No Avatar

Threads: 3

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on August 31st, 2009 at 05:55 PM
Lost key FOB remote

So the spare has disapeared!

The dealers are quoting the best part of $600 to replace :mad:

I am getting conflicting info regarding the replacement of the FOB,

Some are claiming that only the manual key is VIN specific and any remote can be coded to open/start the car, others say you can code to open the car but not start it, yet others say you HAVE to get a new FOB specific to the VIN for it to work after coding by the dealer. I see many second-hand FOB's on that well known auction site so it is tempting to buy one however I dont want to wast my time/money if it cant be made to work.

Has anyone her had experience using a second-hand FOB and ACTUALLY making it work?
Memberblutopless2
Veteran Volks Folk
DAMSLO

Threads: 187

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue

posted on September 1st, 2009 at 01:21 PM

cant say i have had to replace a complete key and remote yet... i have broken the keyring bit at the bottom of a remote once and had to replace the remote part in order to get the keyring piece. it cost me around $100 for the remote bit and they programmed it for nothing while i waited - takes all of 1 minute to do.
when they ordered the remote they only asked what car it was for... dont know if they went as far as needing the VIN to order the remote but i am of the understanding that the remote is only specific to the range of car - # of buttons etc... its the key that would require a VIN.

there is some info over on http://www.watercooled.org.au  if you wanna research it more.... a few forum members there have had similar issues.
hth

see.... air and water do mix ;)

1974 1300
1997 MK3 Golf GL
2003 NB Cabrio
2012 Golf VI GTI
2014 Audi A4 Quattro
Memberrichdave
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 3

posted on September 1st, 2009 at 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by blutopless2
cant say i have had to replace a complete key and remote yet... i have broken the keyring bit at the bottom of a remote once and had to replace the remote part in order to get the keyring piece. it cost me around $100 for the remote bit and they programmed it for nothing while i waited - takes all of 1 minute to do.
when they ordered the remote they only asked what car it was for... dont know if they went as far as needing the VIN to order the remote but i am of the understanding that the remote is only specific to the range of car - # of buttons etc... its the key that would require a VIN.

there is some info over on http://www.watercooled.org.au  if you wanna research it more.... a few forum members there have had similar issues.
hth

Was this a late model Passat? I have an MY08 Passat.

I frequent http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au  but no answer there yet so I am widening the search
thanks for the reply :)

BTW -like the number plates! I had SLOJAM on my XR6T
Memberbushed
Wolfsburg Elder

No Avatar

Threads: 66

posted on September 18th, 2009 at 09:46 PM

keep up hope and keep looking as I had a probl and someone posted u could program later ones yourself...but mine was 96 mod Seat

want any vw bits old but like me, Made in Germany!!!

Go To Top