Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 3608 | Total Replies: 4 | Thread Id: 54359 ]
Author: Subject:  TMI interiors
Membermscabrio
Veteran Volks Folk
Cabriolet Queen

Threads: 142

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Swimming in water. Floating on air.

posted on July 16th, 2006 at 08:33 PM
TMI interiors

I am about to start the very exciting process of restoring my new aquired and beloved 1974 bug called Jane. As she is dearly loved I want to be kind to her and make look all pretty. However I don't have a great deal of cash to play with as most of our money needs to go towards funding the full custom resto on Lello (blutopless' Oval) I have heard that the TMI seat covers look and feel authentic so I am happy to buy those and install them. My question is about the headlining. Some people have said that the TMI headliners are good and easy to instal and some have said that they don't fit well and are painful to install. What are peoples thoughts on this? Also does anyone know if I buy a TMI headliner who can instal them? I don't trust myself to do it (I was always the one at school with lumpy contact on my school books!) and all of the motor trimmers I have tried have laughed when I said that I have a bug.

:punk:
Super Administratorbarls
A.k.a.: Mr indestructible
Super Administrator
Causer of Chaos and Mayhem

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 295

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2
Mood: indestructible? and listening to the voices

posted on July 16th, 2006 at 08:44 PM

my experience with headtrims is its generally cheaper to get the upholster to make and fit a custom one rather than buy one then get to fit it. but if you are going to fit it yourselves go the tmi one

“We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.” Bill Hicks
the chaos project - click me

http://www.goats.com/store/images/banner_destroy.png
Super Moderator65busser
Super Moderator

Rank Avatar

Threads: 224

Mood: dakked

posted on July 16th, 2006 at 09:45 PM

I fitted a TMI headlining to Adam's (Empi)'s black '58 bug and found it to be a great fit and fantastic quality. You wouldn't attempt it unless you knew what you were doing. They're real easy to stuff up cos there's lots of cutting and fitting. TMI offer a couple of headliners, and Adam's was for a later bug like yours, i.e. one piece, whereas the older bugs come in several pieces.
The TMI one duplicates the original grain, colours and weight and is the only one you'd use if you wanted it to look factory. They make them for those who care, and want a faithfull restoration. Most motor trimmers are accustomed to one piece hard headlinings as used in modern cars, whereas the bug/VW lining hangs on bows that run from one side to the other. The time taken to do a VW headling would be 10 times that of a modern one and most trimmers won't be interested, I think you'll find.
I doubt there'd be many trimmers who'd make one up for the cost of a TMI lining, (about $200), and there'd be even fewer who could make it look like a VW lining.
TMI's seat covers are nice for a 74. Just like the original. Thing is you can have beautiful covers, but if what's underneath (seat pads), is not fresh and solid, they'll look like loose bags draped over your seats. TMI also make the seat pads and will make the whole lot look and feel like new.
Happy to help if you need a hand.
Brad

Membermscabrio
Veteran Volks Folk
Cabriolet Queen

Threads: 142

Mood: Swimming in water. Floating on air.

posted on July 17th, 2006 at 07:18 PM

Thanks for your offer of help Brad, will contact you when it comes the time for Jane to have her insides dressed! Am very excited she is going to be beautiful !!!!!!

:punk:
Super Administratorvw54
Super Administrator
Always Waiting 4 Friday

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 378

Mood: Oval resto ongoing

posted on July 18th, 2006 at 07:30 AM

I used the TMI covers on various cars for the past 15 years or so. I had a set on a Type 3 with kids jumping all over them everyday and they lasted great and still look good when i sold the car. Same with the door panels

Make sure when you fit them that you add some extra padding to the origional horse hair to stop it sagging, there easy to fit ive done 5 sets

Call Vinatge if you want to purchase or any advise on the TMI products they have a pretty good range in stock, or can order them for you 02-9789-1777

I suggest that you seal the backs of the door panels and rear 1/4s with a clear lacquer to stop moisture getting it to them, as an added precaution

I havent fitted a headliner but if there the same as the rest of the products then i dont see any probs

Go To Top