Memberdam0_is
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 1

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on October 14th, 2008 at 04:11 PM
General help greatly appreciated

G'day Everyone,

I've been floating around the forum, reading up on things, for a few months now and have finally decided to look into investing in a off road bug.

Now, I was prompted by Daniel's (jedidan) chassis up for sale in the trading area so thats where my questions have stemmed from.

So, I've got a few very general questions regarding building up VW Dune Bug I'm hoping someone, or everyone :blush:, might be able to help me with.

Recently I've been looking around on the internet for a complete, second hand, built up, road registered dune buggy, they seem to come in at roughly $16-20 grand for a decent one.
A certain website I've come across offers new basic turn key buggies for $15 grand ( http://www.beachbuggy.com.au/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=231 ).

What I'd really like to do is build up a buggy, using a Sharpbuilt body, and looking at doing it cheaply (sub $15 grand, the closer to $10k the better) I'd be happy to source parts second hand and do some work myself.

Now, having said that, I've got next to no mechanical experience when it comes to cars, so I'd be looking at somewhere like Custom Vee Dub at Stafford to do all the major welding/body work, and eventually someone to put an engine in the thing.

So, am I dreaming and staring down a long hard expensive road or do you think this is an achievable target? And how much do you estimate it would cost from the rolling chasis Daniel's got up for sale?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks in advance for your time, and my apologies for such a bunch on newbie questions.

Cheers,
Damien
Memberratbug
A.k.a.: Andrew Todd
Wolfsburg Wizard
aka toddy101

Threads: 30

posted on October 14th, 2008 at 04:40 PM

Hi Damien,

When I first started wanted a buggy I was a poor uni student with not too much spare cash, and had never touched a VW before, although I did have a bit of mechanical knowledge from previous cars that i had done up and was studying engineering which kinda helped.

Anyway, that is how I came across the Rat Buggy, it was cheap, was all in bits (plus bits missing), had sort of been attempted at being built by what could have been a few previous owners. I had to buy a few new things and do a fair bit of work to get it on the road. I think it ended up costing about 6grand all up initiially. One thing I found great about VW's is they are easy to work on, even for someone who hasn't had mechanical experience. All you need is a workshop manual and the buggy bible, and that should get you through a lot of it.

I could be wrong, but believe the BBA for $15 grand, require a working doner car that you have to supply. They supply all the new bits for the buggy (body, rollbar etc) and fit it all up to do the conversion.

Sharbuilt Beach buggy with Subaru 2L Turbo
Thunderanch Riot with Subaru 2L Turbo
Manxter with FA20turbo
Click here for wiring looms
MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

Threads: 94

Mood: Content

posted on October 14th, 2008 at 04:43 PM

Hi and welcome.

I think you should keep trying to buy something second hand.

Building one from scratch is hard. Getting someone else to do it would be expensive. Custom Vee Dub will be able to tell you the price for them to do all the work will be more than a second hand buggy. The really painful (and slow) part of building a new buggy is getting it approved with the department of transport. Even when you do everything right they take forever to process the paperwork.

Wes - www.offroadvw.net - 200HP Quad Cam V6 in a VW Baja - with climate control... :)
www.taylorcycles.com.au - My DH MTB racing brothers shop.
Membersubisupa
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 46

posted on October 15th, 2008 at 01:49 PM

I agree with wes, I have been building my supa sports for 12 months now keeping it under 10 grand when only starting for a pan will be extremely hard if you want some one to do the work for you. All the major compontents e.g Pan, Body, engine and box for a decent reliable set up at least $6000. So add all the rest rims tyres fuel brakes etc etc and hours and hours of labor $10 000 will be gone in a heart beat.

Keep looking for a second hand item you should score a decent VW powered buggy for under 10g it may not be manx but probably more like a kalita or J & S.

I think there is a kalita on egay at the moment starting at $5 000

good luck and good hunting
Memberratbug
A.k.a.: Andrew Todd
Wolfsburg Wizard
aka toddy101

Threads: 30

posted on October 15th, 2008 at 04:43 PM

My buggy will be for sale very shortly.
Is a got a subaru EJ20 quad cam engine in it. Microtec engine computer
IRS, 4 wheels disc brakes, ford wheels, kombi gearbox+cv's. List goes on.
Havn't decided on price yet, but it'd be less than $15,000.

Sharbuilt Beach buggy with Subaru 2L Turbo
Thunderanch Riot with Subaru 2L Turbo
Manxter with FA20turbo
Click here for wiring looms
Memberdam0_is
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

posted on October 15th, 2008 at 05:14 PM

Thanks for the help guys.
After reading your comments and more consideration, I don't think I've got the time, nor financial backing to undertake a buggy project of my own (for the time being...maybe in a few years after I've finished off uni).

So I'll keep scoping out a finished up buggy.
And ratbug, I'd definately be interested in having a look at yours. I assume its currently NSW registered?

Both in regards to the ratbug, and another NSW buggie I saw on carsales...I know in terms of other modified cars, particularly imports and the crazy things kids are doing to them these days, there are differences between QLD and NSW transport rules, any comments on how easily I'd get the rego transferred over to Qld???

Greatly appreciated everyone!:starhit:
And ratbug, definately keep me posted on when you'd be keen to put it on the market. When I've posted enough in the forums to send a PM I'll shoot you through my contact details. Cheers.
MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

Threads: 94

Mood: Content

posted on October 15th, 2008 at 09:48 PM

If it's approved in NSW, then getting it transferred to QLD shouldn't be an issue.

Wes - www.offroadvw.net - 200HP Quad Cam V6 in a VW Baja - with climate control... :)
www.taylorcycles.com.au - My DH MTB racing brothers shop.
Memberhellbugged
A.k.a.: Daimo Pell
23 Windows of Awesome
48's and straight cuts

Threads: 116

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Blue
Mood: Couldn't care less

posted on October 15th, 2008 at 09:56 PM

saw a LWB sharp built buggy down here the other day, locally owned. for sale for $17500

2005 build with engineers/compliance for both QLD and NSW, 2L type 4 motor sharbuilt fan, body lift, detailed pan etc etc etc.........looked nice and clean

took some pics and details..... (but do you think i can find them!)..... could have a second look if anyone is interested

found them!..........

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.
Memberdam0_is
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

posted on October 19th, 2008 at 03:18 PM

Cheers Baja Wes for the info; and, Hellbugged for the info on that car!

Ta
Memberdam0_is
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

posted on March 18th, 2010 at 01:38 PM

Well, two years on and having no real change to my original situation I'm again looking around at a Sharpbuilt or similar, LWB buggy.
If anyone spots anything around like that one hellbugged found above feel free to post in this thread.

Cheers,
Damien

Go To Top