Custom Title Time!
Demented But Determined

No Avatar

Threads: 129

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: What the crap?

buggy.gif posted on July 2nd, 2004 at 10:27 PM
kombi powered baja?

I know i've asked this question before, but i've forgotten what the answer was and i haven't been able to find it by searching so: for my next baja i've found a cheap 2ltr kombi and was thinking if i'm gonna do a IRS conversion anyway is it worth it to put in a kombi box and if so can i run a 2ltr engine as well? I can't think of any reason why not and i can think of a few positives. What you think? The idea of a kombi powered baja gets me excited!:blah

THe MC Bat Commander's motto: "Never do now, what you could do for 24 hours straight, all night, the night before."
MemberAndy
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
Andy's Adventures

Threads: 181

Mood: Happy Man

posted on July 2nd, 2004 at 10:36 PM

Sure why not. Fitting the G-box will need some mods, and motor will go straight in.
It would be a good idea to fit and upright kit though, and if it needs a re-build it will be dearer that a type 1 motor.
:thumb
MemberBoozer
Custom Title Time!
Demented But Determined

No Avatar

posted on July 2nd, 2004 at 10:48 PM

hmmm yeah i'd forgottend about the dearer rebuild cost. meh. it's $600 for the kombi and it's running.

THe MC Bat Commander's motto: "Never do now, what you could do for 24 hours straight, all night, the night before."
MemberBoozer
Custom Title Time!
Demented But Determined

No Avatar

posted on July 4th, 2004 at 05:59 PM

anyone else gonna answer?:cussing

Memberratty 63
A.k.a.: Rossco
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 74

Mood: Just cured my shed envy! :D

posted on July 6th, 2004 at 01:47 PM

Don't know about the gearbox mod (I've heard it can be done, but have had no experience), but the Type IV engine can be used - even on a beetle box (with some flywheel clearance work). Have a search around AVD for Type IV (or type 4, or similar) for discussion on this engine, in particular, fitting one in a beetle. I have a bit of info on my website about my brothers type IV powered beetles (one Baja and a '67 daily driver). If you are coming to the off road day next weekend we will be there and I'm sure that Dave (my Brother) would be happy to let you know the in's and out's of the conversion.

for: Extra low down grunt - great for off road and towing, engines last much longer than type I engines.

against: Extra weight and more $$$ to rebuild.

R

40hp, 6V and ...er... slowly making improvements :lol:

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!

Founding member of the Gold Coast Dub Club Inc. :)
Super Administratorbarls
A.k.a.: Mr indestructible
Super Administrator
Causer of Chaos and Mayhem

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 295

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2
Mood: indestructible? and listening to the voices

posted on July 6th, 2004 at 01:54 PM

or with out clearance work use an 1800 flywheel and it fits well cause that what i did in my sbug

“We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.” Bill Hicks
the chaos project - click me

http://www.goats.com/store/images/banner_destroy.png
Memberratty 63
A.k.a.: Rossco
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 74

Mood: Just cured my shed envy! :D

posted on July 6th, 2004 at 02:07 PM

...we are using a stock 1200 swing axel box (to keep the ratios down, better for crawling over rocks etc), so we would have had to clearance the bellhousing anyway, but interesting that it fits into a IRS box..... not sure what flywheel my Bro uses, I'll have to ask....

R

40hp, 6V and ...er... slowly making improvements :lol:

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!

Founding member of the Gold Coast Dub Club Inc. :)
MemberJenny
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 20

Mood: Is it Friday yet?

posted on July 7th, 2004 at 07:26 AM

Check this post
http://www.aussieveedubbers.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=24625 
MemberMikeM
Custom Title Time!
Buggy Head

Threads: 71

Mood: :duh

posted on July 7th, 2004 at 09:34 AM

It will work fine, the buggy crowd have been doing it for years. You will want a Kombi to Bug Gearbox mount from either Sharpbuilt or Custom Offroad and you will want to do a Sharpbuilt Upright Conversion. You can even go Porsche Style shrouding if you want.

Here's a couple of links to get you started.

http://www.sharpbuilt.com.au/new_page_2.htm 

http://www.customoffroad.com.au/kombibox/Kombi%20Box.htm 

If you want the Gearbox and Motor but not the rest of the Kombi I will consider buying the leftovers off you. I'm currently chasing a Late Bay Kombi rolling shell for a project I have going.

Thanks

MemberBoozer
Custom Title Time!
Demented But Determined

No Avatar

posted on July 7th, 2004 at 11:39 AM

OK:thumb

Memberpete wood
A.k.a.: figure itout
23 Windows of Awesome

Threads: 389

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White
Mood: upgrades = jackstands

posted on July 7th, 2004 at 07:44 PM
now just hold on a sec.....

there are a few things you need to think about.

You need to convert the pan to IRS. This does not work well on 60's beetles. The IRS control arms foul the brake lines on the shock towers. This is the case because the it is not setup for irs from the factory. The later 1500-Lbug pans have a different shock tower to clear the control arms. I suggest a semi-auto pan or at least a later one with the different shock towers. I know this problem exists because I have it on my buggy. It has a 62 pan. And, you will have to take the body of the pan to IRS it properly.

Secondly, the bus-to-bug gearbox kit. Having seen both and used one, I suggest the COR kit. Don't ask me why, just take my advice.

Thirdly, the whole shift rod assembly can be a nightmare unless you sort it properly. I now have the shift rod running along the top of the tunnel and the shift section of another beetle weled to my tunnel above the old one. COR apparently have this sorted, however, I don't live in QLD and didn't know they existed when I built mine.

Fourthly, CVs. If you go to a bus box it makes sense to use all bus CVs. They are stronger and have better drive angles. You will need to machine your drive shafts and your stubs to do this. Either by putting on kombi flanges or machining and drilling them for bus CV pattern (like BajaWes has done).

Fifthly, you will need to support the kombi engine in some way as it is substantially heavier than the beetle motor, but you probably already knew that.

If you really want to do this, I suggest finding a knew pan and building up, then transplant the bodies when you are ready. This process is alot more complex than you think.

p.s. sorry the post is so long. I just wanted to let you know what you were in for before you did it. However, if you want to, the benefits of a kombi motor/box will be huge. :cool:

"stoopid is stronger than axles"
http://drivingnotpolishing.blogspot.com.au/ 
MemberBoozer
Custom Title Time!
Demented But Determined

No Avatar

posted on July 7th, 2004 at 09:19 PM

thanks. ok i'm pretty sure i've said this before but unless i haven't here it is:
I am going to build another baja from scratch and keep my current one on the road. I have the floorpan in my backyard now.

also: as for the IRS control arms fouling the brake lines, I didn't know about this but will find a way around it. I haven't seen any of the gearbox kits only photos, and would appreciate and extra info or comments about them. shift rod assembly: again I'll find a way around it and have a look at how COR have done it. For CV's and supporting the engine, ditto. I'll find a way.:thumb

MemberJenny
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 20

Mood: Is it Friday yet?

posted on July 8th, 2004 at 06:37 AM

Have a look what Wes did with his tranny http://www.offroadvw.net/bajawes/wes/july.html 

[Edited on 7-7-2004 by Jenny]

Go To Top