A.k.a.: Steve Carter
Scirocco Rare

Threads: 556

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Parrot Heading

rsvdclap.gif posted on May 5th, 2004 at 01:14 AM
Changes coming to NSW (all states actually) modified car rules

Hi

Im building a new 1303 bug and I went to have a talk to the engineer about a few things today and he told me that there are new rules coming soon for modified cars in NSW. He advised me to write down everthing I want to do to my car and submit it to him, he will then talk to me about what I want too do, file notes, and then when the new rules come in people with 1/2 finished projects will have a period of grace to get the cars finished.

These changes might also affect other states as we are moving to national road rules etc.

1302Steve

[Edited on 11-5-2004 by Baja Wes]
Memberseagull
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 752

posted on May 5th, 2004 at 01:55 AM

two weeks left australia wide I was told to day ! buy a god in the west

Looking for that special lady : PM me for coffee & cake
Member1303Steve
Scirocco Rare

posted on May 5th, 2004 at 08:26 AM

Shit, I better get my finger out
MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

Threads: 94

Mood: Content

posted on May 5th, 2004 at 08:47 AM

interesting. I will see what I can find out. The engineer that approved my car was writting the draft of the new rules. And that was ages ago. It has taken a long time for the states to agree.

I'm interested to see which new rules did and didn't make it through. There was a good one that left you run unlimited tyre sizes providing you could prove the susp and braking was suitably modified to handle it...

Wes - www.offroadvw.net - 200HP Quad Cam V6 in a VW Baja - with climate control... :)
www.taylorcycles.com.au - My DH MTB racing brothers shop.
Super Moderatorkombi_kid
Super Moderator
Good Kid too many projects

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 341

posted on May 5th, 2004 at 08:51 AM

well there goes my plans

it aint just cool its aircool'd
MemberVWCOOL
23 Windows of Awesome

No Avatar

Threads: 235

Mood: happy to help

posted on May 5th, 2004 at 09:28 AM

I read the draft of the new National rules in Jan 1996....

I think I know who you mean by the God in the west... might ring and have a chat

Pay your debts, CxxT
Member1303Steve
Scirocco Rare

posted on May 5th, 2004 at 10:07 AM

Hi

This is what Im submitting

Engine:

The engine is water cooled and is from a 1998 model VW Transporter, it is 2110 cc, it carries a DJ prefix and was a European only engine and was designed to use 98 RON leaded fuel and ran 10.5:1 compression.

I have been using Autronic SMC injection on this motor in another car. Inlet manifold is standard Wasserboxer/Vanagon with a Nissan Skyline throttle body and 410 cc VW Type 3 TLE injectors and a Bosch blow off valve from a Saab turbo is also fitted and is plumbed back into air filter neck.

Exhaust is a 4 into 1 extractor, 1.5-inch pipes and a 3-inch system all the way to the tailpipe and was ceramic coated by Competition Coatings in Sydney; the muffler is a Hooker Headers Aero chamber.

The turbo is an IHI RHB6 Turbo with a water to air intercooler made by Dave Stocker from LMS Engineering, a Grooco agricultural pump moves the cooling water for the intercooler to a heater core in front of the radiator.

In fitting the cooling system all of the standard Kombi cooling parts were squeezed into the rear of the car and the water is pumped to the front via 1.5 inch stainless steel tubes mounted under the floor pan. A modified alloy Ford Transit van radiator and Davies Craig thermo fan are used for cooling, the spare wheel well has been removed to allow the radiator to fit. Cool air is brought into the radiator through a factory air conditioned louvered front apron. The motor uses the same bell housing mounting as a Beetle, so no adaptors were needed.

I would like to also explore the option of fitting a 2 litre WRX motor in the future.

Rear suspension:

The rear suspension is from a 944 Porsche, it uses similar trailing arms to a beetle but they are reinforced and when used in conjunction with Porsche 944 spring plates they have adjustable height, toe and camber. the mounting points are the same as on a Beetle as they are on the Porsche 944.

The rear shocks are Koni Sports.

Whiteline sway bar on the rear has adjustable stiffness.

Front suspension:

The front McPherson struts have been shortened 4 inches to allow the fitting of Mazda RX7 Koni Sports shocks. The front struts also feature adjustable lower spring platforms, smaller diameter 150 — pound springs allow the front wheels to have sufficient clearance, these were supplied by Vintage VeeDub Supplies in Campsie.

Rack and pinion steering from 1975 L Beetle has been fitted, it only required some captive nuts to be fitted to the lower body in the factory location and the chassis to be dimpled to clear the rack.

The front sway bar was made by Whiteline and has adjustable caster.

The tie rods on the stub axles have been flipped to eliminate bump steer.

Brakes:

The front brakes use a Beetle rotor with braking surface removed, so it is now a bearing hub. The beetle rotor that was used came with a 5 x 130 mm Porsche stud pattern. At the back of the Beetle rotor, a 911 Porsche Turbo rotor has been bolted in the same manner as the Porsche part is fitted by Porsche axle hub, a thin aluminium spacer is sandwiched between the rear face of the bearing hub and the front face of the Porsche rotor to give correct positioning of the rotor in relation to the calliper. The ventilated Porsche rotor is 282 mm in diameter and is 20 mm thick, the stock solid Beetle rotor was 278 mm diameter and 9.5 mm thick. The stock calliper mounting ears have been removed from the stub axle, the 3 dust cover mounting holes have been enlarged to M 10, this replicates a stock VW factory drum brake stub axle mounting points. A custom made calliper bracket has been made from 6010 aluminium by Dave Stocker at LMS Engineering in Campbelltown (02 4625 4244), this attaches to the stub axle via 3 M 10 bolts. The callipers are fitted to these brackets in the usual fashion. Callipers are 4 piston and are from the rear of a 996 Porsche.

The rear brakes use Porsche 944 rotors with the stock Porsche drum emergency brakes. The Porsche 944 rear brakes would have widened the track considerably, so billet drive flanges were made by Dave Stocker at LMS Engineering in Campbelltown (02 4625 4244) to reduce the track increase. The 4 piston Porsche Monoblock Boxster rear callipers attach to the factory Porsche calliper mounting via a 6010 aluminium square block adaptor. This was made necessary because the Porsche 944 uses axial calliper bolt mounting whilst the Boxster calliper uses radial calliper bolt mounting.

Wheels:

The front wheels are 8 x 17 and the rear are 9 x 17, both are 3 piece Porsche replicas. The wheels use a Porsche bolt pattern which is 5 x 130 mm, the Beetle came originally with 4 x 130 mm bolt pattern.

Body:

1973 L model 1600 Beetle. The spare wheel well has been removed to allow the radiator to fit. Original heater channels were retained and warm air is directed through them to the demister and heater from a Toyota troop carrier heater core under the rear seat to the interior via an early Audi 100 brake cooling fan.

I would like to fit a single large windscreen wiper with a pantograph so that it wipes the corner of the windscreen.

I also would like to invert the luggage area behind the rear seat, this would give me more room to fit motor accessories.

Il would also like to fit some air scoops in the rear 1/4 panel to bring air into motor.

Chassis:

Chassis is from a 1972 Superbug. To get better weight distribution I would like to move the transmission & motor forward 4 inches, this would also give me extra room to fit a WRX motor in the future. To achieve this it will be necessary to cut the middle out of the centre of the torsion bar housing so that the nose cone of the transmission can go further forward. The torsion bar housing would need to be reinforced above & below where it is cut.

I estimate the finished weight of the vehicle will be between 980 & 1010 kgs.
MemberVWCOOL
23 Windows of Awesome

No Avatar

posted on May 5th, 2004 at 11:53 AM

Steve, good work! You may need to remanufacture the alloy bits in the braking system from steel

Pay your debts, CxxT
MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

posted on May 5th, 2004 at 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by VWCOOL
Steve, good work! You may need to remanufacture the alloy bits in the braking system from steel

I doubt it. The stock XF falcon caliper bracket is aluminium.

Wes - www.offroadvw.net - 200HP Quad Cam V6 in a VW Baja - with climate control... :)
Membermatara
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 255

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Grey
Mood: 356'd

posted on May 5th, 2004 at 03:53 PM

Steve,

Any idea what the changes might be? Engine size/brakes etc.

I'm putting NA 944 rears on my 61 Karmann on a 68 IRS chassis, and 944S2 brakes and rotors on the front with a bearing spacer and new steel caliper mount onto CB dropped spindles. I'm also putting widended guards on there too.

I'm trying to use as much of the Porsche brake/hub systems as possible so that I can run spacers (as they were factory items on Porsche hubs), but only if I really need to.

Cheers

Steve

http://www.matara.net/vwpics/myvws/sigpicx600.jpg
MemberVWCOOL
23 Windows of Awesome

No Avatar

posted on May 5th, 2004 at 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Wes
Quote:
Originally posted by VWCOOL

I doubt it. The stock XF falcon caliper bracket is aluminium.

Yeah, but aftermarket stuff doesn't have fatigue etc testing done for type approval. Many engineers I know - including, I'm pretty sure, the one Steve is talking to - insist on steel. Just something to keep in mind...

Pay your debts, CxxT
Member1303Steve
Scirocco Rare

posted on May 6th, 2004 at 12:06 AM

Hi

Im waiting for an appointment with engineer, I hope to learn more then. Leigh called the RTA today and they said there wasnt that much to worry about, the major changes were with the engineer themselves with how they go about doing their reports.

1302Steve
MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

posted on May 6th, 2004 at 08:49 AM

The new rules should be supplied by DOTARS, as they currently supply the "National code of practice for heavy vehicle modification", and also the "Street Rod" rules.

The new rules should be called the "National code of practice for light vehicle modification".

For now you can keep checking the DOTARS website and see if it magically appears;
http://www.dotars.gov.au/transreg/vsb/index.htm

The link above will also let you download the complete "Street Rod" rules and read them (the new street rod rules, dated 1/12/2003). I must say they are quite interesting. Especially this paragraph;

Quote:
Street Rod: The definition of a Street Rod used in this document is the same as that which appears in the Australian Vehicle Standards Rules, i.e.:

“A Street Rod shall mean a vehicle that has a body and frame that were built before 1949, that has been modified for safe road use, or a replica of a vehicle the body and frame of which were built before 1949.”

Note that vehicles manufactured in 1949 or later that are carry over models of a vehicle model manufactured prior to 1949, eg Ford Anglia, are included in the Street Rod classification.

A Street Rod must therefore have a separate body and chassis, both of which are of pre-1949 manufacture, or may be recently built replicas of the chassis and body of a pre-1949 vehicle.

You could argue a VW beetle is a carry over model of a vehicle manufactured prior to 1949, and there for is a street rod. Now that would be interesting...

Oh, and another interesting quote from the new street rod rules;
Quote:
This document has been adopted by the Australian Motor Vehicle Certification Board Working Party (AMVCB WP) as the nationally accepted Guidelines for the construction and modification of Street Rods in Australia. These Guidelines form an integral part of the “National Code of Practice for the Modification of Light Vehicles”. The national code of practice is a major project currently being undertaken by the AMVCB WP.

[Edited on 5-5-2004 by Baja Wes]

MemberVWCOOL
23 Windows of Awesome

No Avatar

posted on May 6th, 2004 at 10:12 AM

Hmm good stuff Wes - looks like I will be doing some heavy researching homework in the next few weeks!

Pay your debts, CxxT
MemberAndy42
Insano Dub Head

No Avatar

Threads: 47

Mood: 2.5t Subi Powered

posted on May 6th, 2004 at 10:12 AM

Well I have seen at least one Beetle with a front mount V8 that is regoed under the LH9 street rod section so Obviously it can be done. But there would be a lot of engineering ect that would have to go into it.

MemberHotRodMatt
Wolfsburg Elder
If it's old or rare - cut it!

Threads: 361

posted on May 6th, 2004 at 10:49 AM

Although a VW will meet the letter of the guidelines I doubt many clubs will allow it as it doesn't meet the spirit of the street rod rego scheme.

The biggest thing was dropping of the "American Origin" ffromthe pre 49 criteria a few years ago...
MemberPurple Martin
A.k.a.: Martin
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 141

Mood: warm & fuzzy

posted on May 6th, 2004 at 01:09 PM

Quote:
You could argue a VW beetle is a carry over model of a vehicle manufactured prior to 1949, and there for is a street rod. Now that would be interesting...

Would that count for New Beetles too?

1959 red & white Beetle
1975 Kombi camper
MemberCraig Torrens
A.k.a.: Craig Torrens
Scirocco Rare
6 times Australian, 7 times State Hillclimb Class Champion

Threads: 347

Mood: Time to go Salt lake racing, and actually achieve a result.

posted on May 6th, 2004 at 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 1302Steve
Shit, I better get my finger out

yep before more cracks appear in your current car !!!!:P

Member1303Steve
Scirocco Rare

posted on May 7th, 2004 at 12:30 PM

Hi

If you wanted to get around the street rod club not wanting you you could start your own club, but the Street Rod federation might not let you join.

2 V8 bugs that I know of are mounted on 1930 chassis to get around the rules.

1302Steve
MemberHotRodMatt
Wolfsburg Elder
If it's old or rare - cut it!

Threads: 361

posted on May 7th, 2004 at 12:43 PM

It's not really the spirit of Street Rod rego...
MemberAndy42
Insano Dub Head

No Avatar

Threads: 47

Mood: 2.5t Subi Powered

posted on May 7th, 2004 at 02:52 PM

Yeh I believe that they should have left the rules as they were for the Hot Rods and just started a seperate section for street machines. It has taken the hot rodders a lot of time, effort and money to get to where they can engineer and pass their cars through to rego. It is a bit funny in a way as when my projects are finally finished I will have a buggy with about 200HP wich weighs about 800kgs and a Tbucket with around 500 Hp which weighs around the same and they will both be fully legal

MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

posted on May 11th, 2004 at 11:16 AM

Ok, so I finally pulled my finger out, and rang my contact.

He is currently preparing the latest draft edition of the new code, and if he doesn't get interupted too much he will have it out for comment in a few weeks.

So the rumours aren't quite right. The draft is coming in a few weeks, not the final version.

He thinks the final version would be more likely around the end of the year if all the states agree (an ongoing problem from what I understand).

Anyway, I asked him if there is any rules that I'd like. He said they've managed to change the engine size ruling. It no longer splits up into chassis types and number of cylinders.

For 800-1100kg cars the maximum engine sizes shall be;
* Naturally Aspirated = 4 x vehicle weight
* Turbo/Supercharged = 3 x vehicle weight

That will open the options for VW people up a little more. It will make the EJ20T a much more clean cut yes. It will mean I could turbo/supercharge my current engine. It will mean we could see VG30DETT type 3's.

MemberMikeM
Custom Title Time!
Buggy Head

Threads: 71

Mood: :duh

posted on May 11th, 2004 at 11:21 AM

Are there any changes that will negatively affect us

In particular Buggies and Bajas?

Quote:
Anyway, I asked him if there is any rules that I'd like. He said they've managed to change the engine size ruling. It no longer splits up into chassis types and number of cylinders.

For 800-1100kg cars the maximum engine sizes shall be;
* Naturally Aspirated = 4 x vehicle weight
* Turbo/Supercharged = 3 x vehicle weight

What about for less than 800kg cars? Like early beetles?

[Edited on 11-5-2004 by MikeM]

Membertwobus
Commited Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 18

Mood: veedubbaddicted

posted on May 11th, 2004 at 01:06 PM

here in tassie there doesn't seem to be any rule about "street rod" rego, because you can get "special interest" rego without being forced to be a member of any club or association!, just a vehicle older than 30 years, you have to fill out a log book.
Thats how I figure it anyway.
cheers

Twobus! when one is not enough
MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

posted on May 11th, 2004 at 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeM
What about for less than 800kg cars? Like early beetles?

Dunno, didn't ask. He's a busy man so I won't bother him again.

I think most changes are for the better.

Member1303Steve
Scirocco Rare

posted on May 11th, 2004 at 06:07 PM

Hi

Thanks Wes. Thats intresting, I could go
890 kg
= 3560 cc NA
or
890 kg
= 2670 cc forced induction

Cool, get a 2.5 STI from the states.

Twobus, the rules you spoke off are some of the one that will need to change for a National system

1302Steve
MemberChe Castro
Custom Title Time!
ankle straps

Threads: 79

Mood: (( }:-{D]

posted on May 11th, 2004 at 10:59 PM

Fark... that sounds good! I mean the engine displacement thing if it does turn out that way. Really opens up lots of possibilites :)

I think you could get over the 800kg thing by swapping onto a late pan, also get IRS etc.

Jon
Member1303Steve
Scirocco Rare

posted on May 12th, 2004 at 11:31 PM

Hi

Wes didnt say but I would assume that it goes on stock weight for the car from the factory.

1302Steve
Member56astro
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 74

Mood: Pobjoy Powered with twin ignition & soon to be EFI'd

posted on May 13th, 2004 at 07:58 AM

For the purposes of weight, I would assume that (in my case anyhow) that a 56 body on a 70 chassis allows you to assume the weight of a 70's car from the factory??

I can see a 2332 coming up

hehehe
:thumb

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~astro/images/maltese%20cross.JPG
VW car, VW engine ...... keepin it "real"
35MPG on 101.3kPa
MemberChe Castro
Custom Title Time!
ankle straps

Threads: 79

Mood: (( }:-{D]

posted on May 13th, 2004 at 09:43 AM

hehe, also I think a Semi-auto may have weighed more from the factory :) with a light early body, should be shweeet :) god bless the floorpan :)

Jon
 Pages:  1  2  3

Go To Top