Pages:  1  2  3
Author: Subject: Changes coming to NSW (all states actually) modified car rules
MemberCraig Torrens
A.k.a.: Craig Torrens
Scirocco Rare
6 times Australian, 7 times State Hillclimb Class Champion

Threads: 347

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Time to go Salt lake racing, and actually achieve a result.

posted on May 13th, 2004 at 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 1302Steve
Hi

Cool, get a 2.5 STI from the states.

1302Steve

I can get you brand new Sti motors if you want one, around $7k still in box !!

Cheers

Member1303Steve
A.k.a.: Steve Carter
Scirocco Rare

Threads: 556

Mood: Parrot Heading

posted on May 13th, 2004 at 11:47 PM

Interesting, how complete are they?
Membergayanne
Officially Full-On Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 3

Mood: Pure Tubular Adrenalin Subie Power

posted on May 19th, 2004 at 11:10 PM
Hello Steve best to buy a 96 to 98wrx motor ,STI are only trick up parts.Just do work on the heads and better air flow.Engine is worked on 1.7 times displacement to give capacity.GL John van look

Quote:
Interesting, how complete are they?

{ADMIN - please note the 1.7 factor is a sports sedan multiplier to get the equivalent capacity of a turbo motor. It does not apply to road legal vehicles}

[Edited on 21-5-2004 by Baja Wes]
Member68AutoBug
A.k.a.: Lee Noonan
Aircooled Master
Beetle Restorer - Experience over 138% - YIKES --

Threads: 449

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: Really Mentally Ill - all of the time -

posted on May 19th, 2004 at 11:24 PM

Maybe We should all move to Tassie.....

Just to get the cars passed that is...

Lee

- [size=4]Helping keep Air Cooled VWs on the road - location: SCONE in the Upper Hunter Valley - Northern NSW 320 kms NNW of SYDNEY--- [/size]
Member1303Steve
A.k.a.: Steve Carter
Scirocco Rare

Threads: 556

Mood: Parrot Heading

posted on May 20th, 2004 at 12:18 AM

Hi

Is that you John? Lirking with a girls names. I was told to just bight the bullet and go STI. Do you have solids in your car? The RTA rules at the moment is 2.5 x 890 (factory weight) = 2225
cc

1302Steve

[Edited on 19-5-2004 by 1302Steve]
Membergayanne

No Avatar

Threads: 3

Mood: Pure Tubular Adrenalin Subie Power

posted on May 20th, 2004 at 10:43 PM
Hi Steve, I have solids,RTA are right,iknow in sports sedan anything with 2L Turbo times 1.7 =3L+if under 700kgs=more weight.STI motors206kw my EJ20WRX no STI bits pulls 225kws atrear wheels dtuned just eg.John

Quote:
Hi

Is that you John? Lirking with a girls names. I was told to just bight the bullet and go STI. Do you have solids in your car? The RTA rules at the moment is 2.5 x 890 (factory weight) = 2225
cc

1302Steve

[Edited on 19-5-2004 by 1302Steve]
MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

Threads: 94

Mood: Content

posted on May 21st, 2004 at 11:57 AM

gayanne, I'm still not sure what your trying to say, but I am sure it is off-topic.

We're talking about the mod rules here. I have deleted the confusing off-topic posts in order to keep this post clean (no offense intended). I just think this post is important and should stay relatively short and concise.

Feel free to start a new post and say what you were trying to say. :thumb

Wes - www.offroadvw.net - 200HP Quad Cam V6 in a VW Baja - with climate control... :)
www.taylorcycles.com.au - My DH MTB racing brothers shop.
MemberJenny

Threads: 20

Mood: Is it Friday yet?

posted on June 2nd, 2004 at 01:20 PM

Is it true that the new rules mean people building buggies/Eurekas (ICV's) can only use a motor that is no more than 5 years old, and that motor has to come from an Australian sold car, not a grey import???? :(

[Edited on 2-6-2004 by Jenny]
MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

posted on June 3rd, 2004 at 08:32 AM

I'm pretty sure a eureka or a buggy with still fit under the modified production car rules, usually as a rebodied vehicle. So it would have the same rules as a beetle. That's my understanding.

making it an ICV would be overkill. If you did go down that path it would also mean you could put any engine you want in it. Any size. using a late Australian engine just means it automatically qualifies as meeting the latest emissions standards. Most late US engines will also automatically qualify cos they are more stringent than us. If you use an old engine, or a jap engine, then you would probably need to have it emissions tested. Currently the test is difficult and expensive to do. They are trying to agree on a simpler and cheaper emissions test for the future.

Wes - www.offroadvw.net - 200HP Quad Cam V6 in a VW Baja - with climate control... :)
MemberJenny

posted on June 3rd, 2004 at 10:11 AM

Regards rebodied vehicles, Yeah that's what I thought then i read that if you re-body so that the vehicle no longer resembles the original vehicle (as in the case with buggy/Eureka because they nolonger resemble a Beetle) then it is classed as an ICV.
MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

posted on June 4th, 2004 at 02:47 PM

best bet would be to talk to Mike Sharp. His GS Limo buggies (and the max FX buggies) are simply rebodied vehicles. The new body must meet certain current ADRs so he has wierd things like seat belt warning lights (or something weird), but they still use VW motors and running gear.

A buggy certainly doesn't look like a beetle.

Check this webpage of his for more info;
http://www.sharpbuilt.com.au/longwheelbasebuggygen.htm

Membertype2nut

No Avatar

Threads: 39

Mood: sandy

posted on June 25th, 2004 at 09:03 PM

Hey guys this is a great thread :)
I wonder what difference this will make here in SA. Transport SA have so far always seemed to be in the dark ages, if you know what I mean.
Do any of you have any thought or comments on what this will mean for vehicles like my 1990 Caravelle Syncro?
Any thoughts much appreciated.
Andy.

[Edited on 26-6-2004 by type2nut]
MemberCruzin in a Golf
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 23

Mood: Crazy!

posted on June 29th, 2004 at 12:48 AM

hmmm thats an interesting point being made about the street rods for only pre 1949 cars, like matt said it will make things very difficult if someone was to stretch things...:repuke

"I choose to Cruze VW Golf Mk1 Style!!!"
http://members.iinet.net.au/~ucanorth/avdbanner16.gif
Membersean68

Threads: 40

posted on November 20th, 2004 at 09:02 PM

Hi
I was wondering if you guys could tell me where i can get some rules and regulations on modifying cars in NSW as i'm just starting to build my 68 and it will be fairly modified
can anyone recommend a good engineer
info would be much appreciated

sean

[Edited on 22-11-2004 by sean68]

68 Beetle - rebuilding :spin:
65 beetle - driving :cool:
MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

posted on November 22nd, 2004 at 01:08 PM

have a look at this;

http://www.aussieveedubbers.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=31756

MemberVWFREAK
A.k.a.: Peter / Bones
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
VWFREAK

Threads: 264

Mood: FREAKY

posted on November 22nd, 2004 at 01:58 PM

What the, gee that takes it in the head. I think I'll stick to my bolt on mods for now.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r263/vwfreaks/vwfreaksignature.jpg
Memberbajachris88
A.k.a.: Chris Leete
23 Windows of Awesome
The international telephone dialing code for Antarctica is 672.

Threads: 534

Mood: A bee bit ma' bottom, now ma' bottom's big!

posted on April 17th, 2005 at 11:30 AM

Even though the road rules are changing everywhere, can we still legally register new buggies?

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
69' baja: kombi box, thing spindles, irs, disc front, type 3 rear drums, 2 inch lift kit, 31x10 rears. :tu:
New engine in process: 94mm p&bs, 74mm C/w chomol Crank, 35.5x39 SP heads, turbo. Wierd combo, hopeful torque monsta!
MemberJenny

posted on April 20th, 2005 at 07:09 AM

If comments in this post are correct then we only have up to August this year...
http://www.aussieveedubbers.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=34526&page=1#pid...
Memberbat69
Insano Dub Head
There is no status

Threads: 84

Mood: I'm EXCITED!

posted on April 20th, 2005 at 10:49 AM

I wouldnt be getting to excited about the new registration rules that are suppose to be coming. A similar thing happened in the mid 90's when someone thought it was a good idea to have uniform road rules for all of Australia, hence the introduction of the AUSTRALIAN ROAD RULES (Act).

The thing was other states, such as NSW found that the Australian Road Rules did not totally suit NSWelshmen, so they introduced a whole heap of other legitation that better suited them, hence the introduction of other new Acts and Regulations such as the Road Transport Act. This piece of legislationis is responsible for vehicle registration (1997 & 1998), road rules (1999) driver licencing (1999 & 99), driver fatigue (1999), heavy vehicles (1996) the list goes on. There is basicaly thousands of new laws, procedures etc that were introduced to better suit NSW roads/drviers, and as you can see by the dates (year), it continualy changed.

The point Im trying to make is, even though there might be new national rules being written up to be introduced in relation to registration etc, the states may still re write the rules to suit themselves (Which they have the power to do), as happened in the late 90's. I really do hope there is uniformity in regards to these rules nationally.

Just food for thought.

White Knuckle Racing Team
"Drive it like dirt"
Memberbajachris88
23 Windows of Awesome

posted on April 20th, 2005 at 10:10 PM

Guys, I have good news for those making buggies or rebodying there vehicles. I talked to mike sharp about this issue, and he clarified it for me. (Mike Sharp is the owner and fellow worker for Sharp Built Australian Buggies). He has had his customers register their vehicles all over Australia. 7 buggies in fact all around the nation, INCLUDING NSW.

Heres the reply email he sent me. (it may be a bit jumbled, as my questions and his anwers are mixed in there).

Hey,

I have heard numeous opinions about the RTA in NSW changing their rules about modified vehicles. That is, they say that from June of 2005 or something, they will no longer let any modified vehicle (which has never been registered before) get registered. Also, they also state that it is highly probable that this rule will flow into Queensland.

This ruling came in the end of 1999 for ICVs (Indevidually Constructed Vechles)

that is why I developed the long wheel base GS Limo that year that fits onto a standard chassis and
is not classed as an ICV and can get registered anywhere in Australia

No you cannot register an existing short wheel base buggy that has never been

registered befor as a buggy, this rule came in the end of 1999 not unless it has an engine fitted from 2004 March
onwards with all factory emission controls fitted

The last new GS Limo buggy I was involved with getting registered was a few weeks ago in

Queensland and one befor that in Sydney NSW at christmax and about 6 -7 befor that in the last 3 years
there are at least 1/2 dozon on the go at the moment, I am builing up 4 complete buggies for customers as well

As I have stated this rule came in the end of 1999 concerning ICVs

This information is on my website

NEW LONG WHEELBASE BUGGY GENERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR REGO

GENERAL
A NEW LONG WHEEL BASE buggy build has to comply to the currant ADRs covering 'A re-bodied vehicle'. The new body has to comply to the current ADRs as of time of inspection, the chassis, engine and running gear only has to comply to the year of the manufacture of the chassis. e.g. 1970.
A long wheel base buggy is NOT classed as an ' Individually constructed vehicle '.

A NEW SHORT WHEEL BASE buggy build with a shortened chassis is classed as an 'Individually constructed vehicle' the same as any other kit car, to get it approved it must comply to the currant ADRs including engine smog control and noise.
To meet this ADR the engine must be 'less' than 1 years old, fuel injected and the engine controlled by an engine management system to control emissions, just like a brand new car has. No VW aircooled motor will meet this ADR.

This information was stated by numerous individuals at http://www.aussieveedubbers.com.  These individuals where highly-experienced vw enthusiasts. These possible rule changes where discussed between one of these individuals and an engineer who is qualified within the certification of modified vehicles.

Ask these highly-experienced vw enthusiasts the last time they

registered a brand new buggy and if they have how many in the last 3 years, also ask how
many seperate ADRs there buggy had to meet, the ansew is 22 diffrent ADRs
a buggy has to meet to be legally registered . if you come to Toowoomba I can
show you the paper work on this

Some guys go to 'bodgy' engineers to get there buggy approved becouse

they know a reputable engineer will not pass it ot touch it with a barge poll

Also, there have been other notices from other offroad and buggy enthusiasts.

Again Ask these offroad vw enthusiasts the last time they

registered a brand new buggy

This concerns me. If I were to purchase a kit, and this rule is brought forward, I will not be able to register it on the road. Therefore, rather than modifying a vw Beetle into a buggy, could I legally get a buggy by purchasing it as a TURN KEY from the manufacturer (YOU) with the abillity to register it (Or would it still be classed as a modified vehicle)?

I suppose there may be a chance that in this turn key situation, it may not be classed as a modification as no backyard joe blow has modified it, rather it has been professionally CONSTRUCTED, NOT MODIFIED by Sharpbuilt into a whole new vehicle.

If you build the buggy with my parts they will meet the ADR requirements

Is the rumour even true?

How much would it cost to purchase a turn key of the buggy I previously described in the earlier emails? (the white metallic one with the blue interior). Price in other e-mail

Thanks Mike.
From Chris (mynameischris88@hotmail.com)

Regards Mike Sharp

--
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Version: 7.0.308 / Virus Database: 266.9.16 - Release Date: 18/04/2005

--
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Version: 7.0.308 / Virus Database: 266.9.17 - Release Date: 19/04/2005

This message should clarify any crap or rumours and prove that if you are gonna rebody a vehicle (without shortening or modifying the chassis/floorpan), you only need your body of your vehicle to comply to Australian ADR standards. Look on http://www.sharpbuilt.com.au  to see the ADR rules and Rego info on Mike's Website to clarify the Australian Design Rules and Legal Blah! Blah!.

OK, so enjoy.

Chris.

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
69' baja: kombi box, thing spindles, irs, disc front, type 3 rear drums, 2 inch lift kit, 31x10 rears. :tu:
New engine in process: 94mm p&bs, 74mm C/w chomol Crank, 35.5x39 SP heads, turbo. Wierd combo, hopeful torque monsta!
Memberbajachris88
23 Windows of Awesome

posted on April 20th, 2005 at 10:12 PM

If ur gonna modify your chassis, then it is classed as an individually constructed vehicle (or something like that). You can still get it registered, however, it must comply to the legal chassis requirements of today. Which an be hard for an original VW aircooled engine (when it comes to noise and emissions tests). Thats your only problem. (Unless your willing to change the engine)

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
Memberbajachris88
23 Windows of Awesome

posted on April 20th, 2005 at 10:16 PM

So, there is nothing too concerning to worry about.

NOTE: Changing the engine, running gear (like gearbox, getting IRS, getting disc brake conversions, ball joint conversions etc. is not classed as modifying the chassis. The term "modifying the chassis" literally means modifying the chassis. You can change/modify your running gear, and your chassis will still not be classed as modified.

Modification of the chassis is literally hacking it to shorted it. (Cutting the steel of the chassis etc.) Putting bolts, adding or swapping parts is not modifying the chassis.

REMEMBER THAT. With this in mind, your dream vw is still possible to create and register.

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
Memberbajachris88
23 Windows of Awesome

posted on April 20th, 2005 at 10:18 PM

By 7 buggies in the previous post, im refering to 7 in the PAST MONTH.

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
Member******

Threads: 0

Mood: Like a tiger....

posted on April 22nd, 2005 at 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bat69
The point Im trying to make .

....Is seriously quite boring. Take the text and place it within the backdoor confines.

Just jokes old man.
Memberseagull
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 752

posted on April 23rd, 2005 at 12:41 AM

How about a name ******** thats just wrong !

Looking for that special lady : PM me for coffee & cake
Member******

posted on April 23rd, 2005 at 10:40 AM

:alien ... Its six pointed star not eight! Lets take it to the 'Bad Attitude' forum 'Seagull'.

Quote:
Originally posted by sean68
Hi
can anyone recommend a good engineer
info would be much appreciated

sean

[Edited on 22-11-2004 by sean68]

Sean, try Consulmotive in Peakhurst - (02) 91530011

There a reputable bunch, and dont hold out there hand before giving advice, unlike some.
Memberbat69
Insano Dub Head
There is no status

Threads: 84

Mood: I'm EXCITED!

posted on April 23rd, 2005 at 01:53 PM

****** / Ramallzee,

that sounds like somthing a commodore driver would say:vader

peace:jesus

White Knuckle Racing Team
"Drive it like dirt"
Member******

posted on April 23rd, 2005 at 04:38 PM

...and I wont describe what an abundance of legislation knowledge 'sounds' like to me :P

I agree on two things you say though - a uniformity of road rules is overdue.

....And commodore drivers are a very intelligent bunch. Thanks for the compliment.
Membermscabrio
Veteran Volks Folk
Cabriolet Queen

Threads: 142

Mood: Swimming in water. Floating on air.

posted on April 23rd, 2005 at 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bat69
****** / Ramallzee,

that sounds like somthing a commodore driver would say:vader

peace:jesus

Nah, Hyundai driver more like it !!!! hehehehehehehe

;)

:punk:
Memberbajachris88
23 Windows of Awesome

posted on April 23rd, 2005 at 06:48 PM

those cars are just plastic hunks of crap on wheels.

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
 Pages:  1  2  3

Go To Top