Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 2197 | Total Replies: -1 | Thread Id: 15979 ]
Author: Subject: Legalising a lifted kombi ??
MemberKombicol
Officially Full-On Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 18

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: subariffic

posted on November 20th, 2003 at 04:25 PM
Legalising a lifted kombi ??

I have been contemplating monsterising the kombi a bit but am concerned about voiding my knock insurance and public liability,

So has anyone got a mod cert on a jacked up bus???? if so how???

I believe the regulation is no more than 2" is this correct??

and what about big wheels do they count as lift or can you lift on top of the additional lift provided?? and do they need a tag of their own???

it seems that the best way to lift the front is to box it in, similar to the way John Alder does it but this gives a minimum of 4" i think, and is lifting a car in this manner (aside from how much acceptible)

The rear seems relatively straight forward unless you want HEAPS of lift

I am hoping someone has been through all this shit already and can give me the 'good oil'

Col
MemberBrad
Wolfsburg Elder

No Avatar

Threads: 332

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Manx Buggy Building

posted on November 20th, 2003 at 04:31 PM
It can be done

Straight from QLD TPT as follows.

Bulletin dated May 2000 Number 35

Body Lift Kits and Suspension Height Modification

Due to an ever increasing demand for approvals of suspension modifications, Vehicle Standards have released the following policy in regards to this matter.

Body Lift Kits

The maximum allowable height permitted by Queensland Transport has been set at 50millimeteres ( 2 inches).

Suspension Height Modifications

The suspension travel in bump or rebound mode must not be altered by more than one-third of that measurement as specified by the original manufacturer.

It should be noted that both modifications can be performed simultaneously to a vehicle to gain extra vehicle body height but individual specifications must not be exceeded. Modifiers may have to obtain the original bump stop clearances to calculate the allowable acceptable increase. The wheels and tyres fitted to a modified vehicle must continue to compl with the requirements of the Transport Operations ( Road Use Management – Vehicle Standards and Safety ) Regulation 1999.

An individual vehicle modification application to be made to Queensland Transport for body lift kits (blocks between body / cabin and chassis mounts) up to 50 mm in height. Applications must indicate changes made to implement the modification (including steering and braking componentry and materials used in the lift blocks. Body lifts in excess of 50 mm will not be considered.

If acceptable a letter of approval for the installation of a body lift kit will be issued by Queensland Transport

Suspension height modifications carried out in accordance with good engineering practice will be considered acceptable where the suspension travel in the bump or rebound mode is not altered by more than plus or minus one-third of that as specified by the original manufacturer A vehicle modification application will not be required as this is considered to be a self approved modification.

Modifications that involve leaf springs remounted from under axle to over axle are not regarded as an acceptable form of suspension modification and will not be approved

Also check out Lifting a Brick

Brad
Why copy when you can own an original ?
Meyers Manx Australia

Go To Top