Commited Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 8

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on January 10th, 2003 at 09:55 PM
Got the pics woking here is me baja

yay

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.
MemberDeRrO
Commited Dubber

No Avatar

posted on January 10th, 2003 at 09:55 PM

here the rear

Error
MemberKruizinKombi
A.k.a.: Col
Bishop of Volkswagenism
Seriously Obsessed Cyber Dubber

Threads: 104

Mood: Indifferent

posted on January 12th, 2003 at 09:08 PM

Nice! What drivetrain are you running?

Kruizin Kol
MemberDeRrO
Commited Dubber

No Avatar

cool.gif posted on January 13th, 2003 at 07:21 PM

Currently Got a 1200 gearbox swing axle. But I am building a new chassis for it. It is currently out of action. I am converting the chassis to IRS so i am not sure of what gearbow to put in it yet. Also installing a 2.5" Body Lift, should be sweet when im done. :D:D:D

This is what i did to the front end clip

Error
MemberThe_Bronze.
A.k.a.: Bronze
Custom Title Time!
Minister of Volkswagenism

Threads: 238

Mood: Enlightened.

posted on January 13th, 2003 at 10:12 PM
Whoops....

Not to worry - wouldn't be a Baja if you didn't break it now and then.

Tell us a bit more about it DeRrO. I love to hear the gory stories, where you met and the fun you've had in it since.

You will have to come on some of the Offroad klub trips with us sometime and put it through it paces.

Cheers for sharing - sorry I missed you in the chat earlier tonight.

[size=4]Bronze.[/size]

Rathmines, Lake Macquarie, NSW.
MemberDeRrO
Commited Dubber

No Avatar

biggrin.gif posted on January 17th, 2003 at 09:36 PM
Dont go out with a 4WD Club :)

It was about the third time i had it off road. I went out with a guy from my work who is in a 4wd club, they had no faith in the car at all. They thought they were going to be dragging me around all night.

We out at Mindarie dune Just north of Perth. Basically i cut sick. My car was performing well against the 4WD's, i just lacked tracktion due to the bald tyres on the rear. The 1600 Dp didnt miss a beat.

Some more advise make sure you have some reversing lights, so you can see where you are reversing at night time. Specially when you are in the dunes and there is the odd burnt out wreck here and there. Anyway basically i couldnt see where i was going while reversing up to gain speed to climb out of a bowl. I reversed straigt into the wreck, and ripped my rear right hand quater panel straight off. hehe

Any way i kept driving the thing with out the panel. They just get in the way of your full suspension travel anyway. Didnt even know the crack was there until the morning. I drove home down the freeway, with my 31 x 10 rear wheel just sticking out of the car. Looked pretty funny :)

But they named the bowl after me. Baja Wreck bowl. Cant wait to go out with the club again. They were impressed by the little thing.
MemberThe_Bronze.
Custom Title Time!

posted on January 18th, 2003 at 02:04 PM

I love hearing cool stories like that but they don't get posted much unfortunately.

I have always wanted to go out with a 4WD club but have been apprehensive to how reliable I would be. 4WD owners tend to be 'rip tear bust' and just like last time I let a 4WD tow me out - it could end up in another disaster again an I might not be able to keep my cool.

You'll have to come over one day DeRrO and blast the dunes and bush tracks with us mate. Would live to watch you rip some panels off over here.

Buggy and Baja dudes are much cooler to offroad with. Special thanks to Stewart for helping me get out of this one.

[size=4]Bronze.[/size]

MemberJamox
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 13

Mood: Blind

posted on January 19th, 2003 at 06:25 PM

Derro!!!!

I just acquired my baja a few weeks ago. I will also be in Perth for the first half of this year; perhaps we could let the beasts out for a romp in the dunes? I worked in my folk's caravan park for about 3 weeks over christmas. The park is less than 100 meters from the beach.

I ONLY HAD TIME TO TAKE MY POOR BAJA ONTO THE BEACH ON FOUR OCCASSIONS AND TWO OF THEM DIDN"T EVEN COUNT AS OCCASSIONS (ie under an hour)!!!!!!

That really saddens me.... but I have my whole life ahead.

I will have to catch up-with you sometime.

Great story too! HAHAHAH! I can just imagine the wheel sticking right out going down the freeway!!!!

CHeers
Jamie
MemberThe_Bronze.
Custom Title Time!

posted on January 21st, 2003 at 09:50 AM

So where are your pics Jamie?

Make sure you register you bajas at
http://www.offroadvw.net/bajaboyz/ 

This is Brad and Wes' site which has a dual register for Buggies and Baja's. Currently their are non registered here for WA.

[size=4]Bronze.[/size]

MemberDeRrO
Commited Dubber

No Avatar

posted on January 21st, 2003 at 11:04 PM

Jamox

I would love to go Baja Bashing with ya. But only one prob my Baja is out of action till i rebuild my chassis. And do a body swap, and maybe rewire it gottat decide on the last one. I am putting irs in to it. I know you were inquiring about that i can show you how it is done if youe wish.

But if you want i can be your comealong and show you the local dunes with my mates from work. That is if your game!! Hehe they not that bad. Where are abouts in Perth are you staying at the moment. I also want to see the pics of your Baja. See how far away you are from having the best Baja in WA :) You got me to cantend with hehe. :)

email me at jbeaver@typac.com.au
to get in contact with me.

Bronze iv been meaning to register with that register just have not got around to it yet. Will do soon though.

Cheers

Joel
MemberJamox
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

posted on January 25th, 2003 at 11:38 AM

Bronze, the whole reason why I am not on the register, nor in the member's rides, is because I don't have any pictures! Plus, I haven't even had it for a month and have been absolutely busy without time to even scratch my...self.

Here is an example of my luck: Within 14 days I had starter motor problems -no big deal, I had a spare. Well, at the end of the four weeks, due to the bargain that I obtained, my clutch cable slipped off the hook(at least it wasn't broken). No sooner had I fixed that then my throw-out bearing decided to crap itself and explode! Excellent! It ruined my clutch-plate, pressure plate, bearing forks and even the little clips were stuffed. No big drama though, parts arrived the next day and it only cost me a few bucks to fix the whole lot. That is the best thing -being able to pull the engine out using only a block of wood and a few spanners; no jack or anything; and then not having to pay for someone else to fix your car.

But, apart from all that, I bought a disposable camera and had some photos when it gets sand in it and decides that it will not cooperate further.

So there you go. That, combined with a 6:00am to 8:00pm workday for 4 weeks and trying to have a life also, is why I have no photos YET.

Joel! I am not quite in Perth yet, I will be in Como for the first half of the year and then I don't know. I found out how to do the conversion too. It looks pretty easy, but I think it would be much easier with the body off. I am going to put in a lift kit, rotate the front tubes and stuff so I might do it all at the same time. It will be good with both of us doing it because we can see what works/doesn't.

I will email you when I finalise my plans for the next few weeks.

Catcha
Jamie
MemberThe_Bronze.
Custom Title Time!

posted on January 25th, 2003 at 03:17 PM

Hey - Chill Pill friend. Things are cool. As you know I have no way of knowing what you know, you know.

He he - sounds like the seller sold it at the right time. Lucky you sound pretty handy with a spanner. I don't know if I could do any of that stuff you mentioned. My biggest job so far has been removing and reinstalling the pedal assembly.

These things (pics) take Jamie and you don't seem to have much of it. Gheez I spent my first month rewiring my Baja. Every afternoon I'd get it going start it up and drive it around the yard (at a friends) and then the next Arvo there would be a new list of electrical shorts, gaps and other faults. Few meets / shows and trips and there'll be pics everywhere of your ride.

[size=4]Bronze.[/size]

MemberJamox
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

posted on January 26th, 2003 at 11:02 AM

Yeh, time eh? Don't worry, its a loooong way from any trophies yet!;)

I took some more pictures on the poxy disposable camera and surprisingly, after numerous poking with wire, hitting, blowing and whacking, the thing sounds to be taking pictures normally again!!! There might still be hope yet! Joel, it is about similar to yours I think, white etc, but the kit is slightly different.

That Electrical business sounds like fun; I am sort of in the same boat. My monster can't distinguish between high and low beam, windscreen wipers are stubborn etc. Mind you, this is exactly why I got it, my last beetle was never going to be any good so I didn't want to waste energy on it. Now, everything will add-up and finally come together. Great fun, really.:thumb
MemberThe_Bronze.
Custom Title Time!

posted on January 26th, 2003 at 03:30 PM

Sounds like your in the same boat as I was - I had a baja previously which I put a lot of work into but it needed someone with skill. It ended up getting a bit trashed by street kids when parked outside the mechanics so I just sold it cheap and bought a better on. I didn't have the space or the ability to get the 73' up and running unfortunately.

The Dog-O-War had / has a few issues but being mostly minor I can work on them while it's on the road. The tranny rubbers have torn so that the next hurdle. I know what I need to do - just have to psych myself up to not shake so much with the scapel. Haven't dropped a motor and tranny before - could be fun, mabey.

[size=4]Bronze.[/size]

MemberJamox
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

posted on January 26th, 2003 at 06:22 PM
Easy as Pie bronze!

I am 18 and can easily pull a motor on my own, gearbox too. I couldn't beleive how easy it was to get the engine out of the baja!!!! Dad lifted the back-end by hand whilst I put a block under the engine. Then we just undid the bolts and pushed/rolled her forward!! Not having to lift the car over the engine is great! When we wanted to put the motor back-in, we just rolled the car back again! Same height so it couldn't fail. We didn't even need a jack! I will even be able to do it on my own without a jack if I can lift and kick the block under at the same time!!!! I LOVE BAJAS TOO MUCH! I am just glad I found one now and not later.

How is your confidence after that speel? IT will be a sinch and you will be fine. Be sure to tell me how it turns out.

Catcha
Jamie
MemberDeRrO
Commited Dubber

No Avatar

smile.gif posted on January 27th, 2003 at 06:46 PM

Jamie

If you move to como you will basically be a 1 minute drive away from me. I am basically in Como too.

I have already started on my lift kit. I have got a new chassis which i am building, then i have to do a body swap. Cant wait :) should be good fun.

I look forward to catching up with you some time and checking your baja out. Also i have a digital camera so i can ge some shots of your baja if you want.

Cheers

Joel
MemberJamox
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

posted on January 29th, 2003 at 01:11 PM

Thanks for the camera offer Joel.

The only problem is that at the moment I am doing my rebuild on the farm which is 3 1/2 hrs from Perth...so it might be a bit difficult to take you up on your offer...but if you fancy a bit of a drive????!! . I am doing everything now in the month before uni starts. It has taken me 1/2 a day to get the body ready to come off.... now I just need dad and a few mates to lift it!! It is all go-go go but I have some before pics and am taking some during progress and some after(of course!)

Catcha around the beginning of Mar ch probably.

Jamie
MemberDeRrO
Commited Dubber

No Avatar

posted on January 29th, 2003 at 08:20 PM

I also got a scanner if you need it. That is when you come to Perth for UNI.

Cheers

Joel

Go To Top