[ Total Views: 720 | Total Replies: 6 | Thread Id: 88284 ]
Author: Subject:  Importing VW's to SA
Memberpunkrokka
Learner Dubber

Threads: 3

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on January 23rd, 2011 at 12:01 AM
Importing VW's to SA

Hope this isn't a daily question.....getting mixed reports on importing cars to Australia. Is it different rules for each state or one for all?

What are the restrictions on importing my '78 Karmann Cabrio (LHD) to SA, is it out of the question ?

Maybe flogging it in the UK and buying something over there is the best bet ?
Memberwaveman1500
Custom Title Time!
Also rides a Honda

Threads: 13

posted on January 23rd, 2011 at 12:21 AM

Well, you will have to pay fees, taxes and shipping, which is just the start. Aircooled VWs are also worth considerably more in the UK, so if you wanted value for money you'd be better off selling up over there and buying another Beetle here where they're cheap. There aren't many convertibles around here though, so if you wanted one then it might be a bit of a search.

The big deal with importing used cars to Australia at the moment is that it has to be completely 100% stock standard. Modified vehicles are not allowed in, and there are rumours suggesting that cars have been knocked back at the docks for modifications as trivial as different wheels or even paint. Once it's in, LHD cars are not allowed to be registered with any modifications anyway, so it would have to be either kept in original condition or converted to RHD. Check out some information here: http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/importing_...

The reason for all of the hassle about modified cars is due to a recent change in the government's interpretation of the law. The basic idea is that a car may only be individually imported if it was made before 1989. However, the catch is that if a car is "converted" then the date of manufacture is considered to be the date at which the modifications were completed, not the date listed on the car's title. This essentially was used to prevent things like hot-rods and kit cars from being registered as old vehicles when they are in fact new. It used to be that you could get modified production cars in. Depending on who you believe though, the people responsible for deciding what constitutes a modified car and what doesn't have recently started to ban anything which isn't a 100% restored or original car.

Below I've included a link to a 3.2MB pdf document showing a sample of some cars which have been refused for modifications and some which were approved for import. It's worth noting that all of the examples of approved cars given have their stock wheels and hubcaps on still. One of the rods which they refused is quite mild as well. The blue Model A 5-window has no engine showing, no body modifications at all and only the wheels, ride height and paint immediately give it away as a hot-rod. Presumably this indicates that if you change the wheels, paint and ride height of any other car it will also be refused entry to Australia.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/importing_...

Memberpunkrokka
Learner Dubber

posted on January 23rd, 2011 at 06:14 AM

Cheers for that, the car has stock wheels & engine and is at stock height and in original paint colour although the hood colour was changed when replaced. So if I never wanted to change anything I could give it a shot and stay lhd.

The cost of bringing it over compared to finding something else will probably put me off in the end, just sad to let it go.

If it's an Australian registered rhd car am I right in thinking you can make changes, get classic car insurance on it and drive as a daily without any restriction?
Memberwaveman1500
Custom Title Time!
Also rides a Honda

Threads: 13

posted on January 23rd, 2011 at 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by punkrokkaIf it's an Australian registered rhd car am I right in thinking you can make changes, get classic car insurance on it and drive as a daily without any restriction?

Yes, absolutely, as long as you pay full registration on it. Full registration is just under $700 a year in SA for a four-cylinder car. If you're not planning on driving it everyday then you could get Historic registration, which costs less than $200 a year but only permits you to drive it for 90 days per year.

MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare
Now containing 100% E-Wang

Threads: 211

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Purple
Mood: Tact Level 0.00

posted on January 23rd, 2011 at 09:50 AM

I dont know that the law is aus wide, may only be an SA thing.

A mate of mine brings several cars back from the US a year and most are modded US muscle cars like 'vettes, camaros, mustangs etc all LHD.

last year he brought back a 72 Karmann Ghia which was lowered on riverias, hot 1776 engine, sports steering wheel etc.
All it needed for a blue slip was new RHD headlights, new ADR seatbelts and new tailights as the US ones were red indicators

As long as he stays before 79 or 80 it's all good
Memberragged
A.k.a.: David
Wolfsburg Wizard
Just ask if you need HELP!

No Avatar

Threads: 46

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: Medication seems to be working

posted on January 23rd, 2011 at 12:52 PM

It's easy enough to get an import approval, it's getting it registered that creates the pain. The long and the short of it is, in South Oz they don't want left hand drive cars on the road, especially if it's a high performance vehicle. Our roads are designed for right hand drive.

Sell the LHD and buy a RHD and ship that to Oz. As was stated earlier, real convertables are rare in Oz.

Dave
Memberpunkrokka
Learner Dubber

posted on January 23rd, 2011 at 09:47 PM

Thanks all

Go To Top