Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 1238 | Total Replies: 7 | Thread Id: 71938 ]
Author: Subject:  super or standard? opinions please!!
Memberdj_daniel88
A.k.a.: Daniel
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 14

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

question.gif posted on September 25th, 2008 at 03:27 PM
super or standard? opinions please!!

So I understand that super beetles have the superior suspension and the spare tyre lays flat... Did they continue to make the standard beetle after they introduced the super? I ask because I found a 1972 beetle on carsales that is listed as a 1300 but actually has a 1600 motor in it.
http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/private/VOLKSWAGEN/BEETLE/details.aspx?_...
I want a beetle for weekend driving, and my budget (about $5k) is restricting me to the later models, however I don't like the padded dash. So I thought this limitted me to the 1302 beetle, unless you can buy a 1970s model non super? Which brings me to my next question: should I go for the super or not? Is the ride quality that much better?

I asked in the general forum, but didn't get a reply so I'll ask here: the 15 millionth beetle special edition with the badge on the glovebox. I did a few searches on here and found some info, but I am still not sure about their value. Are these worth a premium over the standard beetles?

look at this one:
http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/private/VOLKSWAGEN/SUPERBUG/details.aspx...

the car looks great, new interior , respray etc but has small minor rust at back windscreen, so for 7.5k it seems a bit much, or is it worth the extra because its a special edition?

sorry for all the questions , i don't like being the newbie lol.. i need to learn though i don't want to rush into it like last time.

appreciate any input.. thanks!!
Member1303Steve
A.k.a.: Steve Carter
Scirocco Rare

Threads: 556

Mood: Parrot Heading

posted on September 25th, 2008 at 03:39 PM

Hi

The brown one is a 1300 model, 4 wheel drums and swingaxle rear end, horrible colour

The green one, looks Ok but the price is about 4-5K too much.

I'm not sure where you are (fill in your profile), it might be best to go along to a few local car events to see what's for sale and also check to see what local VW shops have on offer.

Steve

PS I like strut models, that's L&S models but other prefer non strut models. It depends on your intended use etc
Membergreasykitchen
A.k.a.: Stephen
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 13

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: PhD recovery

posted on September 25th, 2008 at 03:44 PM

Standard 1300 Beetles were made up to 1975. They retained the more classic look, not having the slightly bulbous front of all supers or the rounded windscreen of the 1303 (L Bug).

I've not driven a super, but I had a '72 standard. I've heard that standards are more forgiving than supers if the suspension/front end is a bit worn out, but supers have better, more modern suspension and handling when they are propely manintained and set up well.

Obviously 1302 and 1303s have bigger motors and more power but I assume a 1600 engine can be transplanted into standard bug. Standards also have drum brakes all round, while supers have front discs.

As for which is better, it might be a matter of personal preference and/or the condition of the particular car in question. I'm sure others will chime in with their opions. Supers and Ls are probably better for daily driving.

As for the carsales thing, I think it is a quirk of the web site that it only has an option for 1300 beetles from the 1970s and not the more common 1600.

Here's a pic of the front of my old '72 standard to show the difference in shape at the front.

[url]http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh297/greasykitchen/VWs/VW_front2.jpg[/url]

Cheers :)

'76 Golf
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh297/greasykitchen/DOVW09/P3291472_crop_resize.jpg
Super ModeratorYogie
Super Moderator

Rank Avatar

Threads: 108

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue

posted on September 25th, 2008 at 04:08 PM

I find that our 1302 s bug is a smoother ride and handles better but it is much heavier in the steering than our 68 standard beetle. We have discs on the front of both though so there is no difference in braking and they also both have a 1600 twin port. The 68 is lighter though so it goes a little better.

My wife doesn't like driving the super as it is too heavy for her. I haven't driven another 1302 so I can't say if they are all like that but that has been my experience.

Yogie.
Memberdj_daniel88
A.k.a.: Daniel
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 14

posted on September 25th, 2008 at 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 1303Steve
Hi

The brown one is a 1300 model, 4 wheel drums and swingaxle rear end, horrible colour

The green one, looks Ok but the price is about 4-5K too much.

I'm not sure where you are (fill in your profile), it might be best to go along to a few local car events to see what's for sale and also check to see what local VW shops have on offer.

Steve

PS I like strut models, that's L&S models but other prefer non strut models. It depends on your intended use etc

yeah i thought the price was a bit high... but thought it was because it might have been a collectors item.
lol at the brown one ... not the nicest colour but i was going to consider it if it was a good car with no rust etc...

i'm in melbourne, i don't know of any vw shows or anything around here, and i only know one air cooled vw place: volkspower in blackburn (i think). anybody know anymore?

well i don't really mind the different shape of the super, i'd rather have a better suspension and better brakes. so i have narrowed it down to a 1302 then. nothin on carsales or tradingpost at the moment. ill just have to wait! anybody know any other good places to find them?
Member1303Steve
A.k.a.: Steve Carter
Scirocco Rare

Threads: 556

Mood: Parrot Heading

posted on September 25th, 2008 at 10:44 PM

Hi

I think there is a show later this year in Melbourne. There are few causes of heavy steering in 1302s, lack of lube in the steering box or a tight idler bush.

Steve
Membertrickysimon
A.k.a.: Simon Azzopardi
Custom Title Time!
100km/h is only 9 seconds away

Threads: 43

posted on September 26th, 2008 at 03:29 AM

I have a 1974 non standard and it can out handle all my friends toranas etc etc.. by alot. Never driven or been in a super before so don't know how much better it would be.
Simon

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii19/trickysimon/Beetle/sig.jpg
Super ModeratorBizarre
Super Moderator
The artist formerly known as blue74l

Rank Avatar

Threads: 730

posted on September 27th, 2008 at 10:53 AM

the later you buy the more standard safety items you will get

I drive mine daily and for that i like the elphant foot tail lights.
When i cruise to shows with ovals you really struggle to see indicators and brake lights.

Technically ANY change requires an Engineers report

So items that come standard on 74-75L (1303's) and 76 Standards are
*discs
*retractable seat belts
*large tail lights
*1600 twin port
*alternators
*dual brake circuit
*collapsable steering colum
* hazard lights
* 2 speed wipers

If you could pick that green one up for $5k i would say buy that one
I looks very tidy.
If it is only a small patch it wouldnt cost ......$400?? to repair

Me - i like curved screen supers for handling and looks and cheap parts

Sadly, yu dont get too much of a beetle under $4k that is worth buying these days

Futue te ipsum!!!

Go To Top