Memberchoo
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 13

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: restored

posted on October 26th, 2004 at 01:06 PM
new project: getting started

Living in Melbourne and about to get into a type3 squareback.
Just after some help. I have previously owned VW's, but haven't bothered to take it any further other than just getting around. I am going from a Kombi into a type 3 Square and was hoping that someone could point me in the right direction. The car is mechanically sound and the body is ok. I am hoping to change the colour. Is it wise to just get that over and done with and then focus on the rest. Basically I'm after a list, a logical progression of what should be done. Any names of any books, what are the best to buy.
Thanks all,
Choo
(I have posted this in Tech Talk too, thought this might be good also, thanks)
MemberPurpleT3
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 55

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: knackered

posted on October 26th, 2004 at 02:34 PM

Hey Choo, welcome to the wondeful world of type III's. Before working out a schedule, work out what you want to acheive and your budget. The two are usually strongly linked. Ask yourself, Do you want a daily driver or a full on show car?, How long do want the resto to take? Do you need to drive it while restoring?

IMHO get the mechanicals sorted first ie brakes, suspension, steering. If the car isn't registered, get it to the stage where it can be rego'd. At least then you can drive it to and from panel shops etc. If you don't need to drive it every day, join a club (VW Club of Vic) and get it on club plates. This is alot cheaper than full rego and will allow you to drive to get work done.

As far as books go, start with a Bentley service manual. Although this doesn't tell you how to restore it, you will at least know what there is to restore and repair.

Apart from that, I think everybody you ask will have a different opinion on what order to do things in.

Ain't nothin' like the wind in your hair.

Go To Top