Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 141100 | Total Replies: 85 | Thread Id: 45239 ]
 Pages:  1  2  3
Author: Subject: Advantages of a jap engine - climate control!
Memberbaybuscamperkid
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber
prince of insufficient light, ruler of heck

Threads: 335

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: transported

posted on November 23rd, 2005 at 08:44 AM

why not nick the vents out of a bay kombi (you can take their holders out of the dash as well with a bit of care) or the classy little ones from a late t3? the late t3 ones fit in about the position you are thinking of and are a nice simple look.

Reimagined/Recycled/Upcycled Cool
MemberMikeM
Custom Title Time!
Buggy Head

Threads: 71

Mood: :duh

posted on November 23rd, 2005 at 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by baybuscamperkid
why not nick the vents out of a bay kombi (you can take their holders out of the dash as well with a bit of care) or the classy little ones from a late t3? the late t3 ones fit in about the position you are thinking of and are a nice simple look.

Wes considered Kombi vents but they are bigger and don't look as cool as the Mx5 ones.

MemberMidlife crisis
Veteran Volks Folk
Nartispuddlejumper, Bureau of Toxicity

Threads: 160

Mood: Wornout and Toxic

posted on November 23rd, 2005 at 12:14 PM

I like the reposted first one

Marc

If you can't laugh at yourself you can't laugh at anyone else! Because life is to short not to LAUGH
MemberJenny
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 20

Mood: Is it Friday yet?

posted on November 23rd, 2005 at 12:47 PM

You can dress up those plastic vents with stainless steel dress rings. I've put them in my MX-5 and they look great.
Another option would be the vents out of the Toyota RAV4. They are round as well but have flaps that can be closed, unlike the MX-5 ones.
MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

Threads: 94

Mood: Content

posted on November 23rd, 2005 at 01:03 PM

a friend recommended closing vents from an S15 Nissan. They look cool too but would probably be pricey and hard to find...

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

Wes - www.offroadvw.net - 200HP Quad Cam V6 in a VW Baja - with climate control... :)
www.taylorcycles.com.au - My DH MTB racing brothers shop.
MemberJenny

posted on November 23rd, 2005 at 01:22 PM

Yes, they look similar to the RAV4 ones
Memberricola
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 9

posted on November 24th, 2005 at 07:13 PM

What about some old mini air outlets?

The ones I have in my Libra must be pretty cheap and easy to get hold of, I've never looked tho'

http://www.ricola.co.uk/images/Libra_images/interior_5.JPG

Rich

Super Moderatorkombi_kid
Super Moderator
Good Kid too many projects

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 341

posted on November 25th, 2005 at 09:32 AM

looking good wes cant wait to see it up close and personal!!
cheers
rhys

it aint just cool its aircool'd
MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

posted on December 12th, 2005 at 12:54 PM

The climate control has been moving along slowly. Too many other things going on this time of year (xmas parties, birthdays, Motorcycle toy runs, broken house air con, planting gardens, putting up xmas lights, mowing the lawn that grows too damn fast). I was planning to finish the wiring on Saturday, but the 36 deg C temperature meant I lost motivation.

But I did get something done. I finished all the welding (hopefully) and the main unit seems to fit very well in it's new home. I welded up the old fuse box hole and painted everything black.

http://www.offroadvw.net/bajawes/images/ac/painted_front.jpg

Under the dash is looking mostly complete too, and is also now painted black. I just have to vacuum all the dust out and retrim the carpets a little. I was speaking to the guy who made my carpets in the first place, and he still had some of my colour carpet sitting around from when he first did my car (3 years ago). So hopefully I will have enough to pad and carpet the section under the dash so it really won't be noticeable.

http://www.offroadvw.net/bajawes/images/ac/painted_underdash.jpg

Hopefully this week I will quickly get the old wiring together so the car is driveable for next weekend (I want to go offroading at Mt Mee). Then during my xmas break I will redo the wiring probably and make all the air con ducting. If I get time and find an air-con shop open over the xmas break I might even get it all working.

Wes - www.offroadvw.net - 200HP Quad Cam V6 in a VW Baja - with climate control... :)
MemberMickH
A.k.a.: Michael Hutchinson
Bishop of Volkswagenism
Hairy Gutted Sloth

Threads: 29

Mood: Grow a brain...walls don't hit back...

posted on December 12th, 2005 at 01:44 PM

Looks like a neat fit.Good stuff!!

tssnq.com.au
MemberJenny

posted on January 12th, 2006 at 11:54 AM

I've been looking into air vents for my Eureka and stumbled upon a company called Flexible Drive Agencies.Thay have outlets in most States. Anyway, they sell and eyeball type vent like the MX-5 but with closeable vents. The part number is 061405 and it retails for $22.56 + gst. the catalogue is here http://www.fdrive.com.au/docs/Automotive%20Electrical.pdf 
MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

posted on January 24th, 2006 at 10:12 AM

Nearly 6 weeks has passed, and I haven't really gotten too far. I blame xmas (shopping and festivities), going for a trip up 40 mile beach with friends, getting side tracked on other projects and the ridiculous heat :) . I procrastinated about working on the car many times but retired to the comfort of an air conditioned house most of the time.

The first side-track project was the radiator scoop. You can read about that in the rear radiator post.

Next side-tracked project was a third brake light. I have had friends complain they can't see my brake lights many times, so I figured a third brake light was a good idea. My friend bought me a suitable LED light on his trip home to Singapore / Malaysia. I decided to put it in the rear spoiler above the engine. I couldn't screw it there, double sided tape didn't work, so I fiberglassed it in place.

http://www.offroadvw.net/bajawes/images/ac/light1.jpg

http://www.offroadvw.net/bajawes/images/ac/light2.jpg

http://www.offroadvw.net/bajawes/images/ac/light3.jpg

http://www.offroadvw.net/bajawes/images/ac/light4.jpg

So back to the climate control. I spent a long time rewiring the car (and part of that was another side project where I fitted later model beetle splined windscreen wipers as opposed to the early grub screw wipers I had). I lost my alarm and immobiliser wiring diagrams, but the supplier (Autostrada) was very helpful and photocopied another set for me. Wiring is slow and sometimes frustrating, but I have redone all the VW loom. I also tried to install a Jaycar speedo corrector kit, but it doesn't work and I am currently trying to sort out the problem with Jaycar.

As part of installing the climate control the whole dash needed to be finished off (the instrument cluster was never in there properly). I decided to cut up the plastic mazda dash to use the instrument cluster and climate control unit plastic surrounds.

http://www.offroadvw.net/bajawes/images/ac/plastic.jpg

and then test fit it in the dash

http://www.offroadvw.net/bajawes/images/ac/plastic_test.jpg

the instrument cluster is quite a different size. I could either spend weeks trying to weld and shape metal, or think or another way of making it look neat. The mid section of the dash was now a bit weak with so much cut out, so I figured adding a mdf panel onto the front of the dash would give some strength back, and give me something to work with so I could inset the plastic surrounds in the dash. This would mean that I will need to carpet the dash, which I was leaning towards anyway. It will be charcoal marine carpet like my floor.

http://www.offroadvw.net/bajawes/images/ac/mdf1.jpg

First I cut the mdf panel to shape and moulded the climate control surround into place (above). Then I had to attach the mdf to the dash (rivets in countersunk holes) and fibreglass the dash surround from behind.

http://www.offroadvw.net/bajawes/images/ac/mdf2.jpg

The mazda surround had gaps at the side due to the shape of the Mazda dash, so I fiberglassed those over too. Now I just need to spread bog over it all and sand it to shape. Once the carpet is on there you'll never know. I also hopefully have another climate control heat unit coming that still has black buttons (mine have peeled off).

http://www.offroadvw.net/bajawes/images/ac/plastic_fit.jpg

Membergerrelt
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

Threads: 3

posted on January 25th, 2006 at 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Wes I procrastinated about working on the car many times but retired to the comfort of an air conditioned house most of the time.

I know what you mean, but then the other way around, it below freezing over here.....

You're bug is going to be really nice!! Aircon, the ability to go everywhere AND with lots of power, very nice!!:thumb

It's looking good!

[ Edited on 24/1/2006 by gerrelt ]
MemberSandy

Threads: 14

Theme: XMBX Pro Green
Mood: hmmm

posted on January 25th, 2006 at 02:00 PM

Wes If you weren't doing something crazy to that car I'd be worried about you:smilegrin:
Memberricola
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on January 25th, 2006 at 09:04 PM

Nice going Wes!

I'm doing a similar job grafting the subaru instruments into my 1303 dash...

http://www.ricola.co.uk/images/cabrio/bug_dash_2.JPG

Rich

MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

posted on January 28th, 2006 at 09:10 PM

after many people objecting to my plans to carpet my dash, I have gone for the painting option. This of course means more work, and hours of sanding and preparation to get it all smooth. I'm getting pretty close though, it's pretty smooth...

my only concern is that offroading the dash might flex and cracked the filler out, but it never did that before I guess...

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

posted on February 3rd, 2006 at 09:40 AM

here are two pics of my painted dash. I painted it with my air brush. It just needs a clear coat to make it shiny like the rest of the car. The very left part of the dash is still the original clear coated colour. I blended the colour across. The preparation wasn't perfect, they are still some small marks, but it's pretty good and I didn't feel like sanding for another week to get it perfect.

http://www.offroadvw.net/bajawes/images/ac/painted_dash1.jpg

http://www.offroadvw.net/bajawes/images/ac/painted_dash2.jpg

Memberkoolkarmakombi
Veteran Volks Folk
enkarmarising

Threads: 158

Mood: do you see the bats?

posted on February 3rd, 2006 at 11:31 AM

love your work

This disclaimer does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either myself, my company, my friends, or my dog: don't quote me on that; don't quote me on anything; this disclaimer is subject to change without notice; text is slightly enlarged to show detail; resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and coincidental; dry clean only; do not bend, fold, or mutilate; anchovies or jalapenos added to this disclaimer upon request; your mileage may vary; no substitutions are allowed; for a limited time only while supplies last; offer void where prohibited; this disclaimer is provided "as is" without any warranties expressed or implied
Memberpyr0
flame-on

Threads: 123

Mood: why work when you can surf ?

posted on February 3rd, 2006 at 05:01 PM

thats damn sexy, i personally think it was worth the time to prep the dash to be painted it looks the good :tu:

Founding member of the C'town Rat-Pack

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/9477/newsigratpack25or.jpg
Membermodulus
A.k.a.: Peter Hill
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 76

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White
Mood: modular

posted on February 3rd, 2006 at 07:57 PM

That looks like ex-factory! Better than shag-piling the dash, for sure.

Peter Hill
1975 Type 2 Double Cab
modulus.com.au
Memberflat_iv
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 28

posted on February 7th, 2006 at 09:39 AM

Your dash looks great. All your guages should work since you are using the original instrument cluster. But what are you going to do for the fuel level guage because the VDO sender is probably different OHMs that the instrument cluster?
MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

posted on February 7th, 2006 at 05:54 PM

yes they don't like each other. I have been running the mazda cluster for 2+ years. The fuel sender kinda works. Full is full, half is 1/4, and 1/4 is empty. So it works for me but will confuse others. I think I may be able to fix it by modifying the stock sender (bend or shorten the arm) or by adding a resistor.

MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

posted on February 8th, 2006 at 08:27 PM

I put the dash together for a trial fit, and it looks pretty good.

I had Troy send his climate control face unit down to me, and his was not perfect either so I will try repainting the buttons on mine black.

I also had dramas with my instrument cluster. I got a little overspray on the clear cover, and decided to try cleaning it with metho. I dabbed it on one corner and then wiped it straight off to test to see if it melted the surface (which I could have buffed back out). To my disappointment (even after wiping it off) the metho caused the plastic to start crazy cracking. So now the left of the clear cover is cracked. I'll have to get another from a wreckers :(

Now I just have to make the under dash panel which will basically be an extension of the one already there. I will make it full width with the vents in each corner. I will probably also carpet the boxed out section under the dash.

http://www.offroadvw.net/bajawes/images/ac/new_dash.jpg

Membergerbie_rox

No Avatar

posted on February 11th, 2006 at 08:12 PM

Lookin Good! :tu:
Memberkoolkarmakombi
Veteran Volks Folk
enkarmarising

Threads: 158

Mood: do you see the bats?

posted on February 12th, 2006 at 10:53 AM

I dunno, purple leapard skin could do it!

Quote:
Originally posted by modulus
That looks like ex-factory! Better than shag-piling the dash, for sure.

This disclaimer does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either myself, my company, my friends, or my dog: don't quote me on that; don't quote me on anything; this disclaimer is subject to change without notice; text is slightly enlarged to show detail; resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and coincidental; dry clean only; do not bend, fold, or mutilate; anchovies or jalapenos added to this disclaimer upon request; your mileage may vary; no substitutions are allowed; for a limited time only while supplies last; offer void where prohibited; this disclaimer is provided "as is" without any warranties expressed or implied
MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

posted on February 19th, 2006 at 08:53 PM

I'll add more words later, but I am just posting to show the new dash.

http://www.offroadvw.net/bajawes/images/ac/new_dash2.jpg

I carpeted the section that is boxed down below the dash, so you virtually don't notice it, especially behind the lower velour panels I made for the dash (to house the outer vents). I also added some little MX5 courtesy lights that come on with the door light in the under-dash panels.

MemberMickH
A.k.a.: Michael Hutchinson
Bishop of Volkswagenism
Hairy Gutted Sloth

Threads: 29

Mood: Grow a brain...walls don't hit back...

posted on February 19th, 2006 at 09:53 PM

Looks great!!!!:bounce:bounce

tssnq.com.au
Memberricola
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on February 20th, 2006 at 02:18 AM

Looks fantastic Wes :tu:

How does the AC work?

Rich

Member11CAB
If ya got it....Baja it

Threads: 321

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: Beach'n

posted on February 20th, 2006 at 06:20 AM

So what are you using the switch on the gearstick for?

65 Meyers Manx
68 Country Buggy (KO 367)
68 Country Buggy (KO 669)
68 Country Buggy (KO 789)
68 Country Buggy (KO 815)
68 Baja Bug
76 Baja Kombi Twincab
MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

posted on February 20th, 2006 at 08:35 AM

the switch on the gearstick is just for my rear offroading spotlights.

The AC doesn't work yet, as I still haven't finished the ducting, or mounted the condensor at the front, or run all the AC lines.

I'll try to get all the ducting finished so at least the heater and fan of the climate control work before winter. But I will probably wait until winter to mount the condensor and run the AC lines. That way the AC shops will be low on business (in winter) so I will have more chance of finding one that will be helpful and patient when running the new hoses.

Pages:  1  2  3

Go To Top