Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 2497 | Total Replies: 20 | Thread Id: 82252 ]
Author: Subject:  new class for street legal watercooled drags ...
Memberchippy
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

Threads: 14

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Volksie!

posted on March 1st, 2010 at 09:09 AM
new class for street legal watercooled drags ...

Hey everyone!
I have started this thread to find out how much interest there is in a specific watercooled street legal drag class. I have no idea of the specifics, nor do I intend to organise the whole shebang (or any of it). I am simply offering a thread for discussion for those people who would like to drag their non-air cooled dubs. any ideas ????
Cheers Todd :D
btw, i dont have a watercooled vw, and I am not overly interested in them. however this thread exists for those who feel left out of other threads :D
MemberPhil74Camper
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
Head in the Clouds

Threads: 193

posted on March 1st, 2010 at 02:41 PM

Not sure what they do at the Warwick and Portland VW drags - I've never been - but I thought they already had a class for watercooled VWs. I might be wrong. If they don't, they should ! Maybe Craig can clarify.

We don't run VW drags in NSW any more as Oran Park has closed, and we can't afford the exorbitant price of WSID.

Watercooled VWs are welcome at the VW Nationals Supersprint - see http://www.clubvw.org.au/supersprint/index.php  for more info. Watercoolers would be well-suited to circuit racing.
MemberBug_racer
Officially Full-On Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 16

posted on March 4th, 2010 at 07:05 PM

There is a class but there just isnt enough cars entering for it to really be a succesful class . The owners of watercooled cars arent interested in drag racing and its something which Ive learnt to accept
Super Moderatormatberry
Super Moderator
Go hard or go home

Rank Avatar

Threads: 134

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: enjoying waving at all my Kombi buddies from my T3

posted on March 4th, 2010 at 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bug_racer
There is a class but there just isnt enough cars entering for it to really be a succesful class . The owners of watercooled cars arent interested in drag racing and its something which Ive learnt to accept

Hmmmm

Matt Berry Motorsports...air cooled advice, repairs and mods Ph 0408 704 662
OFF-ROAD,CIRCUIT,DRAG,STREET,ENDURANCE
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/mattberry-photo/20032011354-2.jpg
MemberBug_racer

No Avatar

posted on March 4th, 2010 at 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by matberry
Quote:

Hmmmm

Go to the watercooled forum and see how many users there are . Go to the events section and go see how Ive argued and tried to get people to come . Its a lost cause
MemberCraig Torrens
A.k.a.: Craig Torrens
Scirocco Rare
6 times Australian, 7 times State Hillclimb Class Champion

Threads: 347

Mood: Time to go Salt lake racing, and actually achieve a result.

posted on March 4th, 2010 at 08:20 PM

Quote:

NO....the owners of real performance watercooled cars like Mitsubishi's,nissans,and subaru's love the drags, thats why we have truckloads of them running at WSID every Wednesday night...................I think unfortunately a watercooled VW/Audi driver isnt the target audience for drag racing.....sorry mate, you're working on and driving the wrong vehicle if youre trying to appeal to that market.

Youre getting awesome results, its just no one seems to cares in the Audi/vw circle's...pity.

MemberBug_racer

No Avatar

posted on March 4th, 2010 at 08:20 PM

Here have a read : http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=30039&hi...

I was the only one who turned up from the forum . The Kombi is here on the aircooled forum . How Ironic , 50% of watercooled entries at Warwick came from air cooled forum !
MemberJVLRacing
Custom Title Time!

No Avatar

Threads: 30

posted on March 5th, 2010 at 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Torrens
Quote:

NO....the owners of real performance watercooled cars like Mitsubishi's,nissans,and subaru's love the drags, thats why we have truckloads of them running at WSID every Wednesday night...................I think unfortunately a watercooled VW/Audi driver isnt the target audience for drag racing.....sorry mate, you're working on and driving the wrong vehicle if youre trying to appeal to that market.

Youre getting awesome results, its just no one seems to cares in the Audi/vw circle's...pity.

on a serious note here craig,is this why u went down this path?
MemberCraig Torrens
Scirocco Rare

posted on March 5th, 2010 at 10:00 AM

what path ?

MemberMick058
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 109

posted on March 5th, 2010 at 10:01 AM

evo

MemberJVLRacing
Custom Title Time!

No Avatar

Threads: 30

posted on March 5th, 2010 at 10:08 AM

thanks mick:cool:....

EVO
MemberCraig Torrens
Scirocco Rare

posted on March 5th, 2010 at 10:39 AM

no.

MemberLOWBUG
Insano Dub Head

Threads: 33

Mood: OUT OF CONTROL

posted on March 5th, 2010 at 07:53 PM

same shit different smell
MemberBug_racer

No Avatar

posted on March 5th, 2010 at 10:32 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Best I got out of the S3 is 12.6 which is ok but its getting a whole new set up . I think its not bad but I definately want to improve on what I have !
I cant compete against Jap cars , its near impossible to get anywhere near their times . Our cars are way too heavy and we just dont have the support in billet parts to run the numbers . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8_hgLqzo9g  that car gets the box rebuilt after almost every pass . They have n/a Hondas doing those times in US . So compared to Jap cars my times are pretty lame
MemberSides
A.k.a.: Dave Sidery
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 59

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: Need... more... shed... time...

posted on March 6th, 2010 at 06:45 AM

Dumb question time... and I admit I'm GOOD at dumb questions.... but Bug_racer, have you ever considered roundy roundy (circuit) racing ??? I'm talking sprints, hillclimbs, track days etc. not so much the paint swapping, panel banging outright "racing" you see at a lot of tracks.

Corner's are my thing, but then I also enjoy running at Warwick... a nicely worked S3 I would've thought would be a great circuit car, and some of the things that are a disadvantage against Jap cars at the drags become an advantage on a track that has corners. Circuit type mods can also make it a much more fun experience driving on the road.

So yeah... if you're in love with the car etc. but having difficulty finding good competition at the drags... maybe just try changing the type of competition you're looking for....

VWDCQ vice pres & web dude - vwdcqinc.org.au
Join a car club - get car peeps

My toys
'70 Hillclimb Bug 'Jezebel' w/- Haltech EFI - http://bit.ly/VwTNtQ 
'60 KG Coupe - resto kinda started
01 New Beetle - gf's car, but I turn the spanners
MemberBug_racer

No Avatar

posted on March 6th, 2010 at 10:12 PM

I did proffessional circuit racing with VW racing in 2003/2004 so Ive been there done that . The S3 will be tracked as it has the capability to do so (big brakes , sway bars etc) but I aint the best driver so dont expect fast times . I do personally prefer the drags so most of my cars will be influenced more to race at the drags than circuit . Anything over 300whp in a front wheel drive at the track is a handful . A track like Eastern creek would be ok but Wakefield would be hell , not enough fast flowing corners !
Memberrevnit
Casual Dubber

Threads: 10

posted on June 19th, 2010 at 05:59 PM

As already stated the watercooled community has little interest in going drag racing most are to worried about there insurance or warrinties, Im from what i call the other side of the watercoolers, i like my old dogs i currently have 2 mk1s i had a later model vr6 but lost interest in it. Ive had 3 evo lancers hand full of other cars but still fall back on my mk1. i raced my mk1 16v at warwick 2008 and have been to half dozen test n tunes with it i enjoy doing it, the car has been off the road for some time now with a complete restoration but should easily improve my times with new engine setup the car will be setup for full trim drag racing. I enjoyed racing at warwaick in 2008, 9 cars showed up that year everyone was like best of friends one year later was like 3 cars. As for classing i dont know how much interest there will be i started a 1/4 mile post on the watercooled forum filled up with chit chat and not many times, maybe if there was some form of vw drag racing site that had peoples times posted in both air and water, may atract a bit more attention few pix and stats bobs your uncle. :cool:

P.S hoping to race at warwick this year in my mk1 diesel its slow but atleast im taking part :D

Member1303Steve
A.k.a.: Steve Carter
Scirocco Rare

Threads: 556

Mood: Parrot Heading

posted on June 19th, 2010 at 07:26 PM

Quote:
what path ?

Craig is is finally on the straight and narrow
MemberPhil74Camper
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
Head in the Clouds

Threads: 193

posted on June 22nd, 2010 at 08:07 AM

Quote:
NO....the owners of real performance watercooled cars like Mitsubishi's,nissans,and subaru's love the drags, thats why we have truckloads of them running at WSID every Wednesday night

It's always nice when non-VW drivers join us on a Volkswagen forum, but implying that only Japanese cars are 'real' performance watercooled cars is just nonsense.

The results of this year's 24 hours of Nurburgring sports saloon race are here : http://adac.24h-rennen.de/Live-Ranking.4243.0.html 

Normally it's won by a Porsche GT3, but this year it was a BMW M3 followed by a Ferrari and an Audi. The best Japanese car was a Nissan Z33 in 12th. Volkswagen ran their Scirocco powered by natural gas (CNG) - it finished 16th. The best Lexus was 19th, the best Subaru was 25th, the best Honda was 31st and the best Mitsubishi was 161st (even some ancient Golf 3s racing did better than that).

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.
Memberwaveman1500
Custom Title Time!
Also rides a Honda

Threads: 13

posted on June 22nd, 2010 at 11:32 AM

I realise this thread is a bit old now, but I just had to ask this question. Why do you want a specific one-make racing class? Surely the whole point of competition is to take on all comers. Variety is the spice of life, you know. If drag racing a watercooled VAG car is your thing, then go out and take down some Civics or something. Bug_Racer was talking about mid-12s in an Audi, that's surely fast enough to hold it's own at the off-street drags. You'd be knocking off most 6 cylinder Commodores/Falcons and plenty of street-driven V8s with those sort of times. To be honest, times don't even really matter in grass-roots drag racing, because most amateur classes are Dial-your-own anyway, so consistency is the key! In dial-your-own racing, an auto Golf 1.6 which runs perfect 18 second runs all day could easily beat a faster car which gets too much wheelspin and runs inconsistent times.

MemberWater Boy
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 19

posted on August 31st, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Bug_racer (seb) is one of teh very few who is into drag racing revnit and a few others are there too...

The thing is most watercooled blokes are into wheels, offset and coilovers. Or which chip they need for their DSG Mkv.

Watercooled racing is huge in the US but not much down under.

There is people racing but they dont go to Portland or Warwick.

Here is a quick list of people I know wo have been down the 1/4

- Tim in his Mk1kjet turbo
- Pete in hsi VR6
- Brent in his VR6
Adzy in his Mkv
A bloke from Geelong in a Mk1 GTI 20v 1.8t
Chris in his Mk4 GTI

The thing is they dont all get togther as sone. Just doing their won thing...

Go To Top