Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 1213 | Total Replies: 6 | Thread Id: 86178 ]
Author: Subject:  to convert or not to convert?
Memberducktape
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 2

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on September 23rd, 2010 at 09:37 PM
to convert or not to convert?

Hi guys

I m going to start reading the forums on conversions to see how you guys go about it, but I m pretty keen on a subaru conversion having seen many here in the UK.

My big question is I m looking to move over to australia from the UK in 12 - 18 months. I have seen a couple of crew cabs and single cabs here in the UK one of which I may buy and restore and then bring over.

Do you think it's best to leave stock (ish) air cooled then have a conversion done in Oz or crack on and import as a conversion?

What are the potential pitfalls?

be really greatfull for any advice
Super Administratorhelbus
A.k.a.: Pete S
Super Administrator
Mad fabricator, paint and body

Rank Avatar

Threads: 312

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: In the thinking chair

posted on September 23rd, 2010 at 10:57 PM

If you are definitely coming over, then just wait until you do, and then buy over here. Less rust in our vehicles, and you can spend the money buying a better one rather than $4000 shipping. There are a lot of Aussie cars going over to UK for the reason that we have a lot less rusty ones here.

Memberducktape
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

posted on September 24th, 2010 at 02:49 AM

well that is one of my options and I am considering it but I ve had trouble researching/finding any crew/single cabs for sale over your way. I m preferably after a splitscreen and I ve found plenty here but you are right most are rusty usually around the bottom 6 inches. one which I have seen is originally an oz import and in great shape and been kept well since its been here by the looks of things.

Obviously if you can point me in the right direction for possible contacts to locate in Australia I'd be greatfull.
Memberwaveman1500
Custom Title Time!
Also rides a Honda

Threads: 13

posted on September 24th, 2010 at 03:15 AM

Be very wary of the current vehicle importing rules, make sure you read up on them and check to confirm that you are actually allowed to bring your car in with you. I think that if you've owned it (registered in your name) for at least a year before you move then you should be okay, but there has been a big change recently in the interpretation of some vehicle importation laws, which has led to the effective banning of all modified vehicles being imported. In some cases the 'modifications' have been as little as non-standard paint or wheels. Make sure that, if you're bringing the vehicle in as a personal import, you will actually be allowed to register it here. There are people with cars sitting on the docks because they have imported them but they are not legally allowed into Australia for whatever reason.

Here's a couple of links to start:
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/importing_...
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/importing_...

Be sure to check this one out:
http://www.asrf.org.au/docs/Import-Bulletin-001.pdf 

The legislation is ambiguous, which is why the recent "re-interpretation" of existing legislation has completely changed the way things work in practice. Vehicles manufactured before 1989 are allowed in, but crucially modified vehicles are classified by the date of modification. This means that unless you can prove that every part of your car is 100% original, or you have documents to prove that it was modified to it's current state before 1989, your car can be refused entry under the pre-1989 scheme. This was never a problem until only a few months ago, when for some reason the Department of Infrastructure and Transport got very picky about originality.

Memberducktape
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

posted on September 24th, 2010 at 04:09 AM

waveman thanks great information based on what I have just read importing a stock original split under personal importation should be OK, it can even be restored but must be in original specification.

I'll do some more research but I have a feeling this may evolve into where do I find splitscreens for sale in Australia, who are good restoration companies, engine converters, etc...
Super Moderatormatberry
Super Moderator
Go hard or go home

Rank Avatar

Threads: 134

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: enjoying waving at all my Kombi buddies from my T3

posted on September 24th, 2010 at 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by waveman1500
Be very wary of the current vehicle importing rules, make sure you read up on them and check to confirm that you are actually allowed to bring your car in with you. I think that if you've owned it (registered in your name) for at least a year before you move then you should be okay, but there has been a big change recently in the interpretation of some vehicle importation laws, which has led to the effective banning of all modified vehicles being imported. In some cases the 'modifications' have been as little as non-standard paint or wheels. Make sure that, if you're bringing the vehicle in as a personal import, you will actually be allowed to register it here. There are people with cars sitting on the docks because they have imported them but they are not legally allowed into Australia for whatever reason.

Here's a couple of links to start:

Be sure to check this one out:
http://www.asrf.org.au/docs/Import-Bulletin-001.pdf 

The legislation is ambiguous, which is why the recent "re-interpretation" of existing legislation has completely changed the way things work in practice. Vehicles manufactured before 1989 are allowed in, but crucially modified vehicles are classified by the date of modification. This means that unless you can prove that every part of your car is 100% original, or you have documents to prove that it was modified to it's current state before 1989, your car can be refused entry under the pre-1989 scheme. This was never a problem until only a few months ago, when for some reason the Department of Infrastructure and Transport got very picky about originality.

Yes, no personal experience , (luckily I pulled the pin on a modified car from the states) but I've heard of many vehicles on the docks or being sent back or to NZ. F'n Aussie red tape.....we're nearly drowning in the stuff...:!:

Matt Berry Motorsports...air cooled advice, repairs and mods Ph 0408 704 662
OFF-ROAD,CIRCUIT,DRAG,STREET,ENDURANCE
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/mattberry-photo/20032011354-2.jpg
Memberducktape
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

posted on September 24th, 2010 at 09:37 PM

Red tape is both a blessing and a curse!

Go To Top