Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 773 | Total Replies: 0 | Thread Id: 28485 ]
Author: Subject: Oil filtration options???
Member71StickShift
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 2

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on September 9th, 2004 at 08:16 PM
Oil filtration options???

Hello fellow dubbers,

Currently I am rebuilding the engine in my car.
One of the things that I would like to add to the engine for longlivety is an oil filter.

Since my Beetle is a semi-auto it has the oil pump for the automatic piggybacking on the engine oil pump.
This means that I cannot use the commonly used oil pump cover on the back of the oil pump for a remote filter.

I have thought about using the oil cooler in- and outlet for a filter in combo with a remote cooler.
I have heard this creates too much pressure drop over the system and thus not a healthy option.

Another option is a 'CB performance' mAXI filter sump, which uses a fine gauze strainer filter as a pickup.

I have also heard of drilling into the case, I am not sure here what the procedure is and if it would be an option in my case.

In most of the cases the preference or choice for a certain oil filtration system remains vague.

Can someone give me the rundown on what is good and what is bad, what is fact and what fiction?
Membervoltz
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 43

Mood: VW learn mode

posted on September 18th, 2004 at 07:35 AM

Have seen an add on type filter housing that uses the old 'toilet roll'
A retired VW mechanic in Taree showed me one fitted to his Kombi, I thought he was pulling my leg at first,I am a mechanic myself and he explained that the toilet roll had to be a specific type to fit the housing 2 ply sheets etc but all you do is remove the old roll and fit a new one.
his oil was nice and clean still after 3000 km's
( yes I know oil should not stay clean as it means its not doing its job correctly, but I dont wanna start an oil debate :)
I will find out exatly where these can be purchased and I will post here
Regards
Geoff
MemberAndy
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
Andy's Adventures

Threads: 181

Mood: Happy Man

posted on September 18th, 2004 at 08:03 AM

To keep the existing pump and cooler, your options are a Full Flow filter tapping into the case as you mention. This is a good option when done correctly and lets you run a normal car type filter. You can keep the hoses short and shouldn't give too much pressure drop.
The other option is the Bypass toilet roll type as voltz mentions. I have one and tey bleed a little oil out of the pressure line to push through the toilet roll. They give much finer filtration (hence why the oil looks much clear) and doesn't upset any of the stock setup.
I can get you the number of a crowd that makes them in Perth if your interested. (they have "agents" in each capital city I think) The "special" toilet rolls they use have a smaller inner diameter than the current standard roll (what the standard used to be).
I'd recommend a higher capacity oil pump for piece of mind (I did) if it's possible in the semi auto, even though they don't say it's needed.

Richard

Go To Top