Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 3578 | Total Replies: 11 | Thread Id: 77560 ]
Author: Subject:  anyone in oz doin beam extenders?
Memberkb_ara
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 47

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on July 2nd, 2009 at 09:23 PM
anyone in oz doin beam extenders?

anyone in oz doin beam extenders?
Membergreedy53
Bishop of Volkswagenism

Threads: 468

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Grey
Mood: strung out

posted on July 4th, 2009 at 06:54 AM

not yet, but i know someone who has an imported one and is not going to use it ,if you are interested pm me and i will give you details
i have seen it bloody nice job and it does drop the nose 2 inches by just fitting it.
these are machene welded and laser cut

:yes::yes::lol::no::ninja::grind::dork:
Membereraser
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 128

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Powder

posted on July 4th, 2009 at 11:58 AM

yeah pitty they are a bitch to get an engineer cert for.

http://www.vwgeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/banner.jpg

Member1SlowBeetle
Commited Dubber

Threads: 10

posted on August 22nd, 2009 at 11:32 AM

I've been designing one for a while. It is made of laser cut plat and similar to one I saw in the states. I have access to a laser cutting machine and a guy who can tig weld so nicely that I consider it art. I'll also be going in consultation with an acreditied NSW engineer.

The good thing about laser cut pieces is that you can make lots, and they are ALL the same. So do you all think people be interested in paying a fair price for such an extension? And what do you think a fair price would be?

59 bug w 1916cc
Memberroundtoit
Commited Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 21

Mood: Fair to average

posted on August 23rd, 2009 at 07:52 PM

Engineered in all states of australia would be nice. $5,6,7 hundred i think would be fair but only if approved. Dont know if you could recoup money for engineer etc at this price but if you could there would be heaps of volksrods about. just my 2c
Cheers:dork:

Hurry up and wait
Memberglencsiro
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

Threads: 22

posted on August 23rd, 2009 at 07:56 PM
Beam extenders

It's a bit of a hard one to judge, you can get some sweet beam extension kits from the states for about $350AUD.
Of course they don't come with a cert which is a hassle and no one really wants to send cash overseas.
You'd want to have a bit of a range as well; some might want a little more length and height on their extenders.
But I have to admit as a start to just get one in my hands with a cert I'd fork over $300-$400 easy.

I’d probably love a logo laser cut as well.
MemberDirtbag
Wolfsburg Wizard
What the hell does standard mean?

Mood: boobtastic

posted on August 26th, 2009 at 01:02 AM

I'm in the same position as you 1slowbeetle. I've got one designed as a 10 inch stretch and 2 1/2 inch drop hat I'm looking to get engineer/torsion approval for in Qld. The extension itself isn't really the problem, it's the exposed leading edge of the tyres. I'm trying to point out that's what motorbikes have, but that doesn't seem to matter. My kit might just have to include cycle guards that cover the front of the tyre, so instead of covering 30 % of the tyre it might have to cover 60% or there abouts.
As for price, the extender I bought from the USA was one of the cheaper ones - $200 USD - which ended up costing me $600 AUD by the time it was on my door. I have no problem with that price considering how good it is, plus it let me know that my design is going to work, as they are sort of similar.
Price for the extension I'm building will depend on how the torsion test goes. If it requires more bracing to the floor pan, which it probably will, then obviously the kit will be dearer. I'll keep you posted.
Member1SlowBeetle
Commited Dubber

Threads: 10

posted on August 26th, 2009 at 09:17 AM

Sounds like your on your way Dirtbag. I'm thinking more like 8 inch extension with a 2" drop. I'm also going to look at a bolt on brace to go over the extension to help engineers smile. Have you got some pics of your new extension up on here? Keep us posted.

59 bug w 1916cc
MemberDirtbag
Wolfsburg Wizard
What the hell does standard mean?

Mood: boobtastic

posted on August 26th, 2009 at 12:49 PM

Hi again. Yes, I agree with the brace, that's something I'll have to include I'm pretty sure for torsional stiffness. I have posted a pic of the extension I bought from the US in the members rides section called "Sid Vicious the soon to be volksrod. It's a nice piece of work.
Membermaddog
Learner Dubber

Threads: 3

posted on December 31st, 2009 at 07:35 AM

i made one for my volks rod but could not get it passed. it was extended 8" and lowered 2" worked a treat. in the end everything was to hard to get passed up here in qld, had to cover the wheels with bike guards ect which took away from what i was after so i gave up and sold it to a guy in canberra, don't know who he went but one of my mates said he saw it at summernats last year. i would post a photo but can't work out how to do it:(
Memberran5
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 18

Mood: Anti MelburgLuft Fratboys..

posted on November 1st, 2011 at 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dirtbag
I'm in the same position as you 1slowbeetle. I've got one designed as a 10 inch stretch and 2 1/2 inch drop hat I'm looking to get engineer/torsion approval for in Qld. The extension itself isn't really the problem, it's the exposed leading edge of the tyres. I'm trying to point out that's what motorbikes have, but that doesn't seem to matter. My kit might just have to include cycle guards that cover the front of the tyre, so instead of covering 30 % of the tyre it might have to cover 60% or there abouts.
As for price, the extender I bought from the USA was one of the cheaper ones - $200 USD - which ended up costing me $600 AUD by the time it was on my door. I have no problem with that price considering how good it is, plus it let me know that my design is going to work, as they are sort of similar.
Price for the extension I'm building will depend on how the torsion test goes. If it requires more bracing to the floor pan, which it probably will, then obviously the kit will be dearer. I'll keep you posted.

did you end up getting the certified and passed by an engineer?

MembertheVman
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 52

Theme: UltimaBB Vintage

posted on November 1st, 2011 at 07:49 PM
Beam Extension

Quote:
Originally posted by ran5
Quote:
Originally posted by Dirtbag

did you end up getting the certified and passed by an engineer?

I have been looking for a local supplier as well.
http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showpost.php?p=522205&postcount=6

Well this guy must have done it. At least on limited rego.

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/391500_142446382523217_100002735679596_155890_350000796_n.jpg

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/267332_106283376139518_100002735679596_31422_4358359_n.jpg

Regards
theVman

1969 Beetle (soon to be Volksrod)
http://www.adlerbike.com/volksrod 
www.installsmith.com
http://www.adlerbike.com/volksrod/images/forum-banner1.png

Go To Top