Memberdesh
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 82

Theme: UltimaBB Vintage
Mood: 1965 1200 Beetle.

posted on April 3rd, 2009 at 12:47 PM
1976 Mk1 Golf Over heating

Hello

I have a 1976 Mk1 Golf Automatic that for the last month has been giving me grief,

Bit of background car has done 184k's, in the last 2 years I've replaced the radiator with a new unit, due to over heating, the hoses, the water pump, the welsh? spelling? plugs, thermostat. the temp gauge, the circuit board that controls the temp gauge, finally this fixed the over heating problems, in that time the car has traveled maybe 1,000k's at most.

Oh I also once had the heater leak coolant into the passenger side foot well and this was also replaced with a good second hand unit, as you can see I have spent a lot of money on this car to try and keep it cool.

I have other cars so rarely use it,

the last month it has started to get really hot again, nearly reaching the max red part on the temp gauge, on inspection the bottom radiator hose was leaking, replaced the hose with a new unit, was fine again.

Have maybed used it for 100k's since, just to test it and keep an eye on it, well today i was driving it, noticed I was right on the max part of the temp gauge, pulled over, no water in the radiator at all.

Fortunately I always carry a bottle full, started filling it up and the water was pouring out of the hose, in the exact same spot the previous hose had a hole in it, just near the clamp, which is also new when I fitted the hose,

I was only about 4 k's from home, so decided to risk it, pulled the grille out of the front of the car to give it better cooling abilities, and drove home.

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv26/mercedes_benz_classic/Volkswagen%20Golf/P1010141.jpg

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv26/mercedes_benz_classic/Volkswagen%20Golf/P1010142.jpg

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv26/mercedes_benz_classic/Volkswagen%20Golf/P1010143.jpg

Although it may not seem it in the photo the hose is on there as far as it will go.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why my car wants to blow radiator hoses and overheat still?

thank you in advance for any help or advice.

--------------------------
Kind Regards
Des
Member1303Steve
A.k.a.: Steve Carter
Scirocco Rare

Threads: 556

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Parrot Heading

posted on April 3rd, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Hi

Looking at the distortion in the hoses near the clamps, maybe your over tightening them and the clamp is cutting into the hose?

You should always have clamp situated on the hose next to the bump in the fitting, this prevents coolant getting between the hose and fitting and causing corrosion.

Steve
Memberdesh
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on April 3rd, 2009 at 01:12 PM

Steve, thanks, I hadn't considered that, simply tightening the clamp up as tight as it would go.

How tight should it be?

I will get another hose and clamp and retry.

thank you

Kind Regards
Des
Member1303Steve
A.k.a.: Steve Carter
Scirocco Rare

Threads: 556

Mood: Parrot Heading

posted on April 3rd, 2009 at 11:25 PM

Hi

Im sure that there is a torque wrench setting, but just try not to overdo it, also keep checking the clamps will loosen for a few weeks.

Steve
Membercolonel mustard
Son of Jim - Creator of Good

No Avatar

Threads: 51

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Black

posted on April 3rd, 2009 at 11:33 PM

Also... not to be rude or anything. but are you getting the same brand hose each time? try something different. It also looks like its maybe wrong... like on a wierd angle and that it is sucking in on itself... trying getting something stronger or a slightly different shape.... avoid them contacting anything else hot etc. and dont tighten those clamps tooo tight... it will rip the rubber. you can get a different type of clamp (they come on new cars) but you can only use them once. they are harder to use, but are less likely to leak.... they are like a spring clamp.. :) love Mk1s
Memberrustguard
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 10

Mood: always

posted on April 4th, 2009 at 03:35 AM

I think it is just the photo distorting the angle, these hose clamps aren't that strong, on a brand new hose its might be possible to cut into one but the odds of it happening more than that are slim, I always test thermostats first as I have had brand new ones that are faulty, is your thermostatic fan switching in, is the water leaking from around the hose to radiator joint, radiator tanks often develop leaks especially plastic ones though more often on the outlet than inlet. Is the hose a tight fit on the radiator or is the diameter a loose fit, if water is leaking at the hose joint then it is either the wrong diameter hose or it is installed incorectly.
if you are loosing water its no wonder the egine is over heating, it is obviously a good idea to always keep an eye on your gauges and stop the egine. be interesting to know what is up

dak dak dak dak dak dak
Memberdesh
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on April 4th, 2009 at 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by colonel mustard
Also... not to be rude or anything. but are you getting the same brand hose each time? try something different. It also looks like its maybe wrong...

Yes I wondered that myself, there is apparently two different hoses for these Golf's, for the petrol and diesel motors, I supposedly have the right one, but might get the other one and try it anyway, in case it is actually the right one.

Kind Regards
Des
Memberdesh
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on April 4th, 2009 at 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rustguardbe interesting to know what is up

thanks for your comments, yes the limit to my skills will be to fit another hose, clamp if not I'll have to get a mechanic to look at what it might be, only seems to leak from the hose, no where else. as I tried some food dye in water to make it visible, to see any leaks better.

thanks for your help, will report back on any results I have,

Kind Regards
Des
MemberGolf Loon
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 6

Mood: Long Loose and full of Juice

posted on May 15th, 2009 at 08:03 AM

I wonder if the headgasket is OK. Check under the oil cap for creamy oil and water mix and see if oil drips off the dipstick.

This could be where the water is going, especially if it has been overheated a few times.
Memberbushed
Wolfsburg Elder

No Avatar

Threads: 66

posted on July 15th, 2009 at 10:41 AM

have nos rad cap $20 posted

want any vw bits old but like me, Made in Germany!!!

Go To Top