Author: Subject:  rear 1/4 air intake
Membersilverbullet
A.k.a.: Ian
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 70

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on January 4th, 2007 at 08:56 PM
rear 1/4 air intake

My beetle finally goes back into the shop next week to get some new rear 1/4 air intakes welded in aswell as a few other bit and pieces hopefully by the end of the week it might come ou in a colour. The dilema i'm faced with i cant decide on a final design for the scoops these have to be functional as they feed the intercooler. Below is the pic of the old ones which i moulded out of glass but i was never really happy with the shape or design i'm wanting the new ones to be out of metal and not to be quite as bold as the one before. I have been looking at various types of cars with scoops from mustangs through to lamborghini. but really cant find anything that would look great in my 69 beetle. So it would be great if any one has any pics of scoops that they think would look good. Cheers any ideas welcome
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a41/vwsilverbullet/scoops.jpg
Member1303Steve
A.k.a.: Steve Carter
Scirocco Rare

Threads: 558

Mood: Parrot Heading

posted on January 5th, 2007 at 12:10 AM

Hi

I saw a photo somewhere of a bug that had Type 3 wagon or fastback rear mudguard vents grafted into the rear 1/4s, it looked very factory.

Steve
Membersilverbullet

posted on January 6th, 2007 at 06:41 PM

cheers i have been thinking about flutting the rear 1/4's to look something like that. I got the idea from the last vwma with the outlaw 356 porsche with the flutted reqar windows.
Membershaihulud
Custom Title Time!

No Avatar

Threads: 197

posted on January 8th, 2007 at 09:55 AM

I suggest the you investigate NACA ducts. They are the triangular ones that are level with the body work. The door handles of a Lamborghini Countach are in NACA ducts. The benefit of them is that they actually suck air into themselves rather than need a scoop to catch the air first. They are very efficient. You can buy clear plastic ones that fit into the windows of racing and rally cars to use as a pattern.

If you find a NACA duct that is larger than about 200mm long please let me know as I need a couple for a BD5 aeroplane that I am building as a museum exhibit.

Take a look at Herbie Fully Loaded. He has ducts grafted to the rear mudguards.
Member68AutoBug
A.k.a.: Lee Noonan
Aircooled Master
Beetle Restorer - Experience over 138% - YIKES --

Threads: 449

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: Really Mentally Ill - all of the time -

posted on January 8th, 2007 at 10:53 AM

Well, live and learn...
I was just going to say that He would have needed scoops to catch the air as i thought the air would just go past the ducts and do nothing....

Yes, I did notice Herbies ducts and many others on racing beetles....
especially the ones in the rear side windows...

The early renaults with their rear engines had the air ducts about where the old tall style stone guards go on rear guards....
there was just an aluminium sort of grill there....

Lee

- [size=4]Helping keep Air Cooled VWs on the road - location: SCONE in the Upper Hunter Valley - Northern NSW 320 kms NNW of SYDNEY--- [/size]
Memberboof2332
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 120

Mood: Sympathetic

posted on January 27th, 2007 at 07:14 AM

I have scoops cut in the top of each rear gaurd that feed an intercooler box, and they work awesome..
Memberboof2332
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 120

Mood: Sympathetic

posted on January 27th, 2007 at 07:15 AM

I have scoops cut in the top of each rear gaurd that feed an intercooler box, and they work awesome..
Memberliltimmy1300
Commited Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 7

posted on January 27th, 2007 at 07:46 AM

I have been thinking about some future plans for my 1300 too...I reckon either scoops like ones on herbie, or there is an old porsche 356 that has vents in the rear windows & all the pipe work running through the back of the car...Im not sure how you would do it...but if you could pull it off it would look great.
Membersilverbullet

posted on January 27th, 2007 at 10:16 PM

I now have the car back from the shop. I'm very happy with the results that he and i have come up with. Now i have the fun job of smoothing them all out and making a custom trim moulding to go with it. Should be cool when finished i shall post some pics when i progrees a bit further and they begin to take a bit more shape and in primer still in bare metal.

Go To Top