Member68beetle
Casual Dubber

Threads: 19

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Disposissiative

posted on November 28th, 2005 at 04:00 PM
The "Black" look

Hi All,

I'm prepping a 66 beetle to undertake charity rallies such as the Kidney Kar Rally etc.

Going with the "Black Betty" theme. Basically we will be installing a whole heap of old speakers and amps we have laying around and running the loudest muffler possible. With the theme in mind we also want the car to look loud and, of course, be black. I was thinking a matt or satin look. We don't want it shiny.

As much of the car will be covered in sponsors logos and given the intention of the rally we're looking at a simple, cheap method of painting it ourselves. We're also fully expecting to have to repaint the car every year or so (if we survive the first rally that is) so the longevity of the paint is not that much of a concern. Just respraying the existing mottled surface rust/pale blue currently on the car.

So I'm after ideas you may have seen or heard of that will give us the look at the cost we desire. I've heard of cars being painted in Black Primer (anyone know if this works). Any other ideas or suggested paints?

Cheers

[ Edited on 28-11-2005 by 68beetle ]
MemberColumBUS
A.k.a.: The Liquid Chef
Wolfsburg Elder
Hail To The Bus Driver!

Threads: 164

Mood: Euro - Trashed

posted on November 28th, 2005 at 04:08 PM

wet and dry sand aper - $10.00 to rough up the original paint

matt black paint - 4 litres - $45
Thinners - $?? not much

Paint Brush - $5.00 go for the hand painted look!
or get a compressor and airgun for rent or borrow, real cheap either way (i'll lend you my backyard and gear for some beers over summer)

the paint job won't last long, or look that great, but if its covered in sponsors stickers and you dont want to keep it forever then all you need is what ive listed.

just rough up the existing paint with rough wet n dry, then a rub down with smoother wet n dry to get rid of scratches, then apply paint... as much as you want to get it to stick. Don't worry about clear coat, its overrated for cheap paint jobs.

its a real rough, but real cheap and heaps of fun over a weekend!

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j68/kroozinkikko/fishsigfinalsmall.jpg
Membertwoguns
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber
simply aircooled

Threads: 226

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Grey
Mood: simply cruizin'

posted on November 28th, 2005 at 05:10 PM

go straight to super cheap and get some GMH matt black. will do what you want... simple!

Simply Cruzin'...
Member68beetle
Casual Dubber

Threads: 19

Mood: Disposissiative

posted on November 29th, 2005 at 08:46 AM

Top stuff. Exactly what I had in mind. Thanks.

I think i'm going to have to hit up the local super cheap store for some sponsorship - i've given them enough business to pay for it!

The cars currently missing engine, gearbox, interior and brake hardware (busy weekend two weekends ago). All new brake hardware, bushes, stops and shocks go in weekend after this. Then it will be rolling again. Thanks for the offer of the gear ColumBUS but a little difficult. I might come down with some beers when we get it on the road in the first half of next year.

Go To Top