Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 2594 | Total Replies: 11 | Thread Id: 42830 ]
Author: Subject: Anyone know much about the new Golf TDI's?
Memberpete wood
A.k.a.: figure itout
23 Windows of Awesome

Threads: 389

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White
Mood: upgrades = jackstands

posted on August 15th, 2005 at 04:37 PM
Anyone know much about the new Golf TDI's?

Just looking into the what they are like. We need to get a new car early next year probably, our current swift is dying a slow death after almost 250,000 kays.

Does anyone on here own one?
Do they have any issues?
How spacious are they on the inside?
Are they any good for towing?

The wife is keen for a liberty. I was too, but I reckon it might be better to have a turbo diesel and being a VW would be great too. Also looking at the Peugeot 306 estate TDi.

"stoopid is stronger than axles"
http://drivingnotpolishing.blogspot.com.au/ 
MemberDoug Sweetman
Veteran Volks Folk
Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Threads: 58

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: sweeeeet :)

posted on August 15th, 2005 at 05:23 PM

My bro has one, they are brilliant. I've never driven it myself, by I have ridden in it, very smooth ride, brilliant cabin ergonomics, roomy for a hatchback (he has the 5 door), felt like excellent power too. He gets over a month to a tank, as he does very little driving, but tell me it gets 4.5 - 5.5L / 100km, brilliant. From memory it has over 100kw.

It full of really cool gadgets too, like headlights that you can change the angle on, auto wipers etc etc. I would think it would tow pretty well (unless you want to tow a car trailer with it) if you are reasonable.

It'd be like a limo compared to a swift.
Membercrewcabconnection
Custom Title Time!
Being Sid James

Threads: 293

Mood: Looking forward to week 10

posted on August 15th, 2005 at 05:32 PM

Pete we went to look at 'em. They are now about the same build quality as liberties (I've had 3 of them), ie, not as 'thunk' solid as they once were, but they are noice.

I thought it was a bit lacking in pull up blaxland hill and got a bit noisy doing it. It defo has less room in the back, if you're talking car seats vs width.

Damo's got an outback, ask him...we've got a Forester, dunno what its called now, it's a new one....that's okay for 2 kid seats, but defo not 3. I think the liberty is the same width. We can't get the new bub and the 2 and 4 year old in there now in seats...grrrr.

I loved my RX liberty - it went very well and was well made and lots of room as it was a wagon.

Downsides - Liberties are pretty thirsty around towm, okay on a run, but I'd say almost half the Golf (on paper).
The Legroom in the back is minimal in a Lib - even for a 4 year old - but the Golf aint much better.

I'd get a 2001 Liberty Wagon RX for about the same money as the Golf, its ditched it's depreciation, and will serve will for a long time. I reckon you'd find the Golf too small on 'family' outings over the next 5 years.

Or at least that the decision we came too,

Thought we do now have a Forester that's too small, and I experimented with a Commode, which thank God someone stole as it was a VR - though we did check out a box of Commodores with sub 15k on the clock at the Holden shop for under 25k....I know they suck, but good value at that money - who pays 36+ new? need yer head looking at.

But that 1000kms a tank is a mighty good sales line ay...

We're now looking for a decent water cooled Caravelle, up to 10k's worth as a erm....6th car....

Loves a lolcat
Memberblutopless2
Veteran Volks Folk
DAMSLO

Threads: 187

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue

posted on August 15th, 2005 at 05:42 PM

1.9L TDI has 77kW@4000rpm and 250Nm@1900rpm from $27990 (Trendline) for 6spd man and $29990 for comfortline
2L TDI has 103kW@4000rpm and 320Nm between 1750-2500rpm from $32490 for comfortline manual.

although the power levels on paper are not much to look at, i would suggest test driving one as they are better on performance than what they appear.

see.... air and water do mix ;)

1974 1300
1997 MK3 Golf GL
2003 NB Cabrio
2012 Golf VI GTI
2014 Audi A4 Quattro
Membermscabrio
Veteran Volks Folk
Cabriolet Queen

Threads: 142

Mood: Swimming in water. Floating on air.

posted on August 15th, 2005 at 06:04 PM

Have driven one as a loan car while my cabrio has been serviced and I have been very impressed. For prices and info and accessories etc etc go to http://www.volkswagen.com.au. 

Why not the GTI? I am busting at the bit to buy one of them. Don't want to get rid of my Cabrio though

:punk:
Memberpete wood
23 Windows of Awesome

posted on August 15th, 2005 at 06:16 PM

three reasons for no GTi,
a. we need a bigger car.
b. the local authorities (wife) hate cars with less than 4 doors and besides I can't afford that much and there's a 12 month waiting list.
c. the diesel will keep my right foot under wraps, the gti spells lost license.
d. the diesel is awesome on fuel economy and the motor will literally last forever.

BTW, the pug 307 touring also looks excellent 100kw and 320nm. nn[ Edited on 15-8-2005 by pete wood ]

MemberGoLfMan
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 14

Mood: supercharged

posted on August 16th, 2005 at 04:15 PM

the Gti has 4 doors.
i think the VW diesel the direct injection unit is problably a better bet than the 307 as it is newer technology and out performs its 2L petrol sibling.

firebreathing 4 potter...
Memberpete wood
23 Windows of Awesome

posted on August 16th, 2005 at 06:21 PM

yes, that might be true, but the 307 estate has an even bigger boot than the 406, more than you can say for the golf, which is just a hatch.

Has anyone towed with one?

Membermscabrio
Veteran Volks Folk
Cabriolet Queen

Threads: 142

Mood: Swimming in water. Floating on air.

posted on August 16th, 2005 at 07:46 PM

But isn't the GTI the same size as a TDI?

Maybe if you want to get a bigger car then have you thought about the Subaru Forester? (oops sorry for swearing on this forum!). That is our other car, practical, great to drive, reliable and as ours is the turbo version quick as

:punk:
Membercrewcabconnection
Custom Title Time!
Being Sid James

Threads: 293

Mood: Looking forward to week 10

posted on August 16th, 2005 at 08:07 PM

How about a Microbus, say a 72 with lots of seats and room for kids bikes....even some new bikes too... then get something for the authorities with air and power everything, will still leave a few bucks for new buggy......everyone is happy.

Peugeot 406 Diesel in Wagon is a very good car/value in diesel, but remember, Peugeots are French and only people in Balmain want them, so will BOMB in value every year. 307 has a been given a kicking in Europe over long term tests ... usual French problems - plastic bits falling off, electrics etc., check out Top Gear's site etc., ... the 306 GTi6 - that is a supurb car second hand. Very under rated.

Thought about an Audi A4 Avant, the pre 1.8T model, noice, the authorities feel special in them for sure. Or Volvo T5 Wagon - goes like a rocket, and looks like a fridge.

I'd steer clear of NEW Pugs, they loose way too much and have limited re-sell market, though Peugeot have been making very innovative diesels way before VW (opens door to cross exam).

Go and see a bloke called Graham (I've bought lots off him, he knows his stuff and will give you a good price without the pantomime game) at Penrith Subaru, drive an RX wagon...I regret going from Liberty to Forester, the Liberty was better made and much more fun - seeing as the local authorities ban off roading. So why did we buy one? - Because 'girl' brain thinks they are bigger....not that it's crap, but it is defo NOT economical.

Not sure about VW dealer - I went to Penrith, the salesman was pretty clueless and was put out in having to 'find' the car and shuffle for the test drive. So we buggered off for a good couple of hours....My legs had problems walking past the T5 they had, but my eyes hurt at the price tag. Ouch ... go down in yer buggy... pick me up ... love a good time waste ...

where do you get those leather flying helmets anyway?

Loves a lolcat
Memberpete wood
23 Windows of Awesome

posted on August 17th, 2005 at 12:51 PM

mmm, don't like the sounds of massive loss in value.

back to liberty povo pack vs golf TDi again :vader

BTW Deano, maybe we could Baja one of splitties? :punk:

Love to see the look on kimm's face :Dnn[ Edited on 17-8-2005 by petewood ]

Membernjg02
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 37

Mood: Grateful.

posted on August 17th, 2005 at 07:14 PM

We checked most similar sized cars at the motor show last year. The Golf is the biggest inside. I have three teenagers who are taller than most, eldest is 6'2" and with him driving there is still heaps of leg room in the back. The Golf is larger insde than both the Liberty and Forrester. We nearly went to the Peugot but it is a bit too plasticky. I'd look seriously at the new one with the 100kw dsl. My golf is the 1.9l dsl manual. Top gear up Mt Ousley with ease. Best mpg so far is ~73 or 3.8 l/100.

Nel

71 super in progress.

Go To Top