Custom Title Time!
Also rides a Honda

Threads: 13

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on May 1st, 2011 at 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DieSchnelleKafer
i think thats for a kombi dude??

Yep, that's why it sticks out so far. I'm going to cut the tip off it, but can't decide whether or not to get the droopy bend welded back on.

MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare
Now containing 100% E-Wang

Threads: 211

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Purple
Mood: Tact Level 0.00

posted on May 1st, 2011 at 10:02 PM

I would leave it off, I was stuck behind a Kombi yesterday in a VW run with the tip angled down like that and the bloody thing was stirring up so much dust.
Memberpickstock
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 27

posted on June 15th, 2011 at 08:05 PM

so your a member of SDCC??

ive done a few runs there with the rovers and my brother
but i mostly play in the northern suburbs and further afeild
Memberwaveman1500
Custom Title Time!
Also rides a Honda

posted on June 15th, 2011 at 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pickstock
so your a member of SDCC??

ive done a few runs there with the rovers and my brother
but i mostly play in the northern suburbs and further afeild

No mate, I'm a member of the VW Club of SA. They're CAMS affiliated so I can get my L2 non-speed licence through the VW Club and then compete at multi-club events hosted by SDCC and a couple of other clubs. SDCC have by far the best setup though, in terms of owning their own track. The VW Club did organise to borrow some land from the Murray Bridge Junior Motocross club and we ran a few events there but now that arrangement has ended. I believe that the Tailem Bend khanacross track, at which the Nissan-Datsun Car Club used to host events, is also now out of action. So if you want to do khanacross now then Lanac Park is where it's at, so it makes sense to join the SDCC.

Memberwaveman1500
Custom Title Time!
Also rides a Honda

posted on June 15th, 2011 at 09:30 PM

Since this thread has been dragged up again, I may as well update it! I have now cut the excess off the tip of my exhaust pipe, so it sits just under the bumper. More interestingly though, I've been making some purchases.

http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo304/waveman1500/Superbug/Phone002.jpg

I've bought two of these!

http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo304/waveman1500/Superbug/P1010531.jpg

And all of this!

The Webers are a matching pair of 36mm IDFs which I bought out of the For Sale pages on this forum. Thanks kdubb! All of the rest I got from Vee Dub Parts Unlimited in the USA via the magic of the internet. They offer pretty reasonable postage. I got the whole package of CB Performance manifolds, 'Original' hex-bar linkage, air cleaners and a Pertronix distributor for well under $450 including shipping. I'm going to have a play around with them on the weekend.

MemberSebastienPeek
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 89

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White

posted on June 16th, 2011 at 01:09 PM

Looks like you've got yourself a nice little red one over there!

Can't wait until I can see this build with her dual carby setup, is going to be mad.

Definitely have to catch up, let Zelda meet a red counterpart xD

The sold one, '73 VW 1303 - Zelda
The project, '74 VW 1303 - Gretl
Memberwaveman1500
Custom Title Time!
Also rides a Honda

posted on August 31st, 2011 at 10:43 PM

This has been a long time between updates. I haven't been completely idle though. I fitted the Webers and distributor at home with the help of my mate Rex. Because I had a day off from work coming up, I ambitiously booked it in for a tune before we had even finished fitting the carbs. Then, I attempted to get it running and drive to the workshop. It didn't run. I couldn't fix it, so I stuck it on a tow-truck and sent it away. I'm hoping to get it back this week...

http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo304/waveman1500/PhoneCamera019.jpg

http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo304/waveman1500/PhoneCamera016.jpg

http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo304/waveman1500/PhoneCamera017.jpg

Some clearancing had to be made on the right-hand side of the engine bay!! ;D

http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo304/waveman1500/PhoneCamera020.jpg

The beast lurks within! The carbs have been rebuilt and rejetted at the workshop. The carbs came with 32mm venturi but they've been changed to 28mm to better suit the engine. Can't wait to get it back in a few days' time!

MemberSebastienPeek
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 89

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White

posted on August 31st, 2011 at 10:53 PM

Looking good Mark!

Pity you couldn't get her running, could it have had anything to do with the lack of fuel last time? :P
You'll have to upload a video when you get her back up and running, would love to hear her!

The sold one, '73 VW 1303 - Zelda
The project, '74 VW 1303 - Gretl
Memberwaveman1500
Custom Title Time!
Also rides a Honda

posted on August 31st, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Sebastien, the used Webers which I bought were never going to run again without a thorough rebuild. I had tried to wash them out with kerosene in my parts washer, but it wasn't enough. Bob at Volkscare has rebuilt them and some of the accelerator jet pump valves were so clogged up with junk that they had to be drilled out. If I ever do Webers again then I will be buying brand new ones from the US, as it would've been cheaper than getting these old ones rebuilt!

MemberPete Daly
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 3

posted on October 18th, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by waveman1500
Had a visit from my uncle today, who helped me out with some VW wisdom. The Type 3 has had a bit of timing taken out of it as it was pinging a little bit on steep hills, and the idle speed was then adjusted. Bigger news though was the final decision to scrap the Bug. I already knew that it would be easier to get another car than to fix the Bug shell, but David helped point out to me some of the subtler areas of hidden damage, including bending to the framehead and damage to the right-hand side panels as well as the left, due to the fact that the entire front apron and fuel tank have been pushed to the right in the crash. The steel box section which surrounds the tank actually hit the right hand side of the body, which shows that it is more or less had it. So, I'm officially on the lookout for a new shell.

If anyone in Adelaide has a complete Beetle or nice shell for sale, preferably a balljoint/torsion-bar front end (1500 or 1300) then please let me know. I don't need the engine or transaxle, but I want at least a complete shell and front end. In the mean time I will tidy a few more things up on the Type 3 and go searching for a replacement motorsport car.
Memberwaveman1500
Custom Title Time!
Also rides a Honda

posted on May 25th, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SebastienPeek
Looking good Mark!

Pity you couldn't get her running, could it have had anything to do with the lack of fuel last time? :P
You'll have to upload a video when you get her back up and running, would love to hear her!

Here it is! Just under 2 years and she's back. It fired up for the first time tonight. During the VW's time in the shed I had a WB Holden ute, which was good fun but also very heavy on the steering and the fuel consumption. I have now sold the Holden, so it's time to get the Beetle going again. I picked up a used single Weber 44IDF kit from an ad on Facebook (either AVD or VWCSA group) and today I fitted it with help from a couple of mates. Unfortunately the air cleaner is just slightly too tall and the engine lid won't fit.

The next job is to unbolt the sidewinder exhaust and seal it all up so it won't backfire as much. Then it needs a good tune and a battery so I don't have to steal one from my daily driver!

MemberCraig Torrens
A.k.a.: Craig Torrens
Scirocco Rare
6 times Australian, 7 times State Hillclimb Class Champion

Threads: 347

Mood: Time to go Salt lake racing, and actually achieve a result.

posted on May 25th, 2013 at 10:24 PM

what happened with the twin carbs ?

Memberwaveman1500
Custom Title Time!
Also rides a Honda

posted on May 25th, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Torrens
what happened with the twin carbs ?

Well, I couldn't make them work, and the workshop that I sent them to couldn't do it either. After that point I thought it wasn't worth risking any more money on them. I could have bought a brand new pair of 40mm IDFs, but I thought that was a bit overkill for a stock 1600cc engine. I was looking seriously at buying a single rebuilt 40DCN from eBay, but it was a bit expensive for my taste. This 44IDF just happened to pop up and I rang the seller straight away and grabbed it based on a Facebook photo and a price.

Later on down the track if I end up building a hotter motor, then I will pull out the twin-carb kit again and buy a new set of IDFs for it.

Memberwaveman1500
Custom Title Time!
Also rides a Honda

posted on March 1st, 2014 at 05:19 PM

Some update photos.

http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo304/waveman1500/Superbug/IMAG0929_zpsuoharaku.jpg

The S-Bug is currently on hiatus in the shed, but I did manage to get to one motorsport event in it! After working until about 2:30am the previous night, we made it to a bitumen khanacross last year. The car barely passed scrutineering by the good grace of the club, and some hasty modifications were required with gaffer tape! At the end of the day we did have a lot of fun, but the car is not fully up to scratch and needs a lot of work done to it. I'm not particularly keen to get the work done at the moment, as I am distracted by other cars. One of which is my 1990 Toyota Celica ST185 GT-Four, which I plan to use for motorsport instead of the Beetle. If I ever get off my backside and wash it, then I might take some photos for a thread!

http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo304/waveman1500/Superbug/IMAG0930_zpskflcqvuh.jpg

Pages:  1  2  3

Go To Top