Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Forum Rules
New guidelines are in place as of 15/1/2014. Please review here:

http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=104733 

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 578 | Total Replies: 4 | Thread Id: 78872 ]
Author: Subject:  WTD - 1500cc Engine for 1970 Beetle - Canberra/Sydney etc.
MemberFinallyGotADub
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 3

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on September 4th, 2009 at 10:43 PM
WTD - 1500cc Engine for 1970 Beetle - Canberra/Sydney etc.

Hi all,
I just bought my first Beetle today - a fairly rusty 1970 white VW Beetle (see photo - hope the attachment works!). I've wanted a Beetle since the mid 80's and after helping a mate repair the rust in the A pillars in his 64 Beetle, he offered the 70 one to me at a price I couldn't refuse. Exciting stuff. I've heard that these things are addictive!

I won't get the car for a couple of months but it needs a new engine. I am looking to put a 1500cc back in.

Supposedly the internals of the existing engine are rebuilt but it leaks oil really badly and I can't re-use the block anyway as it's engine number has been duplicated by a previous owner - long story. So, I am really after a 1500 engine case at minimum but will consider a short motor or complete engine that would suit this car. Budget is not huge due to about 4 other car projects and a house reno, but if anyone has any parts and could help me out, please let me know.

Being new to this forum, I am not sure if I can be contacted by private messaging through the forum, but I am guessing that I can be. Alternatively, my mobile is 0414 243 291.

I am in Canberra but will travel a few hours to get parts.

Thanks heaps,
James

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.
Memberthe gnome
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 2

posted on September 5th, 2009 at 01:27 AM

Hi James, I've got a 1600 case, heads and a few other bits, just wondering what you have to spend?
MemberFinallyGotADub
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

posted on September 5th, 2009 at 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by the gnome
Hi James, I've got a 1600 case, heads and a few other bits, just wondering what you have to spend?

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.

I really don't know what old VW bits are worth yet, being so new to them. However, I was hoping to re-use the existing crank, pistons, rings, bearings etc. and heads from the engine that I have. So, if i was just to get an engine case that suits, then probably no more than a couple of hundred for one that is good but needs a clean up. I can maybe get one locally from a wreckers for around this I think. I do know of a complete seized engine that I could get for $250. I am about to call another local guy to see what he has also.

Can a 1600 case be used with the bits from a 1500 engine - i.e. is a 1600 case the same as a 1500 case?

Thanks,
James
Membercolonel mustard
Son of Jim - Creator of Good

No Avatar

Threads: 51

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Black

posted on September 5th, 2009 at 09:56 AM

Hey James. No point re-using the rings/bearings, that engine would be lucky to last a few weeks.......... to do it properly you will need to have the case line bored etc.
MemberFinallyGotADub
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

posted on September 5th, 2009 at 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by colonel mustard
Hey James. No point re-using the rings/bearings, that engine would be lucky to last a few weeks.......... to do it properly you will need to have the case line bored etc.

Hi,
Yeah, I found this out today. Thanks. I was thinking that these engines were like other engines that I am used to - i.e. a normal type block that you just fit new main bearings to if the crank is good. Obviously I was mistaken. It is a learning experience.

I can get a complete second hand engine that needs reconditioning/line boring etc. for $200 locally, including heads, pistons and cylinders. It would need to be sent away for the line boring and whatever other machining is required - $1200 and you'd have to buy a piston/cylinder kit ($350) and give the head a service. There are quite a few old engines to choose from at one local place in Canberra. There were no good ones ready to drop straight in though. For under $2k I could have a fully reconditioned motor.

I am now thinking that a good used complete motor might be the way to go. So, if anyone has a complete/running motor that will work well in the 1500 Beetle, please let me know.

Thanks,
James

Go To Top