Author: Subject:  Tyres on a T3
MemberTransparu
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 79

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: GREAT!!

posted on July 31st, 2008 at 05:44 PM
Tyres on a T3

I have an '82 Transporter with Trakka conversion and an EJ22 Subaru engine.

I'm soon going to need new tyres and am interested in what brands others would recommend.

I put on a set of Pirelli Citynet Plus 195 R 14C tyres the last time I needed tyres.

When I was a young boy my father came home one day and said that he had put a set of these new-fangled “radial ply” tyres on his car. He liked them, but said the only problem was that if he ran over a two shilling piece he could tell whether it was heads or tails. There was that much more transferred from the road to the steering wheel.

With these Pirellis on my VW, I can tell whether the Queen is smiling or frowning! I was amazed at just HOW much of road surface undulations is turned into sound or touch by these tyres. They seemed to wear well, but for the first time in my life I was very irritated by a set of tyres.

Has anyone suggestions of other suitable tyres? I'm interested to know. What mileages do people get on bitumen?

Thanks,
Dave
Memberrocknrob
A.k.a.: Rob
Insano Dub Head

Threads: 90

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Black
Mood: mystic

posted on July 31st, 2008 at 06:13 PM

14" tyres are a bit limited these days...you might consider changing to 15" or 16"...especially with the torque of the EJ. I have mercedes mags and 225/60/16s and they transform the old kombi into a very road capable vehicle:tu:
MemberTransparu
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 79

Mood: GREAT!!

posted on July 31st, 2008 at 07:49 PM

My problem is that I have about 10-12mm clearance between the roof and the garage door. I already had to modify the roller door tracks to get it in to start with. Any greater height and I'm a goner. I HAD considered larger tyres though.
Dave
Membervwtyp2
Son of Jim - Creator of Good

Threads: 160

Mood: over it

posted on July 31st, 2008 at 09:26 PM

I had Zeetex 225/40 17's on my T3 and was very happy with them for a cheap tyre.
I now have Austyre 225/45 17's on my T4. and for a cheap tyre they ride and wear well.

maybe you could reduce your ride height a little to get it through the garage door?

Most people seem normal, till you get to know them.
MemberIwish4aSynchro
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 102

Mood: Cheery

posted on August 3rd, 2008 at 08:57 PM

Mate actual Clearance wont change unless u throw a stupidly high profile rubber at it.
On a 15" Rim usually comes down to a 60-65 profile tyre and this in turn becomes the same height as old LT 195/75, man were they are 195/75/14" anyhow,
My 2 cents Rims can be a costly project, longer studs, wheel spacers, but that all depends on what type of offset your new 15/16" rims are?

If after simplicity stick with the Pirelli City Track, Had a set on my 85 CL Caravelle, first Kombi I ever owned and since then no rubber i have thrown at them comes close to traction wet holding, handling, shit overall useable rubber. Go the Pirelli City Tracks.
On that note I was never worried about cruising at Dry weather speed(110-115Kmh) in wet weather on those tyres, friggin awesome rubber.

Keep the steering and the propulsion seperate . Still a Kombi...

It's all good, until it's bad, i suppose

Go To Top