Author: Subject: Bug In and Nationals AGAIN - timing
Membersplitbusaustralia
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 65

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

mad.gif posted on September 20th, 2002 at 07:53 PM
Bug In and Nationals AGAIN - timing

Well,

Just got the latest Newslatter from the VW Club of Vic and there's a bit of a write up on the 2003 Bug In. Easter weekend, country NSW. Obviously still clashing with and completely separate from the Nationals.......so next year we have 2 of the major VW events in Aus occurring on the same weekend on an uncoordinated basis in geographically separated places in the SAME State! Sux or what?

When is this gonna be fixed? One club or another is gonna have to be big enough to change surely? Given the effect weather has on these things I would suggest either event would still do OK if held on one of the long weekends in Jan/Feb.

DOVW (vic) in November, Bug In or Nationals in Jan/Feb, Bug In or Nationals at Easter, Nambucca Heads May/June every 2nd year - it'd work and stop us stuffing each other up!

If they clash I'm primarily a Nationals man - I'm personally prefer the drags (rather than a motorkhana) followed by show'n'shine and swap format. BUT IF THEY DIDN'T CLASH I'D GO TO BOTH - C'mon we've got to be bigger than this! Perhaps the contenders could meet and toss a coin?

Perhaps vw lovers should threaten to boycott both events until this is sorted out?

RobK
Super Moderatorkombi_kid
Super Moderator
Good Kid too many projects

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 341

posted on September 20th, 2002 at 08:34 PM

i thought BUG In was on saturday and Nationals on sunday BUG IN is at the hawkesberry(spelling) not to far from sydney so it wouldnt a hassle of course but i think the drags will be missed? insurance and shit is a problem aint it? i heard people with there CAMS licence where the only ones allowed to drag?
just heard it through a pipeline
cheers
rhys
Super ModeratorBUGBOY
Super Moderator
Chief Toy Dude / Head Cruiser

Rank Avatar

Threads: 403

Mood: A wise German once said

posted on September 20th, 2002 at 09:56 PM
National Bug In

Well for those of you interested the VW CRUISES are going up to NSW to go to both events , we might also run a night cruise.
Its all on the drawing board at the moment but it`s a sure thing.
Details will be posted as the time gets near.
:o

Everything 36HP !
Change over king and link spindles
6-12volt semaphores
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/BUGBOY1976/13349829.gif
Find us on Facebook
Memberamazer
Bishop of Volkswagenism
kombi pilot

Threads: 308

Mood: Peachy!

posted on September 22nd, 2002 at 05:43 PM

kombi kid
Anyone with a road licence can run at the drags. CAMS have nothing to do with drags. They come under ANDRA's powers. Some tracks I have been to ask for an ANDRA licence but not at Oran Park... yet.

These arent licenses you need a test for either, just pay for your bit of paper. Just another tax we sometimes have to pay if we want to play.

Chris.... kombi pilot, oval dreamer... finisher #26971 2005 city to surf
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~amazer39/vwsigline.jpg
Membertoplessbug
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 128

Mood: waiting for my lotto win

posted on September 22nd, 2002 at 08:25 PM
COCKUP EXTROARDINAIRE

Just how big is the VW scene in Australia?
Can we afford to aileniate half of the drivers by running two separate events on the same weekend a few miles apart?For christ sake (and VW)why cant you people in NSW check your egos and make one truly memorable event instead of asking us to choose between the two factions.I asked this question on the forum some months ago and recieved no replys from either club and now you have forged ahead and continued to make plans to run the events separatly.When are the politics and the cashflows going to be put aside for the good of all .I am eagerly waiting a reply on this public forum for all to read that will go some way to explaining this utter BALLS UP
Membertoplessbug
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 128

Mood: waiting for my lotto win

posted on September 24th, 2002 at 09:55 PM
re the COCKUP

Well isnt it amazing something as controversial as 2 events on the same weekend in the same place (nearly) AND NOT ONE REPLY FROM ANYBODY
c"mon whats wrong why are we having 2 separate events for the same people in the same state only a half a day drive separating them? Does anybody from the clubs involved have anything to say?
Memberzayus
A.k.a.: Bryce
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 26

posted on September 24th, 2002 at 10:52 PM

Hey Hey All

This is totally insane!!! Two of the biggest national VW events held in Sydney on the same weekend at different venues.

I have always thought the holding the the Nationals and Bug In on the same weekend to be detrimental to our scene. Even if the shows are in different states. It has usually meant that best cars in NSW will not be seen at Bug In. Vise versa, in NSW, we miss the oppurtunity to see the best VW's from the state that Bug In is held in. What a waste!!

Finally both Bug In and the Nationals are being held at the same time in the same state. What an excellent oppurtunity for the best VWs from around Australia to be seen at the one venue. Come on, let's make the Easter long weekend of 2003 a truly memorable VW event. Combine the Nationals & Bug In.

Zayus
MemberBugged Again
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 46

Mood: beetle-less

posted on September 24th, 2002 at 11:07 PM

We don't seem to have the same problem up here in Queensland. All the events are staged nicely spread throughout the year. It gives you something to look forward to allll year round.

Egos and politics should be left out of something that is meant to be fun and community orientated.

if you change their dates make sure they don't clash with Valla, on again in June me thinks
Super Administratorvw54
Super Administrator
Always Waiting 4 Friday

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 378

Mood: Oval resto ongoing

posted on September 25th, 2002 at 07:05 AM

Well if you had of read the previous posts on this subject, you would see that i did try to combine the 2 events about 12 months ago long before the time schedule etc etc but i am still waiting for a reply to my proposal from VWCNSW, but it appears that it was rejected since they decided to run the Bug Inn anway.

The programs are a stagered so people can go in either event at their choice.

No one if forcing anyone to do or attend either show the choice is yours.

Memberpaulr
Officially Full-On Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 103

posted on September 25th, 2002 at 08:37 AM

Without prior knowledge of the history of these events it would seem that peoples egos and politics are getting in the way of "growing" the Australian VW scene. Australia is not big enough, or it would seem grown up enough to support this type of behaviour.

Dazed and Confused
and riding a pushi
Membersplitbusaustralia
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 65

posted on September 25th, 2002 at 10:22 AM

Well,

I do remember those emails and Dave is a bit annoyed and justifiably so - he did do the consultative thing. ..

But the problem remains (for whatever reason).

I don't know about the staggered event thing either- anyone who wants to participate in either show'n'shine (bug In sat, nationals Sun) is going be there most of the day and miss the other events drags (Nationals sat) or gymkhana (Bug In Sun).

The problem doesn't ease when the events are in different States either. If I'm in Vic and the Bug In is in SA and the Nationals are on in Sydney at Easter where do I go? - probably the Nats...but I would go to the Bug In and have a few days in SA if I could.

Club VeeDub organises the Nationals and the Bug In moves from club to club.

Would there be any reason why the club hosting next years Bug In (QLD?) couldn't make a unilateral decision to move the event and set a precedent for a shift of date? (to a long weekend in Jan/Feb?)...

Is someone clever enough to arrange one of those poll things on this? Perhaps two general questions - would you like to see the Bug In and the Nationals take place on different dates? Would you attend both events if they were held on different dates....

Because really, I think the end result at the moment is that each event is missing out on VW people who would otherwise go..............
Member11CAB
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber
If ya got it....Baja it

Threads: 321

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: Beach'n

posted on September 25th, 2002 at 05:45 PM

I suppose it really depends on what your going there for. If you want to enter the show'n'shine, by the looks of it you can do so at both events. If you want to go and just have a general look around it also seems you go go to both events.

Depending on distance between events. Both are two day events and are both held in the same city.(sort of). It is really bad timing but if you cant fix the problem for 2003 why not work on it for 2004.

65 Meyers Manx
68 Country Buggy (KO 367)
68 Country Buggy (KO 669)
68 Country Buggy (KO 789)
68 Country Buggy (KO 815)
68 Baja Bug
76 Baja Kombi Twincab
Membervdbleu2002
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 40

posted on September 26th, 2002 at 10:17 PM

Well I can't sell parts at both but I will go to both. VW shows are too infrequent to miss any.:thumb

Go To Top