Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 1785 | Total Replies: 16 | Thread Id: 63084 ]
Author: Subject:  Should we make a Type 3 FAQ?
Memberjo_tas
A.k.a.: Josie McLean
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 126

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Black
Mood: Notchy

posted on June 11th, 2007 at 08:40 PM
Should we make a Type 3 FAQ?

Hey
Now that we have our own forum, I thought it might be handy to make an FAQ on Type 3's.

It could include things like how to remove seats (something that is commonly asked) and... well... i'm sure we can think of others!

Good idea? If so.. any suggestions for it?

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i255/josie_ladybird/crashtest.gif
MemberKom81y
Commited Dubber

Threads: 5

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on June 11th, 2007 at 08:57 PM

How do you fix the seat release? You know how you slide the button on the side so you can let someone sit in the back. Mine don't lock so you just have to push them forward and back
Member1500S
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 73

posted on June 11th, 2007 at 10:06 PM

Check that the latches on both sides (under the seat) are free to move out into the recesses in the backrest uprights. The button on the side only actuates a flipper which pushes the R/H latch in for release.

DH
Memberelectricmonk
A.k.a.: Jason
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 56

Mood: Indego

posted on June 12th, 2007 at 12:17 AM

Not on the technical side but perhaps a register of who in aus sells type3 parts and/or tips on importing parts from the us. Also a register on what mechanics are type3 proficient. Then just the normal stuff of what can fit from other cars. So I think a FAQ would be a good idea

And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a ploughshare, he'll know he's been hit
Memberretroresto
Wolfsburg Wizard
A.K.A Paul

Threads: 147

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Green
Mood: Depends on how my VW is running

posted on June 12th, 2007 at 01:53 PM

Just FYI

Im in Adelaide and only Resto Type 3's. I've had plenty of experience with them and am happy to help and advise anyone looking to resto one or just general advise on where to get bits. I do complete resto's from paint, body work and trim, i leave the engine's to the Pro's but almost everything else i do in house. cars so far

69 Fastback, 68 Notch, 65 Square, 72 Fastback, 73 Notch, 67 Fastback, 69 Square, im sure there's more but thats a few so far!!!

Cheers
Paul
Membertinman
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 93

Mood: Day dreaming

posted on June 12th, 2007 at 03:41 PM

Yes a FAQ would be good.
MemberNotch Nut
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 37

posted on June 12th, 2007 at 04:14 PM

Great idea. Gets my vote:starhit:

If you can't fix it with a hammer,
you have an electrical problem....
Memberelectricmonk

posted on June 13th, 2007 at 05:55 PM

Off topic but:retroresto what side of town are you on. Everyone seems to be on the North side which virtually eliminates me getting mine looked at to see how much needs to be done and a ballpark on cost :(

And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a ploughshare, he'll know he's been hit
Memberelectricmonk

posted on June 13th, 2007 at 06:01 PM

Almost forgot what are peoples ideas on for sales and wanted (Type 3 specific) in here. I was thinking that it would make it easier for us folk to find or sell parts/cars as we would be dealing with like minded people instead of sifting through all the other VW stuff. Are there legal reasons as stated in the For Sale FAQ. Or are others completly against it and just wish to have no sales talk in here. I can see the benifit of either but perhaps some direction right from the start would help so that we were all clear on what we as a group want

Membertinman
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 93

Mood: Day dreaming

posted on June 13th, 2007 at 07:09 PM

I'd love a seperate section for the for sale of parts and cars for type3. Just merge them into one in it's own section under type3 and I'll be a happy man.
Memberretroresto
Wolfsburg Wizard
A.K.A Paul

posted on June 18th, 2007 at 01:01 PM

Hey electricmonk,

Im in Salisbury, Yes the Northern end of Adelaide, someone has to live here!!!
Feel free to give me a bell and we can talk type 3's
Paul
0437 161 290 :thumb
Memberelectricmonk

posted on June 18th, 2007 at 01:29 PM

Hey Paul do you live next door to a guy Named Trevor if so I should have your number here somewhere, he gave it to me before Christmas but I didn't want to bother you in the festive season.........and somehow its now the middle of the year

If a FAQ was to come about then what about putting in general info for the beginner such as hew to check points, plugs timing, valves ect. I know that a lot of times we tell people to check the plugs for condition and gap, but how many times do we tell them to be careful putting the plug back in. It could save a few people from having stripped holes. Also how about details on different stock carbs. Over at the SAMBA they have a Fuel Injection FAQ as they have more FI cars, whereas we have More carbed cars. It would be good to know what jets, floats and other parts are supposed to be in there. I should know it's taken me considerable time to get mine back to factory spec and the car now runs a lot better. If we went with card details I will ask a very helpful gent over on the SAMBA if I can use the detail he has supplied me over here

PS: To make it easier my my names Jason

[ Edited on June 18th, 2007 by electricmonk ]

Memberjo_tas
A.k.a.: Josie McLean
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 126

Mood: Notchy

posted on June 18th, 2007 at 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by electricmonk

If a FAQ was to come about then what about putting in general info for the beginner such as hew to check points, plugs timing, valves ect. I know that a lot of times we tell people to check the plugs for condition and gap, but how many times do we tell them to be careful putting the plug back in. It could save a few people from having stripped holes. Also how about details on different stock carbs. Over at the SAMBA they have a Fuel Injection FAQ as they have more FI cars, whereas we have More carbed cars. It would be good to know what jets, floats and other parts are supposed to be in there. I should know it's taken me considerable time to get mine back to factory spec and the car now runs a lot better. If we went with card details I will ask a very helpful gent over on the SAMBA if I can use the detail he has supplied me over here

PS: To make it easier my my names Jason

[ Edited on June 18th, 2007 by electricmonk ]

That is basically what i had planned!
If people would like to u2u me suggestions (or even full questions and answers) that would be great.. when i get enough i'll start a new topic with them all in the first post.
If i get enough i might have to make a seperate website!!

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i255/josie_ladybird/crashtest.gif
Membercrewcabconnection
Custom Title Time!
Being Sid James

Threads: 293

Mood: Looking forward to week 10

posted on June 18th, 2007 at 11:01 PM

absolutely not. You 3 types are getting up yourself, know your place and be happy. You're in here to make up the numbers.

Loves a lolcat
Memberelectricmonk

posted on June 18th, 2007 at 11:22 PM

I laugh in the face of constraint...ha ha. You and your inferior vehicles will one day know the joy of driving the Type3. Join us or die.

:)
I will try to get some info down in print soon. I should be working on my resume for a job I was offered but like it where I am, just because its more than double my wage they think I will jump for it.

Memberretroresto
Wolfsburg Wizard
A.K.A Paul

posted on June 19th, 2007 at 12:41 PM

Hi Jason,

I do live next to a Trevor!! Small world, Now that i think back he did ask me about someone he knows with a Type 3. This must be you!

If you get the chance head up north one day in ya Type 3 and let me check it out, whay type do you have, year etc?

Paul :thumb
Memberelectricmonk

posted on June 19th, 2007 at 02:21 PM

Mine is a 72 Square. Found more rust issues than I hoped for but all look fixable for now. I get some money back from the tax man every year and half of this I can spend outright on the car. The wife still doesn't like it but the kids do. I'm home for the last two days while the wife works and each day my two year old wants to go out for a drive. It's nowhere near as good as a lot of the examples on here but I will get there in the end. I REALLY have to address the one sided sag on her though one day. It's been there for almost twelve months. Most of the time has been taken up working on fixing minor annoying engine problems (ignition, carbs, fans ect) She is now running really well apart from a slight oscillating vibration. I think that the replacement fan is out of balance so that will have to come off again soon.

Oh and PS I just had confirmation that I can use the carb details from Russ Wolfe over at the SAMBA as long as It's credited. Good job that man! and very friendly to boot. I will start trying to get it together tonight, or finish....er start my resume or the wife will have my balls taken out of storage and served to me for breakfast.

Go To Top