Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 10950 | Total Replies: 95 | Thread Id: 78635 ]
 Pages:  1  2  3  4
Author: Subject:  A life ambition sorted (67, then 63, now 66 Beetle)
Member71-BEETLE-SEDAN
Custom Title Time!
AKA Josh

No Avatar

Threads: 108

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White

posted on December 7th, 2009 at 07:13 PM

and the golf club, might fall inot the fan belt...
Membert_tuffnut
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 70

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2
Mood: Rust free for 12 months

posted on December 9th, 2009 at 06:53 AM

I've been chatting to a few people on the forum about getting some more poke out of the 1300. One person suggested converting it into a 1600 with new cylinders and pistons. It would remain a single port going this route, but would that matter?

The engine needs a refresh anyway, as that golf club causes me no end of trouble at highway speeds.

1966 Bug

1973 L Bug
Membert_tuffnut
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on January 6th, 2010 at 07:08 PM

Finally got some time to work on it. Spent today pulling apart the front drums. Ground them back, rust blasted them and put the first coat of KBS on them. I learnt from last time and put the thinnest coat I could on to avoid bubbling.

Then I treated the underside of the fuel tank. It was pretty rusty, but looks a million bucks again.

Also replaced the front shocks. I ordered one off ebay (got it cheap as a single) and thought I'd do it while the drums were off. Couldn't believe how knackered the passenger side front one was! The drivers side must have been doing most of the work.

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

1966 Bug

1973 L Bug
Membert_tuffnut
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on January 6th, 2010 at 07:09 PM

And the tank.

Error

1966 Bug

1973 L Bug
Membercam070
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 53

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Getting hands dirty stripping the bug down

posted on January 6th, 2010 at 08:22 PM

Looks great, but pardon my ignorance, what is KBS?
Membert_tuffnut
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on January 6th, 2010 at 08:33 PM

KBS is an Aussie version of POR15. It was developed by the same people apparently. It was easier to source than POR15, as there is a distributor of KBS around the corner. It generally finishes very smooth, even when applied with a paint brush.

1966 Bug

1973 L Bug
Membert_tuffnut
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on January 21st, 2010 at 08:56 PM

Hey, just after some advice.

I thought all the rust was sorted, but I found a new seam. Here is a picture of my cutting efforts. Should I cut away more, or should I be fine to treat the visible stuff and weld in a new piece?

I moved this question from the last thread.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Error

1966 Bug

1973 L Bug
Membert_tuffnut
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on January 25th, 2010 at 07:44 AM

Bump. Opinions people. What next?

1966 Bug

1973 L Bug
Membert_tuffnut
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on April 11th, 2010 at 05:38 PM

It has been a while since my last post, but work is still progressing.

I've been stripping the glue and left over hessian out of the interior, which is a thankless job.

Today I wire wheeled the bottom of the pan and treated the surface rust. Later tonight I'll be hitting it with some KBS rust proofing paint, so it should look awesome. I also took out the bolts that hold the pan to the shell, along with the steel plates and wire wheeled them back to steel and coated them in clear paint. Should be a good contrast against the black of the pan. I'll post a pic once it is all dry.

Over easter I had a crack at some spray painting. My girlfriend got me a spray gun for my birthday a while back and my Dad's beetle was the perfect thing to practice on.

The finish isn't fantastic, but for a first attempt I think it is pretty good, and it has dressed part of the car up no end. In hind sight, some more time prepping the panel would have been good, but as the light fades and and empty beer bottles pile up, you tend to think "She'll be right."

I am so happy with the finish that I'm planning on spraying my bug in acrylic. I know that it wont be as good as a pro, but it will be my work and affordable before the end of the year, so that makes it the plan.

Error

Error

1966 Bug

1973 L Bug
Membert_tuffnut
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on April 15th, 2010 at 03:29 PM

A pic of the underside of the pan after rust treatment and then after the first coat of KBS.

I painted from the front of the pan to roughly behind the battery tray. I've still got to clean the back forks and under the transmission, and I know that people on here get worked up if you paint over dirt!

I tried photographing the cleaned up bolts and plates after they were put back in, but the flash and reflective gloss paint didn't work too well.

I got the handbrakes working finally. Still having trouble with the brakes. I've bled them a few times, and I bled the three steel tubes going into the end of the master cylinder as well, but I've still got no real pressure in the pedal.

Error

Error

1966 Bug

1973 L Bug
Memberzayus
A.k.a.: Bryce
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 26

posted on April 30th, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Hey Hey,

Really enjoying the photo journal - easy to follow, plenty of useful information, and some humour.

My dad, use to have a '60 Beryl Green Beetle, it looked very similiar to your car. Will try and fine some pictures & post them.
He also used acryllic when he "restored" the Beetle in the carport.
The Beetle looked good, it had a bit of a shine, and it received plenty of attention. The car even managed to pick up an award an NRMA "Best of Show" award @ German Car Show back in 1998!

So, when's the next update?
Membert_tuffnut
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on May 2nd, 2010 at 07:42 PM

Thanks Zayus, looking forward to seeing the pics of your Dad's one.

I've been working on it most weekends, and now have working brakes - turned out there was no air in the system, I had just forgotten to adjust the front brake shoes - so they were taking all the slack in the system as I pumped on the pedal - not contacting the drum, just expanding. So I adjusted them and it is all sweet.

I've lined the petrol tank with a tank sealing kit, again from KBS (I swear, I do not work for them! it is just that the paint shop around the corner stocks all their gear). I put it back in today. I am very tempted to fill it up and hear that engine running again, but I still have that hole to weld under the tank, so I don't think I will fill the fuel lines just yet. I posted in the general chit chat section about welding, and said I could hire a mig - turns out the kennards website is wrong, as my local does not stock migs, and neither do any of the other hire places around apparently. Have to buy one eventually I suppose.

Do you reckon I would get knocked back on rego for that hole? At the moment it is a pain to move it, as I need to hire a trailer or get it towed each way.

This weekend I spent working on the panels. The plan is to spray it out bush with an air compressor and all, but in order to get it there it needs to be running and registered. I've seen first hand what primer is like with moisture, and don't fancy it getting a five o clock shadow before I get to spray it. So, i've resorted to rattle can spray at my house. I've read the thread on how to do it and think it has come up fine. I see it as panel work for the final colour - get them as close to perfect as I can, take the time to do each bit right, then spray em in a temporary colour until I get the time to take the car out bush, strip it down and spray it properly in the colour I'd like (Original - Bahama Blue).

Plus, I've always wanted a white beetle. I used the Professional touch up series of spray paint, and the difference was immediate, as I had started with the septone brand. Supacheap have pulled septone and switched to 3M stuff, which doesn't appear to work as well for me - especially the spray on putty. It spits drops of the stuff while spraying meaning more sanding.

Speaking of sanding, Dad lent me his ozito power orbital sander. Little pearler of a machine for $30 odd bucks. It takes the paint down in seconds using 320 grit pads. I had been using a bohler 3D sander (Imagine a phillips electric shaver, but for wood) which worked OK, but this Ozito helped heaps.

I am happy with the finished result. I got too ambitious and wanted both guards done by the end of the weekend, and kinda rushed the second. The paint all crinkled in areas and I need to re do sections of it. Such is life.

Error

Error

1966 Bug

1973 L Bug
Membert_tuffnut
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on May 7th, 2010 at 06:26 AM

and now with the other guard on. Again, with this guard, it is not the best finish up close and I will have to sand it back again when I am putting the final colour on, but it will do for the mean time.

Error

1966 Bug

1973 L Bug
Memberdangerous
A.k.a.: Dave Butler Muffin Man
23 Windows of Awesome

Threads: 178

Mood: 591

posted on May 7th, 2010 at 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by t_tuffnut
and I know that people on here get worked up if you paint over dirt!

:lol:

Quote:
Originally posted by westi
That's mad Alan.
Membert_tuffnut
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on June 13th, 2010 at 07:03 PM

I've been a bit more motivated to get this thing moving with the loan of a mig welder and after watching the beetle crisis DVDs a few times.

I've patched up the hole in the panel under the tank and hidden my lumpy, but sound, welds with a bit of bod and paint. I also patched a few holes that were in the bonnet - I think some one had side mirrors mounted on it at some time.

I have spent this long weekend and my evenings last week getting stuck into the paint and body and have nearly finished spraying the front end. It is a long way from professional, and frustrating in a way as I can see every little imperfection in it - stuff that others don't see when standing more than 1 metre away. Overall though, it is starting to look quite good.

Here are a few progress pics. The bonnet gets it's paint tomorrow so from the front it will look great. Take two steps to the right or left and it will look like crap. But who knows for how long as I might get a bit silly on the fumes from spraying in a confined space and come over all spray happy tomorrow!

Error

Error

1966 Bug

1973 L Bug
Membert_tuffnut
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on June 14th, 2010 at 01:48 PM

Bonnet is done! While the bug is in the shade it looks awesome.

in the sun, it shows up a few imperfections on the right hand side of the bonnet, but I will get to them again later.

Right now, I'm pretty stoked with it though.

Error

Error

Error

1966 Bug

1973 L Bug
Membert_tuffnut
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on July 16th, 2010 at 02:42 PM

The whole body is now white.

It has been one hell of a milestone for me, and if I ever see a power sander again it will be too soon. Over the last few days I've sanded and sprayed the rest of the car, which has come up looking great!

It is further motivation to sort out the imperfections that I made do with in the process, but they seem quite minor now.

I also came across this great enamel spray paint at supercheap, called Kromebrite, which gives quite a serviceable chrome finish to metal work. I gave one of my wheels a freshen up, and it looks pretty good. It might have benefited from a quick coat of primer filler before hand.

Error

Error

Error

1966 Bug

1973 L Bug
Membert_tuffnut
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on September 13th, 2010 at 04:59 PM

Got a few more parts on the weekend and have started sorting out the windows. Also got all the chrome work back on the outside of the car and have begun to put all the carpets and interior back in.

I've got to get as much done as possible before the 28th of september, as then it is off to a mechanic to check my work (and sort out the gear shift bushing which looks like a pain in the arse without a hoist) and then off for a blue slip.

It is getting bloody close to road worthy, and it feels like the project will only get larger when that has been accomplished, as I am eyeing off a set of rims at Classic Vee dub at the moment, the Empi GT 5 spokes in chrome or black (Decisions decisions!), the disc brake kits there look awesome, Rebuild the engine to a 1600, better suspension, new seats with better support - etc etc.

Hope the girl friend realises that just cause it is on the road, it isn't finished!

Error

Error

1966 Bug

1973 L Bug
Membert_tuffnut
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on September 29th, 2010 at 07:23 AM
Off to the mechanics!

Yesterday I took my bug down to Central Coast Carbies for a thorough once over. I'm going back today to hopefully have it finished off and maybe off to the blue slip (If all goes to plan)

Had a new fuel pump installed, along with a new gear shift coupling (What a pain in the arse that is to fit!), new hand brake cable, new exhaust seals and O rings and general tightening and adjusting of brakes and bolts around the car.

Today it gets new front wheel bearings, top up of all the oils and fired up for the first time in a year. If all the big stuff is sorted early enough, I'll throw in the last 2 windows (including the f#*kn quarter window rubber) and the seat belts and get it over to the blue slip.

Error

Error

Error

1966 Bug

1973 L Bug
Membert_tuffnut
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on October 1st, 2010 at 02:25 PM

The beast went for the blue slip today and passed with flying colours.

All I need now is the rego and I'm ready to roll!

It is awesome to finally drive it after all the time I have put into it. I still need to build up enough confidence to drive it further than a few Kms, but that will come.

On the list of stuff to do in the next few weeks is more sound proofing (It is pretty bloody loud!), get a sparky to look at the dash lights and fuel gauge, get the gear box serviced and get the squirter sorted.

Then down the track it will get a front disc conversion, along with new headlining, new exhaust and new rear suspension. Mags will probably follow, BRMs or chrome empi 5 spokes would look great. I'm still just stoked to have it running!

1966 Bug

1973 L Bug
Membert_tuffnut
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on October 2nd, 2010 at 06:58 PM

Here is a video of my first drive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv8iw7M6NZI 

1966 Bug

1973 L Bug
Membernsuwift
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 27

posted on October 3rd, 2010 at 06:13 AM

Good to hear she's going to be on the road. Hopefully see you around. My notch should be hopefully about 3 to 4 weeks away from a blue slip.
Membert_tuffnut
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on October 26th, 2010 at 07:06 PM

Registered today! I took it for a spin around the local streets and got some funny looks from some guys standing around their hotted up commodores. Probably cause I did a few laps of the street, but also because of the deafening clatter of a vehicle that is a relic from their parent's childhood, so far from their idea of cool that it defies understanding.

Screw em. I had a huge grin on my face and loved it.

Next step is to get some coil over shock suspension (I've seen them on Cip1 and at a few aussie places) to sort out the body roll a bit. I replaced the front shocks, but the back ones are stuffed. I hit a 90 degree corner at about 25kms/h and it almost felt like it was going to roll!

More pics to come soon!

1966 Bug

1973 L Bug
Memberian.mezz
Wolfsburg Elder
I never said, I could write or spell

Threads: 280

Mood: Happy

posted on October 26th, 2010 at 07:18 PM

how old are your tyres, that will make it rock and roll

:lol::crazy::lol::crazy::lol:
car forums. where a lot of peoples good intentions end up taking a good old car off the road forever never ever to see the road again. :fakesniff:
Membert_tuffnut
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on October 27th, 2010 at 05:10 AM

Good point. They came with the car, so I know they are atleast 5 years old, assuming they were the tyres on it at it's last rego.

The spare is fantastic - it looks like the original tyre issued with the car, as it's script looks like something from the 60s, and the rubber on it is hard as.

I'm taking it down to the servo today to top up the air pressure and see if that helps a bit too, but you are right. I'll put tyres on the list too.

1966 Bug

1973 L Bug
Membert_tuffnut
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on October 27th, 2010 at 06:11 PM

I took it for a longer drive today and noticed a shudder at 60kms/hr, but it stopped after 5 minutes or so. Could it just be clearing out some crap from between the gear teeth or something? The shudder had the passenger seat flapping in time. I gave it a good drive up some 45 degree hills and in some stop start traffic, and it seemed smoother on the drive home.

1966 Bug

1973 L Bug
Membert_tuffnut
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on November 4th, 2010 at 04:29 PM

Took it out for a spin today and couldn't get out onto the main road! Sounded and ran fine, reversed out onto the road, put it in first, hill start then it sounded and felt like half the engine had died. It wasn't revving properly and had not guts at all.

I pulled over and restarted a few times, but same problem. Checked the fuel filter and it's fine, all plug wires were still connected. Faffed around for a while and decided to try and limp it back into the drive, when it came good again. Got it into the drive and it was revving nicely, though a quick jab of gas produced a fair few back fires.

It has been backfiring a bit lately, but only when cold, so I put it down to the engine needing to warm up.

Is there anything obvious I should check? Help!

1966 Bug

1973 L Bug
Membert_tuffnut
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on November 4th, 2010 at 05:06 PM

A new pic of him from yesterday, when he was happier

Error

1966 Bug

1973 L Bug
Memberian.mezz
Wolfsburg Elder
I never said, I could write or spell

Threads: 280

Mood: Happy

posted on November 4th, 2010 at 06:13 PM

quick jab of gas
thats where you going wrong , :lol::crazy::lol:
what fuel you got unleaded 91 e10

:lol::crazy::lol::crazy::lol:
car forums. where a lot of peoples good intentions end up taking a good old car off the road forever never ever to see the road again. :fakesniff:
Membert_tuffnut
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on November 4th, 2010 at 06:27 PM

I put 95 in, along with the correct amount of flash lube. The lines are mostly new, so I don't think it is crap in them. I also relined the fuel tank, so there is no rubbish in that either.

1966 Bug

1973 L Bug
 Pages:  1  2  3  4

Go To Top