Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Forum Rules
New guidelines are in place as of 15/1/2014. Please review here:

http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=104733 

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 710 | Total Replies: 4 | Thread Id: 113451 ]
Author: Subject:  WTB Sydney- Standard sized original conrod for 1968 Beetle***SORTED***
Memberviiking
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 58

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on November 15th, 2018 at 11:44 AM
WTB Sydney- Standard sized original conrod for 1968 Beetle***SORTED***

I have ONE tight conrod on my about to be re-assembled motor - single port 1500 for a restoration - not a racer.

I purchased a new VW OEM crank, P&C's but did not replace the conrods as they appeared to be OK after mic'ing up, but alas one is tight. Side clearance is OK but, zero clearance when plasti-gauging on parts of the rod journal. So I guess it might be out of round or has a few spots that are distorted. I tried to measure the inside diameter with the bearings installed, but get varying readings on the circumference of the rod which does not make it clearer if the rod is out of round above the limit.

I've shifted the offending rod to another journal and it is still too tight, have swapped bearings from another OK rod to the offending rod and it is still too tight. So I discount the bearings to a certain extent.

I'm looking for one good used original rod to see if the problem is the rod or the crankshaft. I want to test this before I go to the expense and hassle of having to get new rods, small ends honed and disassemble the crankshaft to get it machined.

Anyone got a good used one or a set if you are unwilling to separate?

Also anyone know where in Sydney I can get the small end bushings honed to fit if I have to get new rods?

Please PM me.

viiking
Membergrumble
Son of Jim - Creator of Good

Threads: 53

Mood: happy all the time

posted on November 15th, 2018 at 06:00 PM

I have some used con rods but you may buy what you already have, Mike at custom Bugs and Buses closed and resized a few sets of rods to suit the crank regrinds that he did for for me over the years but a good engine machine shop should be able to do the same. Mike will also fit and size the small end bushes to suit. if you would rather bvuy a rod PM me and we can organise something.
Memberviiking

posted on November 15th, 2018 at 06:47 PM

PM Sent.
Memberviiking

posted on December 2nd, 2018 at 08:10 AM

All sorted, thanks to Les/grumble. Replaced my tight conrod with one of his spares and everything spins properly.

Got a set of rebushed exchange rods from Vintage VW and all's well now with crank, but NOT with the case. It needs a line bore now with the new crank

:grind:
Membergrumble
Son of Jim - Creator of Good

Threads: 53

Mood: happy all the time

posted on December 3rd, 2018 at 07:35 PM

Talk to Mike at Custom Bugs and Buses at Penrith, he did a few cases for me over the years, he will be able to help. if you need another case let me know. Cheers Les

Go To Top