Author: Subject:  CB's For Sale In The US On The Samba
Memberztnoo
Insano Dub Head

Threads: 120

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Dazed & Confused

posted on August 29th, 2008 at 08:13 AM
CB's For Sale In The US On The Samba

I thought the forum might have mild interest in this small peice of CB trivia I have stumbled upon in the last couple of days.
I would never have dreamed there would ever be this volume of listings of CB's on an American web site.
=&section[]=&wanted=show&zip=&zipdist=0&state[]=&usaregion=&country=&sort=date&sort_order=DESC&a mp;submitButton=Search]http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?submit=yes&keywords=Cou...

In relative terms as far as the numbers go, I'm pretty surprised.
The last one is very interesting.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=637084 

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/pix/2160018.jpg

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/pix/2160019.jpg

Regards,
Steve

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff127/ztnoo/laidbackroo.jpg
Fine tuning the proper daily ratio of Maxwell House to Bacardi 151.........

* Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia !
Memberkroozzn63
Bishop of Volkswagenism

Threads: 317

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: mmm coffee

posted on August 29th, 2008 at 03:32 PM

wow hmm wonder its legit and left hook too

show us your gates
Member11CAB
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber
If ya got it....Baja it

Threads: 321

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: Beach'n

posted on August 29th, 2008 at 05:37 PM

Looks like a Sakbayan

65 Meyers Manx
68 Country Buggy (KO 367)
68 Country Buggy (KO 669)
68 Country Buggy (KO 789)
68 Country Buggy (KO 815)
68 Baja Bug
76 Baja Kombi Twincab
Memberztnoo
Insano Dub Head

posted on August 29th, 2008 at 05:59 PM

Samba ad text:

1971 VW Country Buggy Hardtop Sakbayan Price: 7500 obo
The story of this EXTREMELY RARE VW is an interesting one. First a bit about myself: I am an A.S.E. master automotive technician with over 20 years as a professional auto tech. I have been a VW enthusiast since I was a teenager. My first car was a 1967 VW Beetle. Since then I have owned well over 100 Volkswagens and still own several. Some time ago I was approached with the opportunity to bring this special car back to life and prepare it to be sold. I have agreed to bring this car back to a mechanically sound state and to sell the car for a commission.

I have inspected the vehicle and performed many mechanical processes that are too numerous to list here and the end result is a car that runs, stops and drives pretty well. The only mechanical flaws that I can state are the parking brake does not work and there is some noise from the right front suspension due to excessive play in the king pin. The engine is a 1600 single port with a deep sump oil system, electronic points replacement, dual exhaust and new generator. The engine starts and runs great. The transmission is a VW bus type with reduction boxes. This is the stock transmission and it works great. The interior panels are in good shape and the seat upholstery appears new. The floor boards have been coated with glossy black paint and appear to be in great shape. I could only find one small hole by the battery which is approximately the size of a quarter. The steering wheel on this car is in incredibly good condition. There are no cracks at all and the horn ring and button are clean. This steering wheel looks the same as a split window bug would have. The roof rack on this car looks like it is a modified VW van factory roof rack. It appears to have been widened for this car.

Now for the interesting part of this rare car: Country Buggies we produced by a Volkswagen subsidiary in Australia. Only 1956 examples were ever built and of these there are only 245 known to exist in the world. Nine of these are in the U.S. This one makes ten. All known models of this car have a convertible top and no doors, except this one. I have researched this car extensively and have been in contact with the administrator of the County Buggy Registry who lives in Australia and is an expert on these cars and he was amazed to learn of this car as no other steel hardtop is known to exist!! This car was ordered and modified in the factory. The roof section and doors are unique to this car. I have thoroughly inspected the roof, doors and interior of this car and I am 100% convinced that this car was factory built. The construction of the doors and interior roof panels are call consistent with Volkswagen construction. The parts used are all off the shelf VW door handles, window parts and latches. The level of fit and finish of this car’s roof could not be achieved by a do-it-yourself conversion. The rarity of any Country Buggy is extreme, but this car is the rarest of rare. I took it to a few VW car shows this year and the car drew a crowd each time. It is a very different and fun car to drive. It is a perfect candidate for restoration and even a future magazine cover. I have more pictures with more detail if requested. If you have any questions I will answer any I can. Contact me through email at angusandtj@yahoo.com or (831) 233-1684 -Jason or at (831) 484-2165 and ask for James.

Hurry as we have received several firm offers already in the $6000 range.

Although the vehicle runs and drives I recommend transportation or shipping as the registration is from 1990.

Payment within 7 days.

$500 deposit within 72 hours

* Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia !
Memberrcraigbug
Learner Dubber

Threads: 0

posted on September 5th, 2008 at 06:37 AM
Hard Top

Hi, I am new to this forum and new to CB's. I live in California and I am the new owner of the car listed above. I do have a few questions such as why does my car NOT have a KO # it has CB 536 is that because it is a Sakbayan and not a CB. The hard top and doors appear to factory. It was originaly beige then orange and now white. It appears that it started out beige and the had the top conversion done and the painted orange and then it was painted white on the outside. It has no rust at all but the rear engine compartment was modified at some point for a Corvair motor. It has a 1600 SP at the moment. I look forward to more info from all the CB experts here.
Thanks,
Rich

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.
Memberztnoo
Insano Dub Head

posted on September 5th, 2008 at 10:40 AM

What a fascinating question!
Perhaps this is a conundrum no one can answer....
A "CB" designation attached to the body under the bonnet......this isn't something I have heard of before.....but you are not necessarily wrong to assume this may have something very clearly to do with the Sakbayan and the entity formed to produce CB based vehicles in The Philippines....DMG.

I think this definitely needs the input of the King of CB's, Bill Moore.
What say you William?

Man, this forum is a real live history lesson.....every week!
:tu:

Regards,
Steve

MemberMick058
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 109

posted on September 5th, 2008 at 10:51 AM

Did all country buggies come in savanna beige?

Memberztnoo
Insano Dub Head

posted on September 5th, 2008 at 07:55 PM

"Vehicles are predominately Savannah Beige in colour with 194 (80% of total). Green (Deep bronze green ) painted vehicles account for 20 units and the remaining 10 units were originally Paprika Red in colour. At this time another 17 vehicles remain where the original colour is unknown.

Three of the known red coloured Buggies were produced within the first 50 units and 12 of the green coloured units within the first 175 units. There were limited units produced in any other colour but Savannah Beige after the initial 300 units"

---Bill Moore
The Australian Country Buggy Story
http://members.netro.com.au/~vwcc/cb.htm 

Memberrcraigbug
Learner Dubber

posted on September 6th, 2008 at 10:43 AM
Sakbayan

Are Sakbayan owners allowed to play here? I feel a little lonely being the only one. Is the Sakbayan included in the registry, or am I just a red headed step child that nobody loves?
Rich:fakesniff:
Member11CAB
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber
If ya got it....Baja it

Threads: 321

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: Beach'n

posted on September 6th, 2008 at 11:46 AM

Hi there, if you have some pics of your Sakbayan, email them to me and I'll add them to the Country Buggy Gallery here:

http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/Country-Buggies 

65 Meyers Manx
68 Country Buggy (KO 367)
68 Country Buggy (KO 669)
68 Country Buggy (KO 789)
68 Country Buggy (KO 815)
68 Baja Bug
76 Baja Kombi Twincab
Memberztnoo
Insano Dub Head

posted on September 6th, 2008 at 08:07 PM

rcraigbug (Rich)
I can't imagine that anyone would not welcome you here.
The Saks and the CB's are about as closely related as any vehicles could be.
I think you'll find there is more info available about them here at the CB Forum than anywhere else in the world and on the net.

This hardtop question that has been turning up is very interesting to me. I found another example in the Samba International Forum which is very similar to what you have, but with what appears to be a few minor visual differences.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k213/DONGKG/2007%20VW%202HOW/Image727.jpg

Note this one seems to have what appears to be a fiberglass CB-like top and steel side panels and doors.
Another difference is the rockers or sills. This one has one rib running below the door.
Yours is pictured in the Samba ad with two reinforcing ribs, one of which is running through the sheet metal on the door.
Interesting variations on theme. As to which was produced first, and the reasons they were done differently, I have no clue.

Perhaps Bill or someone with more background about this will jump into the discussion.

Regards,
Steve

Member58camper
A.k.a.: Bill Moore
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 110

Mood: Curt but friendly

posted on September 6th, 2008 at 08:39 PM

Rich,
The welcome is extended to all Sakbayan owners as well.
The more the merrier........
The hardtop thing is wierd, even for the CBs. There was only one fibreglass hardtop sold as an option from what I have seen in paperwork yet there is quite a regular occurrence of a ute type metal hardtop on more and more vehicles. I received another photo today of this ute type hardtop.
The ones on the Sakbayans are different to what was sold here in Australia and I reckon that DMG ( Philippino importer) made them locally.
Steve is right about the lack of the extra ribbing on the side sill as well. I have not seen a vehcile before with only one rib and photos of I have of other Sakbayans show the two ribs as well.
It has been difficult to get any reliable information stuff out of the Philippines re the Sakbayans but I do have a genuine sales brochure which has some wierd noticable differences.

Now for the question regarding the CB# stamped on the small plate on the Sakbayan. Looking at the photo that plate seem to be located in a different place to where the KO# appears on the CB. From what I can see it looks like this CB# plate is close to the brake fluid resovior.
I have not had any Sakbayan reporting a CB# previously so this vehicle with a number surprises me.

countrybuggybill
Memberrcraigbug
Learner Dubber

posted on September 7th, 2008 at 11:15 AM
CB 536

I have alot of pictures of CB 536, Where should I post them or who should I send them to so I can share and get advice on my CB?
Thanks,
Rich

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.
MemberBrad
Wolfsburg Elder

No Avatar

Threads: 332

Mood: Manx Buggy Building

posted on September 7th, 2008 at 11:22 AM

send them to 11Cab - vwnuts AT bigpond.com

Brad
Why copy when you can own an original ?
Meyers Manx Australia
Memberztnoo
Insano Dub Head

posted on September 11th, 2008 at 06:57 AM

I found another pic of the Sak hardtop posted previously next to a lowered CB in the Philippines.
Kind of like a Hummer, or maybe an H3, sitting next to a Moke.
:lol:

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff127/ztnoo/bigger2.jpg

Memberrcraigbug
Learner Dubber

posted on September 15th, 2008 at 10:25 AM

My Sakbayan has the older style headlights, but I have noticed most Sakbayans have the later style headlights. Does anyone know when they changed to the later style?
Super ModeratorBUGBOY
Super Moderator
Chief Toy Dude / Head Cruiser

Rank Avatar

Threads: 403

Mood: A wise German once said

posted on September 15th, 2008 at 04:10 PM

Welcome to the CB forum Rich
Feel free to post all the pictures and information you have up in the members CB section here on the CB forum.
It will be great to see and compare the differences between the two.
Sakbayan's I think to most of us here are an unkown thing as we are all still learning about CB's but I think most would love to learn more about its long lost brother.:spin:

Nathan

Everything 36HP !
Change over king and link spindles
6-12volt semaphores
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/BUGBOY1976/13349829.gif
Find us on Facebook

Go To Top