A.k.a.: Craig
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 83

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: In the mood for change

question.gif posted on June 7th, 2008 at 05:38 PM
Challenge – How to quadruple my horsepower

OK ladies and gentlemen here’s a challenge

Gwendolyn is an unmodified 1974L Bug and as such runs a 1600 engine and according to the original owner’s manual puts out an almighty 50hp.

Quite frankly that doesn’t seem like enough to do anything decent in club motorsport, so for no other reason than it is neat, I’d like to aim for 200hp.

Your challenge is to tell me, step by step, how you would get her to that magic figure.

Here are your parameters:

Timeframe: 5 years – I’d much prefer to do it in steps than all at once

Budget: No specific budget, but if you figure on roughly $2,000 a year, so $10,000 all up (happy to save two years worth for the big stuff like EFI). Less than that obviously makes my wife happier:lol:

Capacity: concession made, originally I wanted to keep it under 1600, but am willing to consider moving up to 1916

Must use as much of the original motor as possible. No new (or non-VW) engines!

Must include:
- Engine
- Gearbox (if you don’t believe the current four speed will cope)
- Exhaust
- Suspension (used in dirt events so lowering is out)
- Brakes
- Instrumentation etc
- anything else important I’ve forgotten

Looks aren’t important but I want her to be a sleeper, so as original on the outside as possible (no popped engine lids).

If you don’t believe the 1600 can get to 200hp, what do you think she could get to?? If you don’t believe $10K is enough, what the heck is??

Looking forward to reading your plans & Thanks!!!!

1969 Beetle - June
1974 L Bug - Gwendolyn
2002 Bora V6 4Motion - Anita
Memberbajachris88
A.k.a.: Chris Leete
23 Windows of Awesome
The international telephone dialing code for Antarctica is 672.

Threads: 534

Mood: A bee bit ma' bottom, now ma' bottom's big!

posted on June 7th, 2008 at 06:15 PM

I'm far from as experienced as most people on this forum, but to keep the motor a 1600, and 200hp, Be far easier, if not, only applicable by going forced induction. (at a DAM decent pressure).

And that involves alot of interesting other complications that i'm sure the other boys could enthasise for ya. Cause ur going to have a crazy amount of pressure, higher running temperatures and those poor original seals, well, doubt they would last too long.

Cheaper to get the 1600 bored out to a 1916cc or sumfin, do a light turbo on that with a few other goodies, be easier to reach 200hp then a stock 1600, + no one will know its 1.6ltr from the outside anyways.

anywho, no one had replied yet, so i thought i would give ya my 2 cents. There are some seriously dam good dub engine builders here that would give ya a more clearer indictation

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
69' baja: kombi box, thing spindles, irs, disc front, type 3 rear drums, 2 inch lift kit, 31x10 rears. :tu:
New engine in process: 94mm p&bs, 74mm C/w chomol Crank, 35.5x39 SP heads, turbo. Wierd combo, hopeful torque monsta!
Member1303Steve
A.k.a.: Steve Carter
Scirocco Rare

Threads: 556

Mood: Parrot Heading

posted on June 7th, 2008 at 06:25 PM

Hi

Give up now and go WRX, search Jaks old threads or go 1916 and run in under 2 litre.

Trying to keep your cc under 1600 will only cause you grief because there are much faster cars with more potential in that class, the 1600 cc Salzburg rally cars http://www.salzburgkaefer.at/  made a lot of hp, but with lots of tricks learned from years of racing.

Steve
MemberCraig S
A.k.a.: Craig
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 83

Mood: In the mood for change

posted on June 7th, 2008 at 06:27 PM

Just to show how committed I am to my own parameters, I'm prepared to fold on the capacity, but I would think under 2ltr would be necessary for me to continue to stand any chance. Of course that then costs more!!!

BTW, whilst she'll never be a daily driver, I do want her to be reliable-ish.

Cheers

1969 Beetle - June
1974 L Bug - Gwendolyn
2002 Bora V6 4Motion - Anita
Memberbajachris88
A.k.a.: Chris Leete
23 Windows of Awesome
The international telephone dialing code for Antarctica is 672.

Threads: 534

Mood: A bee bit ma' bottom, now ma' bottom's big!

posted on June 7th, 2008 at 06:57 PM

$10k will be enough buddy, don't u worry. And buy going more than 1600cc, it makes it easier!

just budget, shop around, and know exactly what ur after. Think about all the parts of the system and what you would want rather than a bit at a time, cause they all gotta work with each other obviously..

Better yet, buy a kit that will take the guess work out, and give ya the components to reach your goal:

http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1821  (range from $700 to $2700 US, note there are more engine kits on that site besides in that one link)

They include: NEW piston & cylinder kit NEW - gland nut and heavy-duty washer NEW - 100% new crankshaft NEW - forged rods - set of 4. NEW - performance grind camshaft with gear NEW - lightweight performance lifters - set of 8 NEW - heavy-duty chromoly pushrods - set of 8 NEW - Hi-performance engine gasket set NEW - heavy-duty oil pump NEW - heavy-duty main, rod and cam bearing sets - all standard size

These hi performance engine kits are for you vw motor, they each involve a different bore and stroke depending on how far you want to go when it comes to final engine capacity. + each bit is selected to be appropriate and well suited to all the other bits included in the kit.

http://www.youtube.com  has some great vw motors on it too. seach up vw motors or engines and what not, and they have many video's and details of people showing off their 200 and 200+ hp vw motors in action, and what ingredients to used to make the beasts.

Here is a supplier of full vw turbo kits to suit your engine:

http://www.lowbugget.com/turbo_new_page_link.html  (rang from $2100 - $3000ish US)

$10k should be no worries!

(ô_!_/ô) (ô_!_/ô)
69' baja: kombi box, thing spindles, irs, disc front, type 3 rear drums, 2 inch lift kit, 31x10 rears. :tu:
New engine in process: 94mm p&bs, 74mm C/w chomol Crank, 35.5x39 SP heads, turbo. Wierd combo, hopeful torque monsta!
MemberVWCOOL
23 Windows of Awesome

No Avatar

Threads: 235

Mood: happy to help

posted on June 8th, 2008 at 09:46 AM

I think you better 'fold' on your budget, too... Any more than 130-ish hp in motorport and you will need a gearbox: That'll be 3K+.. and I doubt you will get under-2-litre 200hp for under 8K

Pay your debts, CxxT
Super ModeratorBizarre
Super Moderator
The artist formerly known as blue74l

Rank Avatar

Threads: 730

posted on June 9th, 2008 at 09:50 AM

This is not something you are going to solve over a few questions on the internet.

$10k is just not going to cut 200HP
$3k for the box is buying really well. A 915 costs that and THEN you have to fit it.

What about brakes?
Consider another $3k at least to get decent brakes all round

Also dont fall for the 200 is better in track work.

There are a Subi conversion or 2 that are making 200HP yet going no faster than a well sorted 1916.

Start by sorting the suspension and brakes and a mild job on the motor and build from there

Also consider type 4

Futue te ipsum!!!
MemberCraig Torrens
A.k.a.: Craig Torrens
Scirocco Rare
6 times Australian, 7 times State Hillclimb Class Champion

Threads: 347

Mood: Time to go Salt lake racing, and actually achieve a result.

posted on June 9th, 2008 at 11:08 AM

good luck :tu:

Memberhellbugged
A.k.a.: Daimo Pell
23 Windows of Awesome
48's and straight cuts

Threads: 116

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Blue
Mood: Couldn't care less

posted on June 9th, 2008 at 11:44 AM

yep good luck from me too:smilegrin:
Memberkroozzn63
Bishop of Volkswagenism

Threads: 317

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: mmm coffee

posted on June 9th, 2008 at 03:42 PM

gday thanks for posting the question and challenge most of us start with, unforunatley the guys here also started with similar ideas and have had years of trying to do it and know the reality and its "goodluck" but theres no harm in the journey they have travelled for u too. im told its all about power to weight ,so maybe consider how light u can get it and thats free! then work out the motor styles the fellow track guys r doing and go for it but this site is a concentration of passionate vw motor builders with years of experience and a mix of mechanically skillless having a go so listen learn and teach and most importantly have fun , my 2 cents or 5bucks, start with a set of twin carbs /extractors and make her light as a feather then go from there ..enjoy

show us your gates
MemberBiX
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 154

posted on June 12th, 2008 at 05:29 PM

Look at the dyno charts in the drag section. Most of the 200hp + motors are all well into 2l, mos closer to 3L and are drag motors.

The hot 2L beetles all run 2L motors, Pobjoy is the std most ppl aim for, but others make then, and budget well over 10k.....

Personally you can have 200hp and under 2L but i would work on 20k plus absolute min. A 2L 120hp is easily achieveable for club stuff, but again if its built for you budget over 10K.........

As the others have said, best of luck and when you find a 200hp motor for 10k let me (along with most ppl here into motorsport) know and iam sure we will all be buying them!!!!

The way to make a small fortune in motorsport....... start with a big one!!!!!

I have no sympathy for my car, only the wallet that pays for it!
Go hard or go home!!!!
Membergreedy53
Bishop of Volkswagenism

Threads: 468

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Grey
Mood: strung out

posted on June 12th, 2008 at 06:42 PM

supercharger is the go 25 hp to 83 hp stock 1600

:yes::yes::lol::no::ninja::grind::dork:

Go To Top