Author: Subject:  Aircooled VS Watercooled
Memberthestu
Commited Dubber

Threads: 13

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on January 23rd, 2009 at 09:41 AM

both. they have there differences

air cooled for simplicity and fuel economy

watercooled for the ability to make more power easily and cheaply...(well cheaper than an air cooled motor :)

watercooled.

my 40hp
Membersunnygirl
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 1

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: Jolly as ever

posted on February 16th, 2009 at 04:31 PM

I also have only ever driven air cooled VW's ranging from 54 oval right through to now a 56 Oval & 75 L bug - my husband and I have recently purchased a new T5 Dual Cab all wheel drive ute and I must say this baby flies.....once out of first, then second gear this vehicle launches into third and onto 6th gear and I can reach 100klms + in seconds. I am extremely impressed with the performance of this so-called commercial vehicle and am even tempted to enter into the Warwick meet. I love all my past and present VW's and hold no opinions either way - shame alot of my fellow VW mates didn't feel the same about water cooled dubs - I should give them a go at the T5.
MemberAussie FJ40
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 0

posted on April 14th, 2009 at 05:30 PM

cant see air cooled running at 130kph all day in 45 degree heat in the territory,gimme water anyday,i do like the old vw but i want to cruise in comfort,ill stick to my lwb t5 and my R36,oh and my first car,a 66 beetle 40 years ago,i wont go back,i do like the california look on the old ones,just my 2 cents
Memberrustguard
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 10

Mood: always

posted on April 16th, 2009 at 03:18 PM

its a bit unfair to compare an engine design from the 1930's to a modern 21st century engine? so compare it to any watercooled enginecar from that time?

dak dak dak dak dak dak
MemberAussie FJ40
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 0

posted on April 16th, 2009 at 06:17 PM

air cooled may be ok in a cold country but they never cut the mustard here in oz where the temps are too hot,simple fact,dont know how many air cooled cars i towed in the territory over the years but it would exceed water cooled by lots,and they made them way past the 30s,us humans need water,so do cars,if air cooled is so good how come we done away with it?gimme water,maybe a bourbon first
Memberrustguard
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 10

Mood: always

posted on April 18th, 2009 at 02:52 AM

the vw engine was designed in the 30's and hasn't changed much, even the wasserboxer looks like the same engine with a water jacket chucked in the equation.
As for towing more aircooled, no way, impossible 1 there's just not enough of them compared to watercooled cars, they would have to die at a rate of 10000 to 1, also they can still run with a cracked head to get u home. watercooled though much better in heat can be more dramatic when they overheat. look at the redex trials and all the offroad races they have won in the past. if air cooled is so unreliable how come they had first and second place in the redex reliability trials? they went through the topend. that said I like watercooled engines better

dak dak dak dak dak dak
MemberLukeV85
Seriously Crusin Dubber
P Master

Threads: 17

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue

posted on September 8th, 2009 at 12:33 PM

i shall never buy a watercooled VW again, all ive seemed to have with them is trouble, while my old bug keeps on keeping on......unless i keep buying dudz

1962.5 VW Beetle 1200
2002 VW Oettinger Bora - Statutory Write Off
MemberJVLRacing
Custom Title Time!

No Avatar

Threads: 30

posted on October 1st, 2009 at 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LukeV85
i shall never buy a watercooled VW again, all ive seemed to have with them is trouble, while my old bug keeps on keeping on......unless i keep buying dudz
...depends wat you buy....i think it goes both ways....
Membera11djr
Learner Dubber

Threads: 6

posted on October 19th, 2009 at 09:24 PM

tough call!!!!

1975 Swallowtail RIP Buddy
993 CARRERA 2S
1992 GTI CAB
54 RHD Barndoor

Team Wackeldackel
Melbourne Branch
Membermotha
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 16

posted on November 8th, 2009 at 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JVLRacing
Quote:
Originally posted by LukeV85
...depends wat you buy....i think it goes both ways....

Agreed 100%

I brought a mint beetle & it pulled the headstuds in the first week of owning it.
Got rid of it straight away!

I'd still like another beetle though.

I'm not going to say the waterpumpers are bulllit proof either, as they have also let me down(very rarely though), but not to the point where it's left me stranded. I've always been able to get home.

I also normally drive 600-800km a week for work in my mk1. When I was an apprentice it was 1000km a week!

I've found/noticed being in the trade, the more you use the car, the better it is. If any car sits for long periods of time, they all can deteriorate!!

So the subject is really at the crossroads I think.

My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top