Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 4565 | Total Replies: 13 | Thread Id: 78106 ]
Author: Subject:  Is a T3 Transporter that bad off road?
Memberdusto81
Officially Full-On Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 41

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on July 30th, 2009 at 08:09 PM
Is a T3 Transporter that bad off road?

Are T3's that bad off-road? I know it's been touched on before, but it all seemed negative, but my mechanic swears otherwise. And the weight of the T3 is still sitting on those back wheels...

My mechanic has lifted he's T3 and put 4wd tyres on it a while ago and reckons it is amazing, he's taken it up to Cape York and uses it on boat ramps pulling his boat out etc..

I've got a lovely trakka and when doing a lot of camping it would be great to have the flexibility of going off road. It doesn't need to be intense stuff, but a bit more freedom would be lovely.

My mechanic reckons at least a 2" lift and preferably 15" rims with good 4wd tyres.... I'd much prefer upgrading existing van with all it's entrenched memories, than look at a syncro..

Anyone have any thoughts? I do trust my mechanic, but always great to have other opinions.

And what are VW's like going through water?...

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers,
Dustin
Membervwjon
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 101

Mood: oily n thirsty

posted on July 30th, 2009 at 10:24 PM

these wedge vans are fantastic off road! a 2inch lift may be too much and pop the CV's out, standard height is very good, i agree with the 15" rims, (mercedes steel ones are the best!) the off road tyres are also an exellent idea, but you might have to trim the trailing edge of the front arches as they rub when conering and bouncing!
VW's are brilliant through water, mines been through water upto the windscreen, cos the motors in the back they dont water log like a front engined car!

3 1959 cadillacs
1 musso
2 early notchbacks
2 split kombis
2 split panels
1 split ute
1 low light panel
1 ex-pmg bay
1 country buggy
1 beetle ute
1 14" syncro caravelle
1 16" syncro doka
1 golf cabrio
1 vw camper trailer
2 3meter bombs
Memberdusto81

No Avatar

posted on July 31st, 2009 at 06:28 PM

Thanks for the positive feedback, love to hear it! Are you talking regarding a syncro or 2wd T3?

Cheers
MemberKombi Dad
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

Threads: 3

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue

posted on September 5th, 2009 at 12:47 PM

I have raised my '82 camper to the height of a synchro by using synchro springs in the rear and Falcon springs in the front. I also have a locking diff fitted. I use standard CVs but will probably go to Type 4 CVs in the not too distant future.

It is pretty good in the rough. I also have Sunraysia rims (14") fitted currently with Cooper ATR tyres. The Coopers may become a little harder to get as I believe that they were going to stop producing them.
MemberScottkombi

Threads: 11

Mood: Sick of Work

posted on October 16th, 2009 at 10:27 AM

There was a guy named Chris ...... that did a complete round Oz trip through some pretty harsh conditions with a T3 camper 2wd and had no problems other than quite a few shocks died due to the corrugations.

They have that great rear engine rear wheel drive combo and also have great ground clearance.

Some good bran off-road tyres will get you a long way.

88 Caravelle Syncro Camper
89 Caravelle GL microbus - 5 speed
69 Microbus
05 Mk5 Golf 1.9 TDi DSG
Membervwjon
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 101

Mood: oily n thirsty

posted on October 16th, 2009 at 01:05 PM

dusto, my syncro has been thru water upto the screen (more than once) but here are a couple of pics of my 2WD off roading, one is me on the beach up toward monkey mia shark bay, the other pic is a treck up to a look out point, just in front of the kombi is a large rock step, i though it was too big to cross so i didnt bother.
this kombi had the 2.1 petrol motor, suspension and tyres were bog standard, i followed a couple of 4x4's and saw things others dont normally see!
If i had the tyres and suspension i probably would have climbed the rock step!

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff192/kombijon/1stlot011.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff192/kombijon/1stlot012.jpg

3 1959 cadillacs
1 musso
2 early notchbacks
2 split kombis
2 split panels
1 split ute
1 low light panel
1 ex-pmg bay
1 country buggy
1 beetle ute
1 14" syncro caravelle
1 16" syncro doka
1 golf cabrio
1 vw camper trailer
2 3meter bombs
Memberscooter
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 38

Mood: Bling Bling

posted on October 16th, 2009 at 02:24 PM

http://www.busman.be

Syncro's but still nuff said !!!
Super Moderatormatberry
Super Moderator
Go hard or go home

Rank Avatar

Threads: 134

Mood: enjoying waving at all my Kombi buddies from my T3

posted on October 17th, 2009 at 10:49 AM

Well I wish I could agree. I just had our '92 panel to Inskip Point for an overnight camp and went into some short sandy tracks, well, she goes in the soft sand like a lead mine....straight down to the axles. And before you ask, I have been sand driving for 40 odd years, had vw's offroad including lots of beach for 35 years. The car was hardly loaded and I reduced tyre pressures and I hit the slight upgrade of straight sand off the bitumen on the rev limiter and the old T25 goes straight ahead or DOWN. We tried two different tracks and had the same results. Fortunately my mate with his unmentionable 4wd pulled us twice.
Now if we were in a bay with some off road rubber, we would been the vehicle doing the towing.... I have owned two baja's (pronounced Ba-Ha) and two baja busses, the first bus was one of the first bays to have 10R's etc etc back in 1988. Many trips have been done on Fraser Island including duning in both busses (well dual cabs actually).

So as a comparison to the WA pics, I would say it's the type and consistancy of the sand that you come accross.....so beware/carefull.

Now a syncro is another story...excellent offroad ability but still a bit heavy for ultimate sand performance.

Matt Berry Motorsports...air cooled advice, repairs and mods Ph 0408 704 662
OFF-ROAD,CIRCUIT,DRAG,STREET,ENDURANCE
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/mattberry-photo/20032011354-2.jpg
Memberdusto81

No Avatar

posted on October 18th, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Thanks for the pics, looks like a beautiful spot!

Regarding water: Syncro's have a different air intake system than normal T3's don't they? More like a snorkel system, so i've heard...

I've had bay windows in the past, but I really love the T3 trakka I've got, everything is just much easier than the older busses, even though a baja bay would be amazing!

I'm thinking good tyres as mentioned and a slight lift will make the trakka perfect for most things I'd want to tackle. My partner freaks out on a dirt road, so realistically I wouldn't be able to take the Trakka as far offroad as I'd probably like to... But who knows after a few positive experiences, she might relax a bit...

Although I'm starting a job/semi volunteering in Cambodia in March for 18 months, so I'm thinking I may have to put off modifications at the moment.

Thanks for the feedback, VW owners anecdotes are always the best!

Cheers,
Dustin
MemberKombi Dad
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

posted on October 18th, 2009 at 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottkombi
There was a guy named Chris ...... that did a complete round Oz trip through some pretty harsh conditions with a T3 camper 2wd and had no problems other than quite a few shocks died due to the corrugations.

They have that great rear engine rear wheel drive combo and also have great ground clearance.

Some good bran off-road tyres will get you a long way.

Agree. I have now put about 250,000 ks on the '82 with one round Oz trip and many others that have been a bit more local. I have found that the beast has given me pretty good service. I had no issues with shocks even before I raised it and went to a heavier shock. I have spent quite a bit on dirt and the vehicle handles it very well. Most of the travel I tow a trailer and cruise at about 95. It will go faster but the fuel consumption increases markedly.
Memberdusto81

No Avatar

posted on October 20th, 2009 at 04:40 PM

Kombi Dad,

How much was it / what all is involved in putting in a locking diff?

What's main differences between running 15" or 14" rims? Seems that most 15" tyres would struggle to fit in the wheel arch if the van's unlifted. I know the gear ratios will be affected, which on a 2wd I imagine you'd probably want to keep 1st gear low as there's no crawler gear.

But, otherwise what makes a 15" better besides tyre choices? I'm thinking there's greater width in tyre which will grip more, but less tyre means your probably getting more power through the tyre that is in contact...

Maxxis offers some really good 14" tyres, so I'm wondering why 15's....

Thanks for all the feedback!

Cheers,
Dustin
MemberKombi Dad
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

posted on November 12th, 2009 at 02:35 PM

The locking diff was about $700.00 but I don't know if they are available any more. The Lockrite diff simply replace the normal diff and is pretty straight forward. I know that an LSD is available from http://www.smallcar.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29808... and I will probably have to go that way when my locker finally wears out. Cost is US@1175.00 which is probably about what I paid for the locker when considering inflation etc.

I run 225 X 14" Sunraysia rims (6"), fitted with Cooper tyres. They have proven to be great in all kinds of terrain.

Ian
Memberdusto81

No Avatar

posted on November 24th, 2009 at 07:58 PM

Thanks Ian, yeh the locking diff does seem the way to go. For a bit over $1000 (go the aussie $), it'd be well worth it for a big trip. FYI: seems the coopers are no longer available in 14", it seems Maxxis is the main way to go for 14" tyres.

Thanks for all the info. At the moment, I've actually had to put the T3 up for sale, as I got an 18 month work/volunteer placement in Cambodia and don't know what will happen after that....

But, after owning a few T2's, I'm converted to the T3's and will eventually set one up with some off road versatility.

Cheers,
Dustin
Memberwaltermitty
Custom Title Time!
Legend when my beer goggles are on

Threads: 268

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Grey
Mood: Hungry for mor

posted on November 24th, 2009 at 09:15 PM

Matt Berry Im with you my dual cab was great everywhere but dry sand even with deflated tyres . Not much fun there burried a few times also . And like you I have plenty of sand/ offroad experience . Ground clearance standard is not really an issue . Mitchell

23 windows ...8 too many!

Go To Top