but I'm happy with it, room for improvement still needed a strengthing strut, will have a crack at removing old panel tomorrow. cheers Paul

Error

Error
MemberPaulhvb
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on June 4th, 2018 at 07:25 PM

Install begins......spot welded panel in ,in a few places, went ok, then tryed tiging in gaps....well I was warned about warping and shrinkage, I now have whole new appreciation for these issues, not ready to share progress pics at this point in time, some learning required...cheers

Error

Error

Error
Memberbevoracing
A.k.a.: Tony Beven
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 35

Theme: UltimaBB Vintage
Mood: Leaning against the shed wall !.

posted on June 6th, 2018 at 10:24 AM

Hi Paul
Sorry, I haven't been on here for a while. Your front guard looks normal for a first go, you can always come back to it later. The panels always fold one under the other, not always in a logical way. They spot welded them and then ground them with the period equivalent of a flap disc to smooth them out. Often the "top" panel and the bent edge got very thin near the edge and that makes them hard to re-weld when they split open, like the front guards often do. the front corners get bent in, then get hammered out again and split. You may have to cut out a strip near the edge and put a new full thickness piece in.
The spot welding function on mig welders can be problematic. You can buy a crimper / puncher for spot welding (super cheap auto) An air operated thing that crimps (steps) the edge of the sheet so one can step under the other for spot welding. The other side of the head has a punch that punches out 5mm holes to "weld through". You can also try pop riveting the panels together, spot weld them, then remove the rivets and weld up the holes. There's also a professional equivalent of the pop rivet but I don't know much about them? When you weld through a hole, do a tiny touch on one side with the TIG, cool with an air gun, then hammer out the warp, before you try and fill the hole. When filling other holes, and pretty much always, use the piece of copper behind the hole, it makes all the difference. Also, add a piece of metal, no matter how small it is. Don't forget the rust converter and "weld through" primer. By the way, the metal they used has plenty of impurities and can often be hard to weld, particularly the chassis metal. The new stuff you practice on will almost always be better.
Next trick, read up on how to "shrink" panels to get dents out, you'll need it if you want the stretched panels back to flat.
Keep at it.
Cheers
Tony

Country Buggy King & Link Pin Overhauls, Type 1 & 2 King Pins, General Machining.
http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=74138 
My car is KO813
MemberPaulhvb
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on June 7th, 2018 at 11:11 AM

Hi Tony, thanks for the tips again, yes I'm feeling a little bushed at present. knew it wasn't going to be a walk in the park, but was hoping for a smoother start, anyway am started and have tryed some heat and got panel back to 70% right so there is hope...I'm back to work for 2 weeks so will use this time to study up, will post pics tomorrow when at camp in transit today. your right about CB steel being inpure I wondered what was happening, just blew through, where as tests on new stuff went well. Thanks again cheers Paul
MemberPaulhvb
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on June 8th, 2018 at 04:03 PM

Hi Tony again, some pics of panel and spot weld trials, the panel has straightened up some but a bit more to go plus fill in gaps,so slow and steady, in hindsight I now realise that part of my spot weld fails are due to me working on panel at near vertical angle, top of spot would melt down to bottem and cause blow through, so will get CB into horizontal position in future, same with my tig welding till I'm better at vertical welding. Anyway for now I'm really enjoying the challenge and learning, looking forward to VallaMax to see and meet other VW folk and there drives particularly the CB,s, cheers Paul

Error
MemberPaulhvb
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on June 8th, 2018 at 04:11 PM

Spot weld learning, don't laugh too hard at home made shield, couldn't get real one so cut my own, it didn't go to plan, but it does work...:crazy:

Error

Error

Error
MemberPaulhvb
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on February 7th, 2019 at 10:01 AM

Well it,s been a while Macksville and many more fun VW events have come and gone and it,s time to get on and do what I want to do, not what have to do, sadly CB has been sidelined for a while. So finally back on board here are some progress pics, not a lot achieved, but welding has improved a little, and having taken on some of the advice offered it,s starting to work, though some bog may cover some of my short comings. Cheers to all.

Error

Error

Error
MemberPaulhvb
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on February 7th, 2019 at 10:04 AM

One more

Error
Memberbevoracing
A.k.a.: Tony Beven
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 35

Theme: UltimaBB Vintage
Mood: Leaning against the shed wall !.

posted on February 21st, 2019 at 11:28 AM

Hi Paul
I wish I could see the pics, some attachments I can see and some I can't. Nothing to indicate there's a picture there at all, when I'm logged in. Admin can't find the problem, might be from my end. Some appear after a year or so, it's very strange.
Anyway, I'm sure there great, stick with it.
Cheers
Tony

Country Buggy King & Link Pin Overhauls, Type 1 & 2 King Pins, General Machining.
http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=74138 
My car is KO813
Super ModeratorYogie
Super Moderator

Rank Avatar

Threads: 108

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue

posted on February 21st, 2019 at 03:55 PM

It must be something at your end Tony as I can see all the pictures on my computer.

Yogie
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top