MemberJVLRacing
Custom Title Time!

No Avatar

Threads: 30

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on May 19th, 2010 at 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by hellbugged
ah yeah thanx Chris, that's very kind, i don't know what i'll do if i have an event where this thing goes at the begining of the day AND the end......it always seems worth the adventure tho

....hello Reubs, what you doing over here in non-VW conversions? :(

well this time last year we had just finished the blue paint in secrecy. This time around i thought i'd keep a little story of the preparation it takes to make an event :crazy: .........done it a few times now and still can't believe what it takes

wrapping the third set of wheels for transit....blown tyres are enough to wreck a weekend so having a few brings some piece of mind, blown turbos suck too, so i've packed a brand newie in the spares as well :cool:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c365/dumone/P1060135Medium.jpg

crew was on duty again.....:love:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c365/dumone/P1060134Medium.jpg

"the mistress" got a wash and vacumn, Johnny's seat removed, re-aranged tank breather and is ready for the trailer........

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c365/dumone/P1060136Medium.jpg

..........just looking forward to a good weekend ahead now, catching up with a few friends and the road trip..........i hope one day in the not to distant future JVL and Mr Torrens will be in attendance as well

NICE:lol:
Membercolonel mustard
Son of Jim - Creator of Good

No Avatar

Threads: 51

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Black

posted on May 19th, 2010 at 11:40 AM

But in the end, Jak is the one who actually has a vw that he drives, cause he manned up. And, to top that, you can read his posts. Most people appreciate that... Except for maybe 68autobug...
MemberJVLRacing
Custom Title Time!

No Avatar

posted on May 19th, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by colonel mustard
But in the end, Jak is the one who actually has a vw that he drives, cause he manned up. And, to top that, you can read his posts. Most people appreciate that... Except for maybe 68autobug...

Never disagreed mustard that he hasnt!...
Really if i had to do it again i would of done a basic simple build like jako did..... jako forgets and has a small memory of the advice i have given to him...So yeh he has smoked me...maybe he does that to all people that help him:!:
Memberreub
Veteran Volks Folk
VWRX is gone...

No Avatar

Threads: 160

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue

posted on May 19th, 2010 at 12:01 PM

Quote:

....hello Reubs, what you doing over here in non-VW conversions? :(

Stuffed if I know... :) Maybe I've been secretly working on mine and just not sharing. :blush::no:

Reub
Membercolonel mustard

No Avatar

posted on May 19th, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by reub

Stuffed if I know... :) Maybe I've been secretly working on mine and just not sharing.

that would make me smile :)
Memberhellbugged
A.k.a.: Daimo Pell
23 Windows of Awesome
48's and straight cuts

Threads: 116

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Blue
Mood: Couldn't care less

posted on May 19th, 2010 at 01:46 PM

:rolleyes:...
MemberCraig Torrens
A.k.a.: Craig Torrens
Scirocco Rare
6 times Australian, 7 times State Hillclimb Class Champion

Threads: 347

Mood: Time to go Salt lake racing, and actually achieve a result.

posted on May 19th, 2010 at 03:47 PM

Have a good one Daimo..............I would love to come, but apparently EVO's aren't welcome :no:;)

MemberPAZZAN
Wolfsburg Wizard

No Avatar

Threads: 113

posted on May 20th, 2010 at 12:09 PM

c,mon Craig when am I going to see all these high hp 1916s on a circuit sure u got one laying around:?:
Memberhellbugged
23 Windows of Awesome
48's and straight cuts

posted on May 20th, 2010 at 11:30 PM

thanx Craig!.........

see you soon Paul :cool:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c365/dumone/P1060139Medium.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c365/dumone/P1060140Medium.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c365/dumone/P1060141Medium.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c365/dumone/P1060142Medium.jpg
MemberSTIDUB
Custom Title Time!
Over it.

Threads: 57

Mood: Worn out, for no benefit.

posted on May 21st, 2010 at 02:19 AM

did you buy shares in glad wrap? :D

Volkswagen Drivers Club of Queensland - member :)

STIDUB - yep its still a work in progress

Vwdcq club car racing/ and crashing while my bug isn't finished.

The above are personal views, no more, no less
Memberhellbugged
23 Windows of Awesome
48's and straight cuts

posted on May 21st, 2010 at 06:16 AM

:starhit:.........no no PALLET wrap donated by the local paper products wholesaler........"THE PAPER BOYS".......thanx Albert
MemberJVLRacing
Custom Title Time!

No Avatar

posted on May 21st, 2010 at 08:49 AM

Quote:
thanx Craig!.........

see you soon Paul :cool:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c365/dumone/P1060139Medium.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c365/dumone/P1060140Medium.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c365/dumone/P1060141Medium.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c365/dumone/P1060142Medium.jpg

LOL nice packing damo.....lookin forward to hear some good lap times from u and pazzan:cool:
MemberCraig Torrens
Scirocco Rare

posted on May 21st, 2010 at 02:55 PM

1.08's would be nice :yes:

Memberhellbugged
23 Windows of Awesome
48's and straight cuts

posted on May 24th, 2010 at 06:44 PM

went close Craig :fakesniff:

still not sure how to put the days racing into typo just yet.........but we got it there, it went and drove it back on the trailer, so yeah happy

vidoe editor still down so these three when watched in order make more sense

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbpe53Z7eZo 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEc4Nw2DwF8 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ6gU6_rqM0 

pretty sure Paul has some good on-board footage, can't wait to see that!
MemberSTIDUB
Custom Title Time!
Over it.

posted on May 24th, 2010 at 07:00 PM

daimo, so when is it getting some slightly improved brakes up front, when the wheels were off i was shocked to see they were stockies, perhaps a look at jak's would benefit?

Member1303Steve
A.k.a.: Steve Carter
Scirocco Rare

Threads: 556

Mood: Parrot Heading

posted on May 24th, 2010 at 07:59 PM

Hi Damian

It looked and sounded sweet. Did you go straight home, I thought you might have come on Sunday.

Steve
Member1303Steve
A.k.a.: Steve Carter
Scirocco Rare

Threads: 556

Mood: Parrot Heading

posted on May 24th, 2010 at 08:11 PM

Hi Damian

If you need them for the Notch that's cool with me, they were for down the track anyway.

Steve
Memberhellbugged
23 Windows of Awesome
48's and straight cuts

posted on May 24th, 2010 at 08:25 PM

yeah we will be looking at it before Valla show Steve so you can pick them up then if it's not gonna happen.......it's not that far away hey :no:

got out of there just before the cold dropped down and to the RSL for a feed and BEER.....stayed the night and early haul home by 5pm Sunday after dropping bro off in Randwick

brakes weren't real good, still fun

thanx organisers, fello competitors, friends and family for the support
MemberCraig Torrens
Scirocco Rare

posted on May 24th, 2010 at 09:00 PM

Looks good Damo :tu:.

You will need bigger brakes....and get good quality (race) brake fluid,then you will be able to brake a lot later into the corners with confidence.

Great work mate :cool:

MemberJVLRacing
Custom Title Time!

No Avatar

posted on May 24th, 2010 at 09:59 PM

:lol::lol:.....good stuff damo:cool:
MemberJak Rizzo
Insano Dub Head

Threads: 67

Mood: Pastizzi eating

posted on May 25th, 2010 at 06:55 AM

Imagine how quick u will get it going with some bigger front brakes & some more time in the drivers seat! Really it was your first "proper" drive around Wakefield too.
I'm glad u finally had a trouble free run, well deserved after all your hard work.
Did I read correctly elsewhere that your car is swing axle?
Holy dooly Daimo, that is so impressive!
Well done.
regards
Jak
Memberhellbugged
23 Windows of Awesome
48's and straight cuts

posted on May 25th, 2010 at 09:23 AM

thanx jak

It my first time anywhere beside raleigh. I enjoyed racing with you its amazing how much more confident i felt coming up to the people i know rather the drivers and cars i knew nothing of....not that there were any problems with the others or their abilities....just a trust thing, thanx for the tech and moral support during the lead up and day

No its not swing axle, the red glitter buggy has been labeled the heltoy and confused me too...its certainly a crazy swing axle!

Clearly paul was going to run the times the car was capable of and he was keen to play with the suspension settings to gain more time.....but he very justifiably lost confidence in the brakes

Got some more video footage that will have your sweet as beetle in it yet to load
MemberJak Rizzo
Insano Dub Head

Threads: 67

Mood: Pastizzi eating

posted on May 25th, 2010 at 09:58 AM

Like I told u, I had the exact same brakes that u currently have on my car when I did my conversion, 3 laps of Eastern Creek & they turned to mush for the very first time.
Just upgrade the front ones & they will be fine.
On our last run out together, when u were warming up the brakes, accelerating & braking, I could not believe how fast your car accelerated! The potential of these little engines is amazing. I was thinking that u could fit one of those PWR barrel WAIC, get it on the dyno & checked etc, it would be a monster!
regards
Jak
PS your car looks stunning with the black wheels
Memberhellbugged
23 Windows of Awesome
48's and straight cuts

posted on May 25th, 2010 at 11:02 AM

firstly thanx to ALL the people involved in the days organising.......Chris, Herb, Steve C.......Rudi and those i don't know the names of and the ones we don't even see on the day!.....it was nice to catch you all...

...without all the competitors it would just be wasted paperwork.......so congrats to those that put the effort in to have a day of racing fun too

.......hello again to the new and old faces who had a look at the consatant wheel nut tensioning, brake bleeding and tyre changing in the pit box........Dave S, sti Dave and the boss lady, Birchal, Wayne, Boris, Rod, Steve M..... Craig and Paul for the top photos.....Stevie Nat, Jak, Guy H.......even ledgend Shimmo stopped by to offer encouragement and support......i love the comeradery the scene has.......i'm sure there were others too........THANX

special thanx to my family that make what really is a big adventure possible..... my father, brother, daughter,sister, son, uncles, cousin ALL chip in when the need arises, not just on the day but during the loooong preparation too......appreciate it guys

oh and there is the missus and of course Jeff for letting me play race car driver for a day

mates JVL Stacey and Gannon....you all know why i couldn't go without ya

.......not to mention Paul Z for the PATIENCE, knowledge support and sensible influence on the day

BRAKES

yeah Dave........guess that's the problem when you take a hillclimb car and run supersprint.........yeah spoke to Jak about it all and the 911 hubs and rotors i was supposed to deliver to Carter's are now looking quite interesting

the brake bias and performance has always been more than adequate with hillclimb requiring quick pad temp reaction and only a few applications on a run..........stopping was not the problem, just the frequency of it...........they are slotted with competition fluid and pads......sadly still not enough

car was pulling top end of third/bit of fourth gear up to the hill, back to the middle hairpin and along the back straight to the last corner..........meaning 3 apps around the "fairly fast" mark........then the big one at the end of the straight were i suspect speeds were in the region of "quite fast"area! WOW.............on board footage will confirm this if we can see the tacho..........something we both confessed to only getting the odd glimpse of on the day .........shift light "WHAT SHIFT LIGHT" .........tell tale memory on tach showed 8000rpm for us both

loads of opposite lock in ALL gears and speeds....certainly makes you feel alive

Paul jumped in the seat after my first run asking how the hell did i stop it......."it's fine" i said until i realised he really did have the pedal on the floor. they were boiling once the car was standing after each run

yeah happy it ran hard.

after loosing pedal and bleeding after each of our 2 runs (one each on old tyres and another on the gooderer ones)........we were making every second dummy grid for each of us.......decision was made to bleed whole system dry and crack a brand new fluid bottle in and through.

the new plan being to ramp up the boost and have one good lap at a great time instead of 4 to try and keep the car out there

having just finished this, Paul instiinctly kicked the rear left just as i dropped it back on the ground........it looked like the rear wheel was about to fall off ........the trailing arm bush at the pivot box was completely absent !!!!!!!

don't know which run it departed on, but the symbolic hand shake between drivers showed it was the end for 2010 VW nats supersprint for us

Paul had done a 1:12.02 during his first stint in the car on the old tyres!

http://i1017.photobucket.com/albums/af296/craig179/Daimo2.jpg

but lost confidence in the brakes in his run on the good slicks after menacing the BMW for a bit (fair reaction tho)......not sure of times here, but loading vids may give an indication

i managed a 1.15 in the traffic on the first run......that was fun cutting through the field again but

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae86/Paulc1964au/Wakefield%202010/IMGP2210640x425.jpg

and then wrestled a 1:10.76 lap out of it the second run

http://i1017.photobucket.com/albums/af296/craig179/Daimo3.jpg

by the way.....we only ran 18PSI boost for the entire day and ramping it up was a "must do" on the days running notes ........
Memberhellbugged
23 Windows of Awesome
48's and straight cuts

posted on May 25th, 2010 at 11:19 AM

:cool:......i had the feeling you were watching that and thought you might be enjoying it too......i sure was. it must have looked rather PHAT with those black wheels from behind........i had a quiet chuckle to myself as Paul drove away through the pits, having forgotten just how crazy it looks. wish i had a photo from the rear

"in car" will show how much work it was to keep it on the track (well for me)........quicksteer, although unnoticed when piloting, plays a BIG part to give the driver an unfair advantage in the wrestling match :dork:

yeah sounds like a plan Jak..........now reliability engine wise, is coming together, we can move forward with the rest of the car too.

the ducting around the radiator played its part during both warming up to get off the RICH start programme............and held temps in the high 90's for the stints..........the fuel tank was much much cooler too:!:

we have a big LMS engineering WAIC there.......got to do a proper breather box as the fumes were again filling the cabin until we race taped the crap out of the firewall.

Jeff is excited again and as with the usual development of a race car the trailing arm bush will be replaced with greasable bronze ones both sides. Surprisingly the arms were never gusseted on this machine (which was usual practice at hellbug).........so they will be "boxed" completely for extra stiffness and constant camber/toe before long too. as usual keeping weight in mind with this process

naturally one thing leads to another so a more stable sway bar attachment will be fabricated as well

brakes will for sure be ducted either way. through the indicator holes in the front and most likely NASCA ducts in the rear windows.........there are boxes of options in the stores for front rotors and calipers, just a matter of nutting it out

thanx again
Memberhellbugged
23 Windows of Awesome
48's and straight cuts

posted on May 25th, 2010 at 11:36 AM

:yes:.......Paul's much cleaner lines are obvious here......so are the fading brakes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8w_dEfTxrI 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRqV1N0cmqg 
MemberJVLRacing
Custom Title Time!

No Avatar

posted on May 25th, 2010 at 01:10 PM

luv it .....cars deffently capable to do better, easily another 3 to 5secs of those times well done daimo ,paul..
Membervassy66T1
A.k.a.: Marcus Vass
Veteran Volks Folk
Wow ... are U reading this?

Threads: 76

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2
Mood: Happy to own a VW

posted on May 25th, 2010 at 09:16 PM

That is fantastic! :tu:

Looks an absolute treat and is turning in quite nicely.
Look forward to catching up.

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww235/vassy66T1/SignatureAVDmod1small.jpg

MemberSTIDUB
Custom Title Time!
Over it.

posted on May 25th, 2010 at 11:27 PM

Quote:

.......hello again to the new and old faces who had a look at the consatant wheel nut tensioning, brake bleeding and tyre changing in the pit box........Dave S, sti Dave and the boss lady, Birchal, Wayne, Boris, Rod, Steve M..... Craig and Paul for the top photos.....Stevie Nat, Jak, Guy H.......even ledgend Shimmo stopped by to offer encouragement and support......i love the comeradery the scene has.......i'm sure there were others too........THANX

sti dave?
Boss lady?

i sound like a diseased freak with a manager :lol:

ill let her know the new title, sure she will get a laugh from it, and i should get... :kiss:

Membercolonel mustard

No Avatar

posted on May 26th, 2010 at 12:53 AM

Next time i get in dave's car.... Oh hey Boss lady! how goes it!
 Pages:  1  ..  6  7  8  9

Go To Top