Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 1613 | Total Replies: 8 | Thread Id: 87931 ]
Author: Subject:  How big is a T3 kombi?
MemberAndy
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
Andy's Adventures

Threads: 181

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Happy Man

posted on January 3rd, 2011 at 10:25 PM
How big is a T3 kombi?

Picked up an aircooled T3 recently and have been toying with the idea of restoring it and making it a daily driver.
I have done some internal measurements to compare it to my current Baywindow bus, wall to wall, roof to floor etc.
I have never compared a bay window bus to a splitty, but I believe they are quite similar inside and out in overall sizes.
Comparing a T3 to a T2 surprised me!
So are they bigger/smaller, the same??
After peoples impressions.
:dork:

Oh, and anyone out there made the upgrade? Wonder how different they are to drive?
I know there is a big difference on suspension, and I assume they handle much better. (I have driven late watercooled T3's and assume handling is simlar to them).
Are the motors a big jump forward over a 2L bay window, or basically the same?
MemberKombi Dad
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

Threads: 3

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue

posted on January 4th, 2011 at 08:51 AM

T3 is definitely wider. I would say about 6". My impression is that they are much better to drive, handling wise. Compared to a 2l bay I would suspect that they will not be as lively as they are heavier though it has been years since I last drove a 2l bay. As mine is a camper and generally loaded and ready to go it would probably carry extra weight. I can say that they tow a trailer well as I have taken to towing one when we camp. Works very well.

Ian
MemberVolksVair
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 32

posted on January 4th, 2011 at 01:20 PM

I have a complete 89 T3 with a dud motor, plenty of room inside and a subie would go great in it as the plumbing works are all ready in place, but and I say but, been looking at the 5 speed box under that T3:yes: anyone fitted one of these to an earlier type 2? another thing I noticed, the water cooled 2.1 ltre motor resembles the early type 1 case. The question that needs to be asked, wonder if that crankshaft will fit an earlier 1600 case?? ( with a few modifications)? cheers Frank

Adventure Before Dimentia
MemberAndy
Andy's Adventures

posted on January 4th, 2011 at 11:17 PM

T3 wider?
Measuring inside, wall to wall is ~2" wider! Same from floor to ceiling!!! Front to back is ~1.5"
Never measured outside, but I would guess they are about the same.
The big difference is the much lower rear deck height and squarer body means it doesn't taper off to the edges like a Bay window.

Surprised me, I thought they were much wider. Have not looked at weights, but like you my bus is perminantly overloaded. I guess that means they will be about the same performance.

Volksair, am certain they will not fit, no way a stock 1600 can make 2.1L without big mods.
MemberKombi Dad
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

Threads: 3

posted on January 5th, 2011 at 07:57 AM

I am no expert on gearboxes but when I fitted the locking diff I thought of changing the four speed to a later five speed. Advice given then was not to as the five speed box was not as strong as the four speed. Having said that I throw that all out later this year when I convert my bus to diesel (genuine Vanagon 2l turbo diesel from the '80s) which will use the matching diesel gearbox. I will retain the locker in that box if it is not too far worn or get another or LSD. See how it all goes later this year.

Ian
Super Moderatormatberry
Super Moderator
Go hard or go home

Rank Avatar

Threads: 134

Mood: enjoying waving at all my Kombi buddies from my T3

posted on January 5th, 2011 at 08:18 AM

Yep T3's are a little larger, and heavier, but they drive really well on the street, unfortunately they are not as capable off road though. The trans has a rep for being weaker as from new they don't last as well as the older 4 speeds, but it is due to excessive heat as they have a bigger more powerfull engine pushing a heavier bus at usually faster speeds. I fit a transmission cooler to keep temperatures down if used for heavy duty towing etc., that way the oil is in it's operating temp range so bearings last longer. Having said that, my T3 trans hung in there until 375 000km......not too shabby really

And yep, the engine is a Type 1 derivitive. The crank can be used in a Type 1 case with some work/mods, or the case can be modified for use in an air cooled type 1.......called an Oxyboxer!.....possibilities are endless. Have a look at Shoptalk Forum, heaps of info there on the conversions.

Matt Berry Motorsports...air cooled advice, repairs and mods Ph 0408 704 662
OFF-ROAD,CIRCUIT,DRAG,STREET,ENDURANCE
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/mattberry-photo/20032011354-2.jpg
MemberAndy
Andy's Adventures

posted on January 5th, 2011 at 10:26 PM

So I'm better keeping the T2 as my daily then :)

Am surprised to hear the T3 crank will fit? Must need a lot of mods to get a stroke that long.
Super Moderatormatberry
Super Moderator
Go hard or go home

Rank Avatar

Threads: 134

Mood: enjoying waving at all my Kombi buddies from my T3

posted on January 6th, 2011 at 12:41 AM

74 isn't a big stroke, 88 is BIG...90 well that's silly !

Matt Berry Motorsports...air cooled advice, repairs and mods Ph 0408 704 662
OFF-ROAD,CIRCUIT,DRAG,STREET,ENDURANCE
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/mattberry-photo/20032011354-2.jpg
MemberAndy
Andy's Adventures

posted on January 6th, 2011 at 08:46 PM

I have not measured exterior sizes, but assume they will be basically the same.
I'm guessing hey are safer than a T2 also with a lot of work done on crash protection.

Go To Top