Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 2

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

question.gif posted on May 24th, 2008 at 10:17 AM
T3 Dual Cab handling

T3 Dual Cab performance

Hi Guys.
I'm new to this group so here goes. I have also posted this topic in watercooled VW's. I'm considering buying a 1989 T3 Dual Cab. Rear engine Kombi's were famous and legendary for their 'tractability' and of being unstoppable in getting to way out places off the beaten track. Are there any T3 DC owners who can give me some idea of how a T3 Dual Cab performs on unmade bush tracks of a sandy nature around the coastal fringes where I live. I want to use the ute for camping ,photography and collecting firewood. I've waited for a syncro but none around, also pretty heavy on that liquid gold stuff called petrol caused by its low gearing(no 5th gear) as I occasionally need to travel on the hwy. Anyway I'm not into heavy duty 4wd. Any help,advice anectdotal evidence would be much appreciated.Do tyres make a difference for this kind of usage. On another matter what is BB code? Thanks in advance
MemberEuro_67
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 75

posted on May 24th, 2008 at 02:47 PM

I remember the syncros won 4WD of the year in about '90-'91.
Membervwjon
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 101

Mood: oily n thirsty

posted on May 25th, 2008 at 01:48 PM

the t25 doka is a worthy vehicle to get to and from almost anywhere, they are alot stronger built than vans or kombi's they are also heavier, i think your ideal vehicle would be a syncro with a de-coupler, this disengages the forward propshaft allowin 2wd and decreasing the ole fuel consumption.
i believe that 4th gear in a syncro is 5th gear in a kombi, its 1,2,3 where the differances are, the syncro has a crawler gear and others have a 1st gear, try setting off in 2nd gear, i cant do it in my syncro but i could in my kombi
all t25's have exellent ground clearance, no worries there! you may find problems on soft sand but wider tyres and low PSI should overcome these, provided you are not doing any serious 4x4ing. check out club80-90 website, its a uk site no soft sand but loads of mud!

3 1959 cadillacs
1 musso
2 early notchbacks
2 split kombis
2 split panels
1 split ute
1 low light panel
1 ex-pmg bay
1 country buggy
1 beetle ute
1 14" syncro caravelle
1 16" syncro doka
1 golf cabrio
1 vw camper trailer
2 3meter bombs
MemberMallamick
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 2

posted on May 26th, 2008 at 12:41 PM

Thanks for that info. Yes I have visited 80-90 and the same comments were made in regard to gearbox ratio's. I would never have thought that at the top end, that 4th on a syncro was almost the same as 5th on a 2wd. In fact one member believed that with the right wheels that perhaps the syncro may even be better.Why are DOKA's heavier?
Membervwjon
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 101

Mood: oily n thirsty

posted on May 26th, 2008 at 08:52 PM

under the rear deck theres the "origional" engine cover thing, the metal work etc on top of that are 2 large chassis rails and ontop of that the load bed, then theres all the extra strengthening behind and inside of the second cab, with all that extra metal they are heavier. if you get a chance look in the engine bay thru the rear hatch, now look upwards, heaps of metal!

3 1959 cadillacs
1 musso
2 early notchbacks
2 split kombis
2 split panels
1 split ute
1 low light panel
1 ex-pmg bay
1 country buggy
1 beetle ute
1 14" syncro caravelle
1 16" syncro doka