Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 2013 | Total Replies: 6 | Thread Id: 70131 ]
Author: Subject:  Lok Right Locker in a Buggy !!
MemberBrad
Wolfsburg Elder

No Avatar

Threads: 332

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Manx Buggy Building

posted on June 30th, 2008 at 06:52 PM
Lok Right Locker in a Buggy !!

Ok just for some factual feedback I have been running a Lok Right locker in a 091 Transmission for the last few weeks. The car is the Geko which is a full length VW Buggy Ute weight 693 kg with me in it.

Anyway the Lok Right Locker is an Auto Locker or unlocker as you may say. It is locked all the time and basically allows one wheel to travel faster than the other but not slower. So when you go around a corner it allows the outside wheel to go faster than the inside one so you can turn.

So how did it drive ??

Offroad - AWESOME !!! the thing was damn near unstoppable. I could crawl around my test tracks and up all the hills with easy. Turning was a little iffy under full power but it drifted nice and you could control it. 9/10

On road - DANGEROUS, this baby gives over steer a whole new meaning. Now only did I have a hard time staying on the road when I put the boot in she tried to run over things. The Geko is just too light to disengage the wheels correctly and the steering is light normally so the locked rear end was just plain scary.

I have driven Bugs and Kombi’s with Lok Rights in them and they were fine.

So it will be out very soon and is going to live in a street car non buggy type with a drag plan.

So if you were thinking of getting one for your buggy don’t bother with an Auto Locker, get a manual locker or learn to use turning brakes.

Brad
Why copy when you can own an original ?
Meyers Manx Australia
MemberLIFE IN THE LOW LANE
A.k.a.: Brennden Alder
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
All people have the right to stupidity but some abuse the privilege

Threads: 53

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Orange
Mood: What Kombi wants vs what Kombi gets are nowhere near the same...

posted on June 30th, 2008 at 07:09 PM

Yeah they work really well in a bus but you have some form of reasonable weight over the front wheels too.

[size=4] ACCEPT THAT SOME DAYS YOU ARE THE PIDGEON AND SOME DAYS YOU ARE THE STATUE[/size]

Alder Outlaws VW Racing - check it out on fb!!
MemberBrad
Wolfsburg Elder

No Avatar

Threads: 332

Mood: Manx Buggy Building

posted on June 30th, 2008 at 11:56 PM
mmm

Quote:
Originally posted by LIFE IN THE LOW LANE
Yeah they work really well in a bus but you have some form of reasonable weight over the front wheels too.

Yep and you sure don't in a buggy. Tis out now and a new box is in with open diff, should be a nice relaxing drive to work tomorrow, just a bit chilly at around 6 deg.

Brad
Why copy when you can own an original ?
Meyers Manx Australia
MemberTheMiniMan
Insano Dub Head

Threads: 162

Mood: swings

posted on July 5th, 2008 at 12:41 PM

Brad, where can i buy a Lok-Rite diff then, who sells them? & How many Moneys?
Just thinking that because Volks Mod told me that they won`t be selling their air locker diff till they`re happy with testing it for a while & seeing that i`m re-building my 2L box at the moment that maybe it might just be best that i just shove a Lok-Rite in there for now & be done with it till the Porsche box arrives
MemberPauld
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 25

Theme: UltimaBB Pica Red

posted on October 9th, 2008 at 10:39 AM

go the lock rights, i have one in my weekend toy (suzuki sierra) am suprised it made your steering difficult, in my experiance id just say it wasnt adjusted properly and the lokka was working to well, have known a couple of guys up here who have shaved the pinion blocks in the 4bys so that there is not as much tension in the lokka to make them handle on roads better
MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

Threads: 94

Mood: Content

posted on October 9th, 2008 at 11:24 AM

The difference is a sierra has the engine over the front wheels to assist steering. The Geko has nothing over the front wheels.

Wes - www.offroadvw.net - 200HP Quad Cam V6 in a VW Baja - with climate control... :)
www.taylorcycles.com.au - My DH MTB racing brothers shop.
Member1303Steve
A.k.a.: Steve Carter
Scirocco Rare

Threads: 556

Mood: Parrot Heading

posted on October 9th, 2008 at 01:32 PM

Hi

I went to the Lock right site and they don't have a listing for any VW or Porsche applications, are these unit used in 091 trans adapted from another car?

Steve

Go To Top