Author: Subject:  Low Light Question
Memberchickenfillet
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 49

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on September 29th, 2008 at 01:55 PM
Low Light Question

Hi Guys,

I am looking at a '68 low light this week and wanted to know if there are any areas I should be paying close attention to? I have had a KG for a few years but never a Kombi so would appreciate to crash course in where they rust, wear or any parts that are hard to source etc.

Also what is the 'real' value of a decent condition low light, I know a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay but a rough guide would be great.

Cheers,
Kevin
MemberWarrenm
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 98

Mood: Cruising & Happy

posted on September 29th, 2008 at 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chickenfillet
Hi Guys,

I am looking at a '68 low light this week and wanted to know if there are any areas I should be paying close attention to? I have had a KG for a few years but never a Kombi so would appreciate to crash course in where they rust, wear or any parts that are hard to source etc.

Also what is the 'real' value of a decent condition low light, I know a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay but a rough guide would be great.

Cheers,
Kevin

Front floor, front panel behind bumper, both inner and outer, around windscreen- similar most Kombis.
As to price depends on model-bus , de luxe , poptop etc
Previous history and service would be a good guide.
Which State do you live?

Memberchickenfillet

posted on September 30th, 2008 at 08:33 AM

Hi Warren,

Thanks for those tips, it is a 8 seater standard bus, standard roof. It has no history file but the seller is saying that the first owner had it for 2 years, the next for 35 and then he has had it for another 5, but there is not one bit of paperwork to back it up.

I am in NSW and will be checking it out this weekend, if anyone has any other areas to look into or wants to throw a rough valuation around. As a brief description it has flat original paint, very good condition deep red interior and a bit of rust around the windows.

Thanks again,
Kevin
MemberOberonViking
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 32

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White
Mood: Still thinking about my kombis

posted on October 2nd, 2008 at 08:47 AM

don't forget the battery tray, where the middle and rear seats bolt to the floor, and where the front of the middle floor section meets the front wheel arch.

I have stripped my 79 8 seater (Microbus) right back, and I have not had any trouble sourcing parts. In fact, as far as restoration of vintage vehicles go, the VW scene is fantastic for getting parts.

Search these three forums for buying guides (listed in no particular order)
http://thekombikonnection.myfreeforum.org/index.php 
http://forums.kombiclub.com/index.php 
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/index.php  - this one is USA, but still very good.
I'd also suggest joining each of these as well as AVD, and http://lowlight.com.au//YaBB.pl  as well. I check in on each of these regularly.

Pricing? Hard to say... I paid $9000 for mine, and it had some small, very minor rust problems. Otherwise, it is very straight, in very good original condition with the engine and gearbox reconditioned 5000km ago. Perhaps I spent too much because I have stripped it right back to repaint it, and will be getting the interior reupholstered.

If I were to spend more than (roughly) $4000 I'd want a reconditioned engine and very little rust on a straight body. Of course, some of the worst rust problems for me were underneath the window rubbers where you can't see them, or behind the door seal rubbers. Be aware that many insurance companies list the market value at less than $2000.

Rust around the windows can be difficult to repair. I know a few suppliers (such as thebusstop.com) sell replacement window sill parts, and panel beaters will charge for a lot of hours labour to get it done properly. I was lucky, only very small holes and minor pitting, and the window rubbers are good enough to reuse.

I'd take a good torch and spend a bit of time under the bus, and with my head in the engine bay - even if only to look like you know what you're looking for ;) Check the oil - I've walked away from a few cars based on there being no oil at all in it. With air-cooled VW's it is even more important.

1970 Baja - waiting in the paddock for some TLC.
MemberOberonViking
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 32

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White
Mood: Still thinking about my kombis

posted on October 2nd, 2008 at 08:49 AM

oh, and keep asking questions. We all love our kombis and will happily talk about them for hours. And we'll wave to you just because you've bought a kombi - they attract the right sort of people. I'm in Oberon (near Bathurst) if that is of any help to you...

1970 Baja - waiting in the paddock for some TLC.
Memberchickenfillet

posted on October 2nd, 2008 at 12:01 PM

Cheers Guys,

That was the kind of money I was thinking, fingers crossed it is OK in the rust department.

I'll post some pics if it follows me home on Sunday.

Kevin
MemberCalcool
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 196

Mood: Going Shopping in my Trolley

posted on October 2nd, 2008 at 07:29 PM

Post Pics even if you don't buy it, it may be someone elses ideal project.

I am interetsed in the interior if you are going to get it reuppolstered, I have a red interior in my 69 Kombi too, it has a few trims that could do with a touch up.

Check the steering too as these are very costly to fix in parts and labour.

Make sure all the electrics work, it can be a good barganing point and if it all works it is better for your rego check. Does it have Rego?

Gear stick usually always feels like a Paddle Pop Stick in yogurt but is not that hard or expensive to fix, but can be a good bargaining point also.

It should have 4 wheel drum brakes, not the best in todays road conditions.

Cheers,

David

0434 58 22 64

Go To Top