Membersubisupa
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 46

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on October 15th, 2008 at 09:41 PM
Need engiine help to get to fraser

Guys

After the second engine in Matts buggy pissing water out of between the head and tappet cover. Which is strange because the engine runs like a dream and the water is clean as clean coming out. Engine ran then over heated so no good.
(any suggestions on this issue post away)

BUT the real issue is we have to get the bear going with the 1800 type 4 engine. So help me out here.

Engine in, had to take the mech pump off because it hit the horns so i put on a elec pump at 4psi it pushes fuel pas the needle and seat and into the carby not good there but a reg should fix it I hope.

Next when it runs at about 3000 rpm seems to run ok but then starts back firing out the carbs and exhaust now do you think this is just over fueling or the timing? I used a light when it was runing as it idles down before dieing the marks line up and at revs there is a white mark with adv on the pulley and it lines up with that. That sound right??

Suggestions greatly appreciated if not we will be there in a 4wd not my idea of a buggy trip

as you can tell a bit frantic at the moment all help is good help
MemberMickH
A.k.a.: Michael Hutchinson
Bishop of Volkswagenism
Hairy Gutted Sloth

Threads: 29

Mood: Grow a brain...walls don't hit back...

posted on October 15th, 2008 at 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by subisupa
Guys

After the second engine in Matts buggy pissing water out of between the head and tappet cover. Which is strange because the engine runs like a dream and the water is clean as clean coming out. Engine ran then over heated so no good.
(any suggestions on this issue post away)

BUT the real issue is we have to get the bear going with the 1800 type 4 engine. So help me out here.

Engine in, had to take the mech pump off because it hit the horns so i put on a elec pump at 4psi it pushes fuel pas the needle and seat and into the carby not good there but a reg should fix it I hope.

Next when it runs at about 3000 rpm seems to run ok but then starts back firing out the carbs and exhaust now do you think this is just over fueling or the timing? I used a light when it was runing as it idles down before dieing the marks line up and at revs there is a white mark with adv on the pulley and it lines up with that. That sound right??

Suggestions greatly appreciated if not we will be there in a 4wd not my idea of a buggy trip

as you can tell a bit frantic at the moment all help is good help

Between the head and the tappet cover or the pistons and the head???? Matts engine would be good to get a head off....you have lotsa spare parts...Replace the head gasket(easy as) then bleed the cooling system up before Matt takes it on the highway!! As for the 1800...what carby do you have on it??? Do you have the correct timing mark plastic thingy on the case to line up the marks on the pulley??? Try retarding the timing and see if that helps,as it would appear it is too far advanced. If you have a single carby on it check the needle and seat to see if it is sealing properly...4 psi shouldn't leak...well mine never did anyway..but for now I would retard the timing to see if that helps.Sounds like it's advancing too far.Is it a 009 or original??? HTH....

tssnq.com.au
MemberBrad
Wolfsburg Elder

No Avatar

Threads: 332

Mood: Manx Buggy Building

posted on October 16th, 2008 at 01:24 AM

um if the needle and seat are leaking it isn't any suprise it is running like crap it will be over fueling like there is no tommorrow.

Stock twin carbs should take 4 psi no issues at all, how do you know it is 4 psi ?

As for the EJ, define pissing out ? There ain't much up there to allow water to piss out if it still runs ok. I would be having a closser look at where the water is coming from, I have seen them with cracked heater return pipes piss water out.

What head ? Front or back ? post some pics of it running and water pissing out ?

Putting a POS 1800 VW engine in it ain't a real good way of fixing it. Fixing the EJ will prob be quicker, BUT by the sounds of it you already have the EJ out and kombi in.

Brad
Why copy when you can own an original ?
Meyers Manx Australia
MemberDubCrazy
A.k.a.: steff
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 145

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: painting anything in front of me

posted on October 16th, 2008 at 03:54 AM

the kombi donks going into the "bear" glens baja while the EJ is in maties buggie. The bear is there back up plan incase they cant get the buggie with the EJ working properly

steff.................

Life with out a v-dub is no life at all!!!!!
Membermattie182
Wolfsburg Wizard

No Avatar

Threads: 108

Mood: Buggy On

posted on October 16th, 2008 at 07:25 AM

we put the front up, and bled the cooling system.
After is was all good, shut the engine down, and was getting ready to do for a drive.
There was water coming coming out all three of the tappet cover bolts. When we pulled the tappet cover off, there was water sitting on the inside?????

confused, I am!!!!!!!!

Once you go flat, you never go back!!!!!!
http://www.offroadvw.net/buggybrad/Matt.gif
Membersubisupa
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

posted on October 16th, 2008 at 07:52 AM

Yeah thats it,

I still don't see how the water is comiing out of the tappet bolts but not oil, the water is clean. As for how much turn a tap on so it runs solid just after the drippng stage thats about what is running out of the bottom between the tappet cover and the heads...... but only a small amout of coolant in the tappet cover not a heap of water like you would think. It must be coming from somewhere else. must be.

It once the engine was warm and the water system bleed. Cracked heater line hummm.

Brad, yeah I got a 4psi solid state pump from work but I have a funny feeling it may be up to 6 psi.
1800 has standard twin carbs and electronic 009
MemberMickH
Bishop of Volkswagenism
Hairy Gutted Sloth

posted on October 16th, 2008 at 09:09 AM

So there would be water in the oil if it ws an internal leak...or as Brad suggested an external leak running down the tappet cover??... Check valves on the 1800 (clearances) and set the timing to about 29 1/2 total advance. You can check to see if overfueling is the problem by running the engine and when it starts to cough and fart,clamp the fuel line from the pump closed and see if the problem goes away.

tssnq.com.au
Membersubisupa
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

posted on October 16th, 2008 at 03:42 PM

First, Right on the money with external leak, seems someone when installing the engine may not have tightened the clamp up on the throttle body heating line so EJ is in and running no leaks last drama is no water temp guage so will have to keep an eye on the temp.

I laid in bed all night thinking of where the water could be coming from. Mind is at rest now.

Back to the bear, fuel reg is on and working seems one carby has a sticky needle and seat bit of a tap and it closes right up.
Still back fires like a bitch. Where the timing mark on the fan surrond there is a notch then a drawn on white line with TDC on it. Is the notch suppsed to be the advanced mark?? Next there is a notch on the back of the pulley and a groove on the front of the pulley which is the right mark there?

I will post some pics later this arvo.

Thanks all for your help
See some of you on Saturday
MemberMickH
Bishop of Volkswagenism
Hairy Gutted Sloth

posted on October 16th, 2008 at 04:34 PM

Hmm can't comment on all your notches as they would have to be seen!! The marks on the back of the pulley are the ones to use,but as to what order/how to tell what is what without the correct timing marks is anyones guess......can you retard the timing untill it doesn't play up or get ther proper guage offa nother Kombi to do the timing???? Good to see you got the EJ sorted...:yes:

tssnq.com.au

Go To Top