Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 980 | Total Replies: 13 | Thread Id: 75500 ]
Author: Subject:  What changes affect the vintage value of an original Beetle 1970
Memberditomlinson
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 3

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on March 21st, 2009 at 09:51 PM
What changes affect the vintage value of an original Beetle 1970

I have just purchased my first Beetle - a 1970 1500cc original condition - body in excellent condition - always garaged - complete with the original papers

The engine needs major work ie . reconditioning . I am keen to keep this car original so my question is my mechanic is saying he can work with the single port 1500cc engine or go for reconditioning the head of 1600cc twin port and modify the outlet slightly - does this make sense . Does altering the engine in this small way affect the originality or the vintage value of the car?

My other question is the front seats need replacing - if I was to have them reupholstered and add headrests does that affect the ariginality or vintage value ? What if I was to put 72 model higher back seats in instead? And also does adding retractable setbelts to fron instead of fixed belts affect originality / vintage value? And what if I was to put seat belts in the back ? It doesn,t come with seat belts in the back.

Thankyou I am rapt to finally have a beetle - a long held dream and it is the same colour as my parents one they had - moss green.
Member68AutoBug
A.k.a.: Lee Noonan
Aircooled Master
Beetle Restorer - Experience over 138% - YIKES --

Threads: 449

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: Really Mentally Ill - all of the time -

posted on March 21st, 2009 at 10:55 PM

there seems to be thoughts about that,,
either ALL origional or mixed VW parts..

I would change the engine to 1600 twin port
and change the seats or have the original seats reupholstered..

Original Class means original.... how they came out of the factory...

I like to improve on as many things as I can..
in MY 1968 beetle, I have 1600 single port engine- electric fuel pump -fuel pressure regulator- Tachometer -
late model deck lid - non VW carburetor -electronic ignition system - external oil cooler - Alternator - late model seats- alarm system - air horns -

LEE

- [size=4]Helping keep Air Cooled VWs on the road - location: SCONE in the Upper Hunter Valley - Northern NSW 320 kms NNW of SYDNEY--- [/size]
Memberditomlinson
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

posted on March 21st, 2009 at 11:19 PM
Keeping the VW Beetle vintage or original

Thanks Lee for your thoughts and suggestions Cheers
Membercolonel mustard
Son of Jim - Creator of Good

No Avatar

Threads: 51

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Black

posted on March 22nd, 2009 at 12:24 AM

Well obviously anything that wasn't on the car when it came out, makes it un-original. so, swapping to highback seats will make it un-original.... But does practicality win over that? for me it does, because i like to enjoy driving my car. Does safety come over originality? for me yes, so i would add the seatbelts. Is lack of power going to be an issue? go the 1600. On the engine note, you can probs pick up a running 1600 rather than modifying your current engines capacity. you can also buy long block engines (which is just the case, pistons, heads assembled, just need to bold on carbys, ignition ect.)
Membercolonel mustard

No Avatar

posted on March 22nd, 2009 at 12:46 AM

Buy this.... you will be set!!! http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=75471 
Membersquizy
A.k.a.: Paul
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber
Thinking about another dub...maybe

Threads: 243

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue

posted on March 22nd, 2009 at 06:30 AM

First off I'd find another mechanic. If you have single port heads on your 1500, and want to upgrade to dual port heads, you will need to replace both heads. You will also need to replace your manifolds as well for dual port manifolds. You can't replace one side, without replacing the other. Do you know what the problem is that he has to replace the head? Worn valve etc? I'm sure there are cheaper options other than the path he is leading you down.

With everything else you have mention, there are plenty of shops around where you can purchase what you require. You can get new seat covers to replace your current low back covers. Changing over to highback's won't affect value. Neither will by replacing your seatbelts. If you're concerned though, just keep everything that you take off, and put it back on or sell it with the the car.

Sounds like a nice score by the way. Original books are always nice to have.
Memberditomlinson
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

posted on March 22nd, 2009 at 12:19 PM

Thanks guys for your replies. It is a help. The engine has a very loud rumble coming from it - You can hear it near the front of the car when driving but you don't hear it when the engine is idling. My mechanic suspects it is a major issue at the base of the engine . He has a reconditioned engine ready to go and then was commenting about whether we recondition the 1500cc head or go for the more available 1600cc head and then alter the manifolds. I may have lost something in the translation as I am not a mechanic of course and have limited understanding of it all. I am now very keen to keep this car original so I am leaning toward keeping the engine entirely 1500cc so I will discuss this further with my mechanic . Thanks heaps for your advice and for the feedback about the seats too Cheers and thanks Di
Membercolonel mustard

No Avatar

posted on March 22nd, 2009 at 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ditomlinson
Thanks guys for your replies. It is a help. The engine has a very loud rumble coming from it - You can hear it near the front of the car when driving but you don't hear it when the engine is idling. My mechanic suspects it is a major issue at the base of the engine . He has a reconditioned engine ready to go and then was commenting about whether we recondition the 1500cc head or go for the more available 1600cc head and then alter the manifolds. I may have lost something in the translation as I am not a mechanic of course and have limited understanding of it all. I am now very keen to keep this car original so I am leaning toward keeping the engine entirely 1500cc so I will discuss this further with my mechanic . Thanks heaps for your advice and for the feedback about the seats too Cheers and thanks Di

Not trying to be rude, but that makes it seem like you think there is only 1 head.... there is 2. also, they would need to be the same. Do you know if the heads are dual, or single port? Pretty sure you would notice a fairly big difference between a 1500 single and a 1600 dual/twin.

:)
Memberditomlinson
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

posted on March 22nd, 2009 at 01:54 PM

At present it is a 1500cc single port head Cheers Di
Membersquizy
A.k.a.: Paul
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber
Thinking about another dub...maybe

Threads: 243

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue

posted on March 23rd, 2009 at 03:02 PM

When the car is idling what sort of noise does it make? When you rev it, does it make noise as if something is loose in the engine and about to fall off (if anyone can explain the noise of a lose head here, feel free). Da da da da da da noise (sorry ;)).

Hard to diagnose here, but it could be a lose head from pulled head studs. What sort of engine is he offering to swap in for you? If he's offering a 1600, check out his price, and if good, go for the engine swap. Take your 1500 with you, and then you'll always have the original motor as well to learn on and pull down and find the original problem.

Where about's are you located so that we can suggest a mechanic in your area?
Memberditomlinson
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

posted on March 23rd, 2009 at 11:47 PM

Thanks for your reply to my queries. It sounds ok when itis idling and even the mechanic said it seemed ok at idle so he went ahead and serviced it but when you drive it a rumble sound can be heard at the front of the car. My mechanic feels there is a major problem with the bottom end of the engine.

In all of this I am keen to keep this car original as the exterior is in very good condition - flattish paintwork -needs polish but no obvious body rust at all . Car has been garaged almost its entire life.The car is original inside and out apart from needing a replacement front drivers seat as on in it is mix and match. The car comes complete with original purchase documents and service history. The car has been in the one family since new. For these reasons I am keen to not alter it but of course it seems the engine does need attention. It has 130,000 miles on the clock. I am thinking I would like to get the original 1500cc engine in it reconditioned. What do you think?
Memberditomlinson
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

posted on March 23rd, 2009 at 11:49 PM

Forgot to mention. I live near Donnybrook Western Australia. Donnybrook is about 30 mins from Bunbury.
MemberVeeDubua
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 6

posted on April 13th, 2009 at 10:02 PM
interesting

keep going I am learning from this!!
Memberzayus
A.k.a.: Bryce
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 26

posted on July 9th, 2009 at 04:04 PM

Hi Di,

Just read your thread (3 months after it was posted!)

Sounds like you have a great old original Beetle, and it's moss green, and it's like the car your parents had! And it sounds like you want to keep it original.

Di, keep it original. Non-standard seats, a replacement engine etc will have a negative impact on the value of the car.

It seems your 1970 Beetle is matching numbers car. This means your car has the original engine, gearbox, windows, sheet metal (fenders), headlights etc that it came wiith from the factory. A matching numbers VW is more valuable than a Beetle that's had it's engine replaced and the wrong year seats installed.

Keep the original seats, don't replace them with seats from a '72 Beetle. You can buy replacement seat covers and padding that will be an exact match to the original seats.

Keep the 1500, it's the best air-cooled engine VW made!
Don't replace your engine with a re-conditioned twin port 1600, have your 1500 fixed.

Seatbelts are available for the back seat. They can be matched to the front seat belts, and they will look like they came from Wolfsburg in 1970.

Plenty of VW shops advertise on this site, click on a link and look for seat covers & seat belts that meet your requirements, eg: http://www.classicveedub.com.au/ 

Old cars with matching numbers and good originality retain a higher value than non-original cars because they are rare.
And... to many a VW enthusiast, the 1968-1970 Beetle is best model ever made!

Enjoy your moss green 1970 Beetle. :)

Go To Top