Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 1249 | Total Replies: 2 | Thread Id: 71476 ]
Author: Subject:  Flywheel? Gearbox? Anything!
MembernewVWa
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 9

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on September 1st, 2008 at 09:10 PM
Flywheel? Gearbox? Anything!

Hi there,
A few questions from a novice.

I have a 74 bug and have a stan pobjoy 1641 running in it at the moment. Needs some TLC and I intend on removing it for just that. I came across a 1600 out of an automatic and would like to run this till I fix the 1641.

It still has the fly wheel attached so I will obviously have to remove this. I also have to find a cover plate for the auto oil. After this is fitted and if I can find another ($?) flywheel (instead of using parts from the 1641) is there anything else I should be aware of before I attempt to fit the motor?
Very novice at this stuff, sorry.
Also I have a close ratio gear box fitted. I think the bloke was wanting to get into racing in hill climbs. Is there a certain type of gear box (model type) I could keep an eye out for, as I use my bug for longer trips and would like to keep the revs down a bit more?
Any info would be great, I've got the idiot guide book but any advice would be very much appreciated!!
Memberctefeh
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 30

Mood: grimly determined

posted on September 1st, 2008 at 11:51 PM

newVWa,
To get the flexplate off without *&%*^ing it, bring it up to TDC on No1 plug (about halfway), pull the plug and wind in a fair length of 1/4 inch rope leaving some hanging out the hole. Best bet is to find someone with a big rattle gun and 36mm socket to undo the gland nut. Other wise grab said socket, big entension bar and slip a pipe over it and try that way. Two 8mm bolts (filed flat) screw into holes in the flexplate to work it off the crank.

This way, you get to NOT ruin a Flexplate, and can keep it, the gland nut 'n' washer for some unfortunate soul.

You would be better off pulling the entire oil pump assembly and replacing it with a 26mm Schadek unit and cover plate. Undo the nuts at the rear (rear of car) of the crankcase (4 or 5??) and the case should release the pump enough to CAREFULLY pry it out.

Flog off the bits on FleaGay or let someone have a crack in the For Sale section here first.

You will need a manual trans glandnut, the A-S one is thin and doesn't have a pilot bearing. Oh, you'll have to reset endplay. Also, an A-S engine doesn't have the two lower studs a manual engine has for the G'box.

HTH
Ctefeh (probably forgetting something)
MembernewVWa
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 9

posted on September 3rd, 2008 at 04:02 PM

Cheers Mate

Go To Top