Author: Subject:  help with bus
Membernoddy
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 4

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue

posted on December 26th, 2008 at 08:42 PM
help with bus

hi guys and girls only new to vws and have the bug!and saving on water too! just bought 1977 vw transporter?need a little help will need a new motor i think 2.0 litre, eng no CJO44636 or is a re build the way to go? will also need to pull front, side door and rear window seals out for rust reco,may need new windscreen, will ring windscreen company,i think? also left hand side slide door will need to come off what is best way,so many on the road great to see:

?
Memberbushed
Wolfsburg Elder

No Avatar

Threads: 66

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on December 26th, 2008 at 09:09 PM

you may wanna try the Kombi Club for more responses re busses.
enjoy

want any vw bits old but like me, Made in Germany!!!
Membermodulus
A.k.a.: Peter Hill
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 76

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White
Mood: modular

posted on December 26th, 2008 at 11:38 PM

Hi noddy,
Welcome to the forum!

Your engine number identifies as a post Dec. 1975 2 litre (which makes sense). I'm not aware of new engines being available, but as a full rebuild often involves replacement of the pistons and cylinder barrels, the difference between rebuilt and new is pretty small. I had my 2 litre fuly rebuilt about 2 years ago, which cost me about $4500, including new pistons and cylinders, heads, cam, clutch and remove/replace labour.

New glass rubbers for any that have perished are readily available. New windscreens run about $150+ including fitting from the major suppliers. Mine was fitted (expertly) in my driveway for $150, but that was a few years ago.

I don't know anything about sliding doors, as my double-cab doesn't have one....

There is plenty of expertise and experience available on this (and other) forums, so ask away and you'll get good advice, especially when the silly season winds up. Yuo might want to add you location to your profile so that advice can be more geo-specific.

hth

Peter Hill
1975 Type 2 Double Cab
modulus.com.au
MemberWarrenm
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 98

Mood: Cruising & Happy

posted on December 27th, 2008 at 10:21 AM

HI,
Hope you enjoy your new bus-as modulus said let everybody know where you are and you will get more help and advice
Lots of info on here for Kombi owners
http://www.kombikonnection.com 

-----------------------

Membernoddy
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 4

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue

posted on December 27th, 2008 at 06:44 PM

thanks guys,im in werribee victoria,will try kombi club, hopefully going to portland in feb sounds like a good weekend will try and get bus to tour DOWN UNDER and back,have faith in him, her?undecided on name!any suggestions,
MembermnsKmobi
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 27

posted on January 6th, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by noddy
hi guys and girls only new to vws and have the bug!and saving on water too! just bought 1977 vw transporter?need a little help will need a new motor i think 2.0 litre, eng no CJO44636 or is a re build the way to go? will also need to pull front, side door and rear window seals out for rust reco,may need new windscreen, will ring windscreen company,i think? also left hand side slide door will need to come off what is best way,so many on the road great to see:

?

Before you dive into the engine rebuild what makes you think it needs to be done? Low compression? Burning oil?

If you want to drive it in the mean time, I would replace any essential rubber bits: brake hoses, fuel lines, vacuum hoses. Change the brake fluid while you're there and check for leaks in the calipers and wheel cylinders. You could also check for torn cv or suspension boots and clean up the battery connections and the point where the ground strap connects and the +ve lead joins the solenoid.

I lived in Werribee last year. There were a couple of fellow bus drivers around. :spin::spin::spin:
MemberRagerty
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 41

posted on January 21st, 2009 at 12:33 PM

Fella,

Give Eddie a ring..tell him Steve sent ya - 0260 267 401 he will be able to find you all sorts of things and I believe he has a 2 ltr motor waiting for a call ;)

Airbrush paintwork in wodonga http://www.creativ-air.com 

Go To Top