Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 1041 | Total Replies: 7 | Thread Id: 69972 ]
Author: Subject:  standard tyre size on type 3?
MemberRota_Motor
Casual Dubber

Threads: 22

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: german engineered

posted on June 22nd, 2008 at 08:54 PM
standard tyre size on type 3?

as it says, what are people using as a standard replacement tyre on type 3s??

in particular Danielles 1972 square, right now it has 185R15C light truck tyres fitted, and they scrub like no-ones business when at full lock or backing out of the driveway.

the book I got says they have 590x15 tyres standard, apart from being awfully skinny, if I'm not mistaken that arouns a 145 or 155 R15 in metric radial?? (my bloody 1970 mazda 1300 has 6.15x13 crosspl;y or 155SR13 radials)

Danielles beetle is back of the road for its makeover, and I got the job of project manager/head mechanic/artistic advisor/ideas man.
and somehow she got a type 3, which is all good, because I got 'Victa' the 'spare parts Type 3'
Super Administratorbarls
A.k.a.: Mr indestructible
Super Administrator
Causer of Chaos and Mayhem

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 295

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2
Mood: indestructible? and listening to the voices

posted on June 22nd, 2008 at 09:02 PM

they were straight 165s

“We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.” Bill Hicks
the chaos project - click me

http://www.goats.com/store/images/banner_destroy.png
Member68AutoBug
A.k.a.: Lee Noonan
Aircooled Master
Beetle Restorer - Experience over 138% - YIKES --

Threads: 449

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: Really Mentally Ill - all of the time -

posted on June 22nd, 2008 at 09:28 PM

Yes, Correct

they were 165 x 15 radials on type 3s
and 155 x 15 on Beetles

the type 3 wheels were slightly wider than a beetles..

165 80 x 15 should be available..

throw the truck tyres away...

LEE

- [size=4]Helping keep Air Cooled VWs on the road - location: SCONE in the Upper Hunter Valley - Northern NSW 320 kms NNW of SYDNEY--- [/size]
MemberRota_Motor
Casual Dubber

posted on June 23rd, 2008 at 06:47 PM

thanks guys, so 165R15 is what we are looking for, the other car has 165/80R15 on it, and they do look alot better on, but they aren't much good anymore.

any ideas for good brands? cheap is good, but decent quality is a must.

Danielles beetle is back of the road for its makeover, and I got the job of project manager/head mechanic/artistic advisor/ideas man.
and somehow she got a type 3, which is all good, because I got 'Victa' the 'spare parts Type 3'
Member1500S
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 73

posted on June 24th, 2008 at 08:17 PM

Kumho 165 standard size are quite OK and grip well for sane driving of a VW!. Don't forget you may have an arguement if you want them tubless. Seems that as the standard VW rims aren't the safety ones with the grooves, by law they require tubes. Thats what I was told when I had mine fitted. Haven't had any roll off yet but I haven't reminded the tyres that the rims are standard and they haven't got tubes in them.

DH
MemberRota_Motor
Casual Dubber

posted on June 25th, 2008 at 09:48 PM

hmm, not safety rims you say?? I'd think the 72 items are, but maybe the early wide five rims werent safety type.

oh well, I got a friendly tyre guy, I might just have to have a chat with him. If only I can find someone that would like some 185 15 inch light truck tyres.

MemberBRUTUS
A.k.a.: et tu, Brute
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 17

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Grey
Mood: ACE 30 FOR SALE!

posted on June 25th, 2008 at 11:21 PM

The later rims ('68 - '73) will be the safety type, 4 1/2" Jx15. The J indicates the rim should have the "hump" making it suitable for tubeless (you can still put tubes in if you want). You can feel & see the hump from the outside.
The date is stamped into the rims too, but can be hard to see (it's in a little circle). Best to make sure they are all the 4 1/2" type 3 type, not beetle ones (if you want it the same all round, or all-original). The earlier type-3 4 1/2" rims DON'T have the offset (ET) marked. Before about 3/72, if they are 4-stud 4.5" (& no ET), they will be for type 3. After that there are 3 different offsets (in the 4stud 4-1/2" inch rims): ET-34, 41 & 46, though only ET46 (least offset) should be on the type3. It's easy to tell ET34 (& 41) from ET46 by eye, looking down the outside.
The reason fro going on about the offsets is that the bigger-offset (beetle) rims may be more inclined to rub at the front, specially with a 'chunky' tread. If you have a mixture, try to get the bigger offset (34 or 41) at the rear.

Beetles with 4.5" rims, from early '72 on, also use the 165 R x 15, not 155.

ACE 30 & 40 oils: specifically engineered for your Air Cooled VW
delivered (free del.) throughout Yarra Valley / Ranges, & Gippsland areas. Also ACE 20, 50 & 90.
FOR SALE: ACE 30, 40 etc. Oil formulations & Trade-names.
Member1500S
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 73

posted on June 26th, 2008 at 07:18 AM

Wasn't sure when they changed to the 4 1/2"J rims. Too used to looking at the old 5 stud ones!

DH

Go To Top