Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 1097 | Total Replies: 22 | Thread Id: 73957 ]
Author: Subject:  1st bug for daily driver?
Membermickmick
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 17

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Grey

posted on January 10th, 2009 at 12:54 PM
1st bug for daily driver?

Hi guys, i'm new to the bug scene but i'm looking at getting one as a daily driver. We do roughly 20 000km a year so reliability and a bit of comfort is high on the list. I figured i'd spend about $7k as most in this region look pretty good with most of the work done. I see that some have WRX seats in them, are there any problems with rego or anything like that as i'm pretty sure these would be more comfortable to sit in. Also is there 1 particular engine that is better than the others or one to avoid. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Now taking donations to help make a Beetle healthy again :lol:
Member68AutoBug
A.k.a.: Lee Noonan
Aircooled Master
Beetle Restorer - Experience over 138% - YIKES --

Threads: 449

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: Really Mentally Ill - all of the time -

info.gif posted on January 10th, 2009 at 02:05 PM

there was a very rare 1976 Fuel Injected air conditioned beetle on ebay last week...

I don't think it sold...

were asking $6,800 or bids...

but wanted around $5500 for it...

One lady owner.. she's in Sydney..

Nice inside and out ... Last year of the beetle in Australia

If I had the money and somewhere to park it....

LEE

She called it a superbug but they were made from 1971-72 VW model years - 1302S..

- [size=4]Helping keep Air Cooled VWs on the road - location: SCONE in the Upper Hunter Valley - Northern NSW 320 kms NNW of SYDNEY--- [/size]
Member68AutoBug
A.k.a.: Lee Noonan
Aircooled Master
Beetle Restorer - Experience over 138% - YIKES --

Threads: 449

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: Really Mentally Ill - all of the time -

posted on January 10th, 2009 at 02:06 PM

You had better put where Bangor is too...

in Your profile.... NSW QLD WA SA NT VIC ???

LEE

it does help

- [size=4]Helping keep Air Cooled VWs on the road - location: SCONE in the Upper Hunter Valley - Northern NSW 320 kms NNW of SYDNEY--- [/size]
Membermickmick
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on January 10th, 2009 at 05:48 PM

Thanks Lee,
A friend didn't recommend a bug because of some overheating issue in hot summer days, is there any truth to this?
Also Lee i noticed on your photos the air-con. Have you fitted it yet and does it work alright also how much would it cost to install ac in a beetle in Sydney?
Sorry about all the ?'s but just want to make sure a bug would be a good thing for me. I'm sure it would be ok. :blush:

MemberVWCOOL
23 Windows of Awesome

No Avatar

Threads: 235

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: happy to help

posted on January 10th, 2009 at 09:11 PM

any Bug from around 1971 onwards will be a nice daily driver. All other things being equal - and assuming the car is in good condition and repair - the younger the better as VW really refined the design in the 1970s

Pay your debts, CxxT
Membermickmick
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on January 11th, 2009 at 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by VWCOOL
any Bug from around 1971 onwards will be a nice daily driver. All other things being equal - and assuming the car is in good condition and repair - the younger the better as VW really refined the design in the 1970s

Why are the 71 onwards the better bet? What is the difference or did you mean anything older than a 71?

MemberVWCOOL
23 Windows of Awesome

No Avatar

Threads: 235

Mood: happy to help

posted on January 11th, 2009 at 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mickmick
Quote:
Originally posted by VWCOOL

Why are the 71 onwards the better bet? What is the difference or did you mean anything older than a 71?

Better: engine, seats, suspension, interior ventilation/heating etc compared to 68-70 and especially pre-68 models

Pay your debts, CxxT
Membergreasykitchen
A.k.a.: Stephen
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 13

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: PhD recovery

posted on January 11th, 2009 at 01:21 PM

For a daily driver I would suggest a '71 or '72 Superbug (1302) or '73-'75 L Bug (1303) and the '76 - these are the most 'modern' - more powerful engines, better suspension, disc brakes, better features (even a dashboard on the Ls with the rounded windscreen!). There were also 1300 standard bugs in that era without most of the 'modern' improvements.

Do a search for some info on supers and the difference between them and 1300s. There's a few thread - here's one to start with http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=72544#pid676846 

Hope this helps.

Good luck with your search. Being prepared to spend a bit of money for one is half the battle as you tend to get what you pay for.

Cheers
:)

'76 Golf
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh297/greasykitchen/DOVW09/P3291472_crop_resize.jpg
Membermickmick
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on January 11th, 2009 at 05:52 PM

Thanks for all the ideas guys, learning alot more then i knew now. I'm looking at this car http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200296993871  even though it isn't a super i think it looks good and has a bigger engine than stock. I'll reserve judgement untill a see and drive it though. If not then plenty of supers to check out also.

Super Administratorbarls
A.k.a.: Mr indestructible
Super Administrator
Causer of Chaos and Mayhem

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 295

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2
Mood: indestructible? and listening to the voices

posted on January 11th, 2009 at 06:11 PM

that belongs to a member on here so good luck.

“We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.” Bill Hicks
the chaos project - click me

http://www.goats.com/store/images/banner_destroy.png
MemberCamo
A.k.a.: Kev
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 209

posted on January 11th, 2009 at 07:33 PM

mickmcik,

here ya gogo.

Click her for superbug 4 sale

Kev

I thought rebuilding a VW would be cheap - Shit I was wrong, just don't let the wife know !!!!

Click here for my (slowy) modded 1961 Beetle build.
Memberkombimatt
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 40

Mood: Fast

posted on January 11th, 2009 at 07:55 PM

Or try this one

http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?t=19026 

You may have to sign in to see this in the for sale section but looks a good buy!

Matt
Lovin' the Dubs
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r213/kombimatt/Freda/0719081615-00-1-1.jpghttp://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r213/kombimatt/Fastback/100_3297-1.jpg
Membermickmick
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on January 12th, 2009 at 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Camo
mickmcik,

here ya gogo.

Click her for superbug 4 sale

Kev

Thanks Camo, there's another super up at the northern beaches area so i'll try to organise something. Not sure how easy the regas will be on the ac?

Membermickmick
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on January 12th, 2009 at 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kombimatt
Or try this one

http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?t=19026 

You may have to sign in to see this in the for sale section but looks a good buy!

Thats a long way to drive or fly to see a bug. I might stick to NSW for now anyway but thanks Matt.

MemberMick058
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 109

posted on January 12th, 2009 at 10:23 AM

Hey Mick - i had a 69 as a daily driver, it was great! But the others are right, later models are better, though depends if your after a look too. Google the different models and see what you like.
MY inlaws are at Bangor, look out for me, im in the dark green bug...you'll hear me coming!

Memberchrisalchin
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 5

posted on January 12th, 2009 at 02:37 PM

Hey dude, im also new to the bug scene, after having hi-po hot rods and muscle cars since i was a teenager. I recently bought a 1964 bug in below adverage condition from canberra, it cost me $2600 and ive spent another 2-3G getting it through NSW rego and lowering it and a just generally making it my own. Please dont exclude pre-68 cars from your search, although yes, the later models maybe more modern, but its the early models that really look the goods and have that old school charm. That Black 1956 oval window your looking at is exceptional. If i was in the market for a bug i would buy that in a second. Also the beuty of the early bugs is there simplicity. So far the most expensive thing iv'e had to buy for my bug was a voltage regulator ($88 inc installation) like i said my 64 rat bug is as reliable as they come (touch wood) looks unreal and above all is fun to drive. Due respect but to me the post 68, and especially post 70 beetles just lost there charm,

OLD SKOOL IS KOOL
Membermickmick
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on January 13th, 2009 at 08:32 AM

Don't worry chrisalchin, i'm havn't excluded the earlier bugs. I do think that they have "the look" so to speak. I guess i'll just need to get roof racks if we go on any holidays :lol: Surely you must get some kind of heat from the heater? Thats one of my girlfriends musts but even she like the older ones so we'll see what happens. Looking at the black BAD 56 today so i'm excited. What does a narrowed front end do by the way? Asked i the tech forum but got no answer.
Thanks

Memberchrisalchin
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 5

posted on January 13th, 2009 at 10:28 PM

To be honest, my heater tubes arnt even connected, when it gets cold ill rug up in trackies. a narrowed front end (or narrowed front beam - also usually adjustable) is essentially narrow's the front wheel track, brings the wheels in closer to the body to give it that "tucked in" look, i haven't seen many beetles in australia with massivly narrowed beams, usualy on 2 inches or so, but there big in the states, the frst narrowed beam beetle i saw was when i was in canada, it was an early 70's model that had a reported 10inches cut out of the front beam, easentially moving each front wheel 5" cloder to the body. needless to say he didnt have much of a turning circle.
Membermickmick
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on January 18th, 2009 at 04:33 PM

Thanks chrisalchin,
I'm not looking anymore as i've just bought this http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT... It has a 1916 engine, discs on the front, quick shift kit, new seals around the windows and nice rims on it. It does have some rust but not much that i found anyway. It was the best one that i drove and the gear shift was very easy, even the girlfriend found it easy. It doesn't have any cool number plates though :(
I hope there are no hidden nasties to be found but i'm feeling good so far. I pick it up on Thursday. Look forward to seeing other members out on the road. :D

MemberPumba
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 255

posted on January 18th, 2009 at 05:12 PM

Nice score,was trying to talk my mate into looking at this but he wouldnt listen to me???Did you have to go much over the reserve$$$ Who built the 1916 cheers shane.

69 Beetle
66 Beetle
56 Beetle
Membermickmick
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on January 19th, 2009 at 05:34 PM

I got it for $5500, he wanted 6k for it. Not sure who built the engine, the reciepts are there so i'll let you know when i pick it up on Thurday. I know that he spent $4600 on engine and various bits on it back in 2006. It drove very nicely. There's a bit a rust next to the accelerator pedal on the wall to the right but it is higher up not near the heater channel so i hope it is cheap and easy to repair. Anyone know a good place near Sutherland that doesn't charge too much for rust removal and a place for servicing it? I not too mechanical but i'm willing to learn. If anyone is doing a service on their beetle and doesn't mind someone trying to help out pm me, i'll do my best. :smilegrin:

Membermickmick
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on February 16th, 2009 at 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vwmad
Nice score,was trying to talk my mate into looking at this but he wouldnt listen to me???Did you have to go much over the reserve$$$ Who built the 1916 cheers shane.

Sorry about the delay, Wayne Penrose built the engine. I'm getting the rust cut out today in the main areas then getting it serviced properly by Vintage Vee Dub just to make sure all is well. Hopefully nothing major needs doing. Its great to drive though,a bit thirsty which was a surprise so thinking its out of tune a bit. Apart from that all smiles.

Membersunnygirl
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 1

Mood: Jolly as ever

posted on February 16th, 2009 at 04:08 PM

How's your search going - for the last 26 years I have driven Beetles of varying years and have to agree that my most recent 1975 L bug is certainly the most comfortable. I also have a 56 Oval, but she is only driven on special occasions and I certainly have to adjust my driving techniques for each vehicle. I have had a 54 Oval, a 71 Beetle as well as a 65 Notch so over the years I can safely say and agree if you want a comfortable air cooled Beetle (as you would) go for a later year and have a wod of cash just in case......

Go To Top