A.k.a.: Lee Noonan
Aircooled Master
Beetle Restorer - Experience over 138% - YIKES --

Threads: 449

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: Really Mentally Ill - all of the time -

nike.gif posted on October 17th, 2002 at 12:05 AM
New Case - NO Engine Number--

I know of a VW Owner who bought a New Pair of AS41 VW Engine Cases .. with Naturally NO engine number. He Has built up this Engine with No Engine Number....
Now if We were heavily taxed on engine size...like in Europe.... A 1200 engine number could be stamped onto the case... Anyway He still has an engine but no number...:D:D:o

- [size=4]Helping keep Air Cooled VWs on the road - location: SCONE in the Upper Hunter Valley - Northern NSW 320 kms NNW of SYDNEY--- [/size]
MemberPhil74Camper
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
Head in the Clouds

Threads: 193

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on October 18th, 2002 at 05:49 PM

Yes when I had my Beetle, I also built my engine on a new case and never bothered with getting a number stamped on it. I suppose it was illegal but no one ever questioned me. My rego papers always had the old 1200 engine number.

If a cop ever has a look and notices no number there, you could tell him it's a Type 3 case and the number is under the fan shroud! Hand him a spanner and tell him to go ahead and take it apart to see for himself!
Member70AutoStik
Insano Dub Head

Threads: 18

posted on October 18th, 2002 at 10:39 PM

Hmmm... Could be a little prob with the law on that one - cops consider an engine with no number to be stolen. I did have an engine rebuilt a number of years ago and had the original number stamped on the case - I'm not sure how legal this is, but it would be a lot less detectable (especially if you know the old case was junked, that way it won't show up on the computer.)
MemberKruizinKombi
A.k.a.: Col
Bishop of Volkswagenism
Seriously Obsessed Cyber Dubber

Threads: 104

Mood: Indifferent

posted on October 18th, 2002 at 11:12 PM

Take it to the local RTA (or whatever) office and explain the situation. They should issue you with an engine number which you then take to the mechanic or whoever to stamp into the engine case with the appropriate punches. My brother had the same problem with a missing frame number on a motorbike.

Kruizin Kol

Go To Top