MemberJay-Jay
Casual Dubber

Threads: 9

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Golf anybody?

posted on August 30th, 2009 at 10:59 PM
Wiring Harness

Hi All
Can anybody tell me were the best place to find a new wiring harness. Absolutely fried mine in the baja today. we tried to fix but problems just got bigger and bigger. Can you buy kits including new fuse boxes,diagrams etc? Baja has still the Original 1960 wiring by the looks and i have been lucky lasted this long. Any info would be great.

Cheers

J J:mad:
MemberVWCOOL
23 Windows of Awesome

No Avatar

Threads: 235

Mood: happy to help

posted on August 31st, 2009 at 09:33 AM

maybe Vintage VW supplies in Sydney? Classic Vee Dub? Mick Motors? second-hand (if you can find)?

what part fried? Maybe you can repair circuit by circuit

Pay your debts, CxxT
Super ModeratorYogie
Super Moderator

Rank Avatar

Threads: 108

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue

posted on August 31st, 2009 at 10:49 AM

Try vintage wiring harnesses as well. I think it is http://www.vinwire.com.au  from memory.

Yogie
Membereraser
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 128

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Powder

posted on August 31st, 2009 at 11:56 AM

I got mine from ebay about $120 if i recall correctly.

http://www.vwgeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/banner.jpg

MemberJay-Jay
Casual Dubber

Threads: 9

Mood: Golf anybody?

posted on August 31st, 2009 at 10:37 PM

Hi all
Thanks for info will check out. Wires melted from ignition thru to starter motor we think? plus the positive and negative wires to the electric fuel pump also fried to the point of no return.The baja just stalled as if i was out of fuel, then the more we tried to start the more wires started to melt. We then lost power to starter motor,we noticed smoke pissing out of the front so we had to disconect the battery. Luckily we were only 2 kms of the main road and did not have to push all the way home about 20kms, a guy gave us a tow and got us out of the manure. All the wiring and fuse box still looks original being a 1960 vintage probably well overdue, so now the fuel pump u/s and baja off the road may as well give the old girl a birthday.The carbies can come off and be rebuilt , the 1835 can also come out and be freshened up and there is a oil leak in the gearbox so might chase one with super diff. will keep u posted with progress.

Cheers

JJ :tu:
Member68AutoBug
A.k.a.: Lee Noonan
Aircooled Master
Beetle Restorer - Experience over 138% - YIKES --

Threads: 449

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: Really Mentally Ill - all of the time -

no.gif posted on September 1st, 2009 at 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay-Jay
Hi All
Can anybody tell me were the best place to find a new wiring harness. Absolutely fried mine in the baja today. we tried to fix but problems just got bigger and bigger. Can you buy kits including new fuse boxes,diagrams etc? Baja has still the Original 1960 wiring by the looks and i have been lucky lasted this long. Any info would be great.

Cheers

J J:mad:

[size=4]Hi I haven't seen any wiring harnesses for a long time... there was someone making them in Brisbane a few years ago. but wiring harnesses are Very expensive to make and assemble... by hand....
You can only get LHD ones from the USA and they are very expensive too.. best to make up Your own... if you can... Just use different colored wires... DSE or jaycar etc...
You can't buy wires with red or white stripes on them though
best of luck
Lee
early beetles aren't too hard to re wire.. I use relays, lots of fuses and circuit breakers...
so, no burnt wires... LEE

[/size]

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

- [size=4]Helping keep Air Cooled VWs on the road - location: SCONE in the Upper Hunter Valley - Northern NSW 320 kms NNW of SYDNEY--- [/size]
MemberTim Andrews
Casual Dubber

Threads: 1

posted on September 1st, 2009 at 08:42 AM

Vinatage wiring harness made mine approx 7 years ago, with extra wiring for tach, oil temp and pressure inside the conduit, from memory it was around the $400 mark, but I am sure the website has prices

'56 Beetle, 1916

Go To Top