Membervinsueball
Commited Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 22

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on June 7th, 2018 at 08:06 PM
Recommendation Needed

Hi All,
After some thought I've decided to hang on to my mate Bill (1970 VW Bug) and see if I can get it up to a higher standard than what it is currently...........mind you, a lot has been done on it "looks wise' i.e. full body off repaint, full upholstery, roof lining, upgrade motor to 1776cc, disk brakes to front and lot's of other bits and pieces. I've tried to keep him as standard as much of I can.

I'd like to use him a bit more but am concerned with 3 things that I'd like to get some advice on these 3 issues:

- Electrical wiring/ lights are an absolute mess. Spaghetti everywhere and headights are very dull. I'm thinking of getting it all updated but am not capable of doing it myself. Anyone have any idea of the cost this may be set me back to have it done professional and any recommendation as to who I could talk to?

- Heating system is stuffed !! Is it worthwhile trying to fix this or is it just too hard ?? Again, any suggestions in regards to costs and mechanic who could help with this would be appreciated.

- Front/ rear suspension and steering. All pretty loose at the moment. I'm not interested in any height adjustments or anything. Just want to feel a bit safer going around corners and a little less banging and bumping from underneath :lol: Open to suggestions here ??

I'm located in north Brisbane area and would welcome any recommendation as to who people may think I could talk to about these things in detail.

Vince
Memberbushed
Wolfsburg Elder

No Avatar

Threads: 66

posted on June 11th, 2018 at 09:11 AM

Kombiwhisperer in Tiaro Maryborough! for all your needs
Car can be driven or trailered up there. I got one.J
I can also check & fix your heating system ..pretty easy and cheap. Just did one on a 68 bug..Winter is late but comin!! send us an email or pm and will call you
Suspension may be simple like shock& sway bar rubbers and rattles from worn engine mounts & tin being lose.. Can give you a quick assessment and fix.

want any vw bits old but like me, Made in Germany!!!
Super ModeratorBizarre
Super Moderator
The artist formerly known as blue74l

Rank Avatar

Threads: 730

posted on June 11th, 2018 at 06:28 PM

Electrical
More than likely a dud earth connection is causing dull head lights.
New wiring looms are LHD only
Probably a day in an auto electrician

Heating
Get yourself a good condition set of early heater boxes. The sort with the cast aluminium cores.
Get a flange kit added to heater box and exhaust system
https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Heater-Box-J-pipe-to-Header-Muffler-Flange-Kit-...
Then get it ceramic coated.
Make sure you have a decent shroud. Not some pretty chrome jobbie.
Decent heater hoses.
You will be driving in shorts and singlets in winter

Suspension
FULL bushing kit through out and new shocks all round

Have a read here
http://www.aircooled.net/vw-handling-suspension-tuning/ 

Futue te ipsum!!!

Go To Top