MemberChe Castro
Custom Title Time!
ankle straps

Threads: 79

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: (( }:-{D]

mad.gif posted on August 27th, 2002 at 09:57 PM
odd brake problem

i am having an extremely strange problem, i have looked over all the RAMVA posts and no one there has ever posted about a problem like this.

What happens is when i release the brake pedal after stopping, the rear right wheel binds temporarily after rolling forward a bit. Sometimes it binds from a stop, its not enough to stop the car at any speed about 15mph, but it is absolutely annoying.

After stopping at red lights i have to let it roll back or reverse to release it. It only happens when i release the brakes to this particular wheel, it is NOT the flex hose, because it happens sometimes after the wheel has rolled forward a little.

this only occurs on the Right Rear wheel.
I suspect it is the lower slot things that screw into the star adjusters, the PO put in a later style one on the forward facing one (the type that has a shallower and angled slot, the older ones are deeper and the slot is flat)

My guess is that during braking the trailing shoe is pushed up by the rotation of the drum and pushed out of the slot a little which pushes it onto the drum causing it to bind.

Has anyone ever had this problem ???

thanks

Jon

Jon
Super Administratorvw54
Super Administrator
Always Waiting 4 Friday

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 378

Mood: Oval resto ongoing

posted on August 28th, 2002 at 08:57 AM

Jon

how do you know its not the brake flex hose... they deteriate from the inside and the outside can look fine.

Also it could be the brake shoe to adjuster star screw, the angles on these have to match and be free to move.

Memberspeedster356
A.k.a.: Peter Mcleod
Custom Title Time!
Plastic not Classic Racing

Threads: 256

Mood: Producing boost again in NZ

posted on August 28th, 2002 at 09:35 AM

Check the dia of the drum, could it be oversize and locking the shoe ? Just a guess.
MemberChe Castro
Custom Title Time!
ankle straps

posted on August 28th, 2002 at 10:19 AM

yeah i suspect it is the angle of the adjuster screws, i already filed them flat so the shoe sits in deeper, it definitely isnt the hoses because after braking it rolls easily and then binds suddenly.

jon

Jon
Membergeodon
Wolfsburg Wizard

No Avatar

Threads: 63

Mood: stumbling

posted on August 29th, 2002 at 09:44 PM
The leading edges of the brake shoes?

These need to be chamfered (spelling?)
Rather than presenting a right angle to the drum edge, it needs to be a more gradual approach.
MemberChe Castro
Custom Title Time!
ankle straps

posted on August 30th, 2002 at 10:14 AM

yeah they are chamfered, i have had a long hard stare at it and i think i might have figured it out. I think the lower return spring on the adjuster side was too weak, it didn't have enough tension to return the shoes.

Thus it would remain after braking, catch on and the self-energising action of the brake drum would cause it to lock. Reversing unlocks it.

i'll just have to drive it for a while and see :)

Jon
Member68AutoBug
A.k.a.: Lee Noonan
Aircooled Master
Beetle Restorer - Experience over 138% - YIKES --

Threads: 449

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: Really Mentally Ill - all of the time -

smile.gif posted on September 3rd, 2002 at 10:23 PM

What is a big concrete thingy? I'm sure We don't have any of them in Scone...
They may have something to do with traffic lights!! We don't have them either!:D or parking meters!!!
What a place to live...:thumb:D

- [size=4]Helping keep Air Cooled VWs on the road - location: SCONE in the Upper Hunter Valley - Northern NSW 320 kms NNW of SYDNEY--- [/size]
MemberChe Castro
Custom Title Time!
ankle straps

posted on September 4th, 2002 at 07:48 PM

yeah well it hasn't happened for a while now... i suspect that a worn lower return spring (the one that returns the shoes to the adjusters) may have caused it. There wasn't enough tension to pull the shoes all the way in so i think it may have caught on the drum and jammed itself onto the later style adjusters.

since then i have switched to the early flat longer style and have put the spring on a further away hole in the shoe until i can get new springs. So far hasn't happened yet.

My brakes were adjusted again and again when it was happening to no avail.

hey i just wanted to know, which way do u bleed ur brakes. I used to follow what muir said. that is to pump the pedal and hold it down, THEN release the bleeder valve.

In the other manual i have (VW 1200 published by Delias Klasing) it says to open the valve then pump only closing the valve when the pedal is fully depressed. Also a container w/ brake fluid should be attatched to the bleeder valve preferably above it.

I tried this method and it seemed to work a lot better, because i could not always get any fluid to come out of some cylinders no matter how many times i tried with the muir method.

Jon

Go To Top